Track and loco wheel cleaning

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by dkent22, May 11, 2006.

1. dkent22

dkent22 New Member

I would like some imput on the best methods for track and loco wheel cleaning. I use the brite boy now but need to know if there is a better way. Also , how often do I need to lube the locos and what is the best lube?
  2. Marxed

Marxed Member

what gauge of trains do you run?
  3. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Welcome to The Gauge :wave:

I use a Bright Boy in combination with a Masonite pad on my track. I clean my locos with alcohol and a cotton swab, tougher greases and oils may take mineral spirits and a swab---careful around the plastic. For regular running on the club layout, we lay a piece of paper towel acroos the program track, spritz it with alcohol, notch up the throttle and run the dirt off the wheels.
  4. allan

allan New Member

And don't get too excited about lubricating your locos. Overlubrication is a much bigger problem than no lubrication at all. The exception is locos (usually old) that have metal gearsets.
  5. dkent22

dkent22 New Member

i'm running ho gauge.
  6. Ralph

Ralph's for fun!

Hi, and welcome! You'll probably get more responses to your questions..track cleaning in particular is a topic that comes up periodically. There are several methods and commercial products available and everyone seems to have their preferences! You might try our "search" feature up above and type in "track cleaning" which will give you a list of past threads that include those words in their posts. Some have thread titles about track cleaning that will make it obvious. :)

As for me, I've been trying a very old method using tiny amounts of Wahl clipper oil on the track and am very satified with the results. I'll avoid redundancy to that thread by posting a link to it here if anyone wants to comment about that. cleaning

7. Relic

Relic Member

Welcome aboard 22
    Me,myself, sometimes I use alcohol and sometimes I use contact cleaner, and believe it or don't sometimes I use some stuff in a can with no label, hane NO IDEA what it is but it seems to work. I have trouble with the idea of putting oil on the track even though fourty two million people swear by it.
  8. MopacNut

MopacNut New Member

I use lacquer thinner in a Tony's Trains track cleaning tank car. I'm looking for some cars to follow it around and wipe the track in order to be even better at cleaning up what it softens up on the track.
  9. jim currie

jim currie Active Member

:wave welcome to the gauge :wave:another Wahl and Masonite user.
  10. dkent22

dkent22 New Member

track cleaning

Thanks to all that have replyed. This is my first large scale layout and I want to do it right. The knowledge available in this forum is invaluable. It's a godsend to a newbie like me.
  11. lester perry

lester perry Active Member

Wahl oil, radio shack tuner degreaser on centerline everyonce in a while. But I have found that RUN IT and RUN IT and RUN IT some more seems to be the best for me.
  12. Gil Finn

Gil Finn Active Member

wipe them dowm with 90% isopropenal.
  13. billwv

billwv Member

I tried a method detailed in one of these forums -- I can't seem to locate it now.

The method: From Radio Shack use: TV Tuner Cleaner and Electronic Cleaner.
    1st apply Electronic cleaner with cloth -- little amount goes a long way.
    Wipe it off with cloth.
    Next apply TV Tuner Cleaner -- agian a little goes a long way.
    After some time wipe off any excess with cloth.

Prior to this method I was cleaning track every 10 days or so. My layout is a small switching layout with many switches. A lot of stop and start and very slow speed running -- less than 1 smph over turnouts, etc. at times.

I cleaned track with the above method -- it has now been three months and there is no indication of dirty track. Just the other day I run an Atlas loco at 0.5 smph over the length of the layout just to test -- no problem.

I am running DCC and HO -- mostly Atlas locos and Peco insul frog turnouts.

14. Harold Cole

Harold Cole Member

I've been running Track Guard to clean the track,after it is clean i use a little Wahl oil and that combo seems to work good for me.
  15. jimbogibbo

jimbogibbo Member

track cleaning

how often should i clean my track ?
  16. jim currie

jim currie Active Member

depends on how often you use it i run a car with a masonite pad in allmost every train then wahl the rails about once every 2 months.
  17. jimbogibbo

jimbogibbo Member

track cleaning

Thanks Jim.:wave:
  18. lester perry

lester perry Active Member

When ever it needs it. I think you will find that it changes as the season change. Unless you are in a climate controled area.
  19. jimbogibbo

jimbogibbo Member

I drive my trains almost every day for relaxation.!!!