track adhesive for trestle

Discussion in 'FAQs' started by gab146, Apr 12, 2007.

1. gab146

gab146 New Member

I've built a wood trestle and am using MicroEng flex track. I need to know what kind of adhesive to use to secure the plastic ties to the wooden trestle that won't make a big mess/show.

2. TruckLover

TruckLover Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer

I use regular old white glue, works well and hold well also, just don't use to much and it wont squeeze out everywere and you will never be able to see it :thumb:
  3. gab146

gab146 New Member

white glue

Josh, have plenty of that but it's not recommended for non porous materials such as the plastic ties....I'll give it a test.
  4. TruckLover

TruckLover Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer

WOW, I didn't know that, I have used it since I started lol

Let's see what others recomend :D
  5. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

I'm not sure about the M.E. flex track, but their bridge track has ties that appear to be made from engineering plastic, which doesn't glue very well with any type of glue. I used ca to fasten it to styrene M.E. viaducts, and Atlas and Central Valley bridges. It seems to have held so far, but I wouldn't trust the bond if the bridges were handled very much, as this type of glue seems to weaken over time, especially if there's no mechanical connection between parts, such as a pin or interlocking joints.

6. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Member

I just glued Atlas flex trak with plastic ties to a wooden trestle using Liquid Nails for Projects. I dabbed a very thin layer on the underside of the ties and then clamped it to the trestle top plate stringers overnight. Worked great.:thumb:

Attached Files:

7. tjohn

tjohn New Member

The Testors wood & metal glue in the green tube has worked well for me.
  8. gab146

gab146 New Member

Oh my!!

9. tjohn

tjohn New Member

I normally pick-up the green tube of Testers at Wal-Mart
  10. NCMRailroad

NCMRailroad Member

WELDBOND white glue is NOT just any simple ol' white glue and it does what it claims! "BONDS almost ANYTHING! Give it a chance, I don't think you'll be disapointed. It is a bit more expensive than the regular type of white glue but I have discovered it bonds everything I ever applied it too, including non pourous items. (metal, plastic...)
    The other type of glue that comes to mind is a CA gel glue from LOCKTITE. It is in a space aged shape bottle which is squeezed on both sides (I suggest the "blue" colored) as I also find this to be an excellent glue for fastening difficult objects (non pourous) together. Both the WELDBOND and Loc-tite glues are found in Walmart as well.
    Hope this helps...
  11. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Member