track adhesive for trestle

gab146

Apr 9, 2007
I've built a wood trestle and am using MicroEng flex track. I need to know what kind of adhesive to use to secure the plastic ties to the wooden trestle that won't make a big mess/show.

thnks

gab146

Apr 9, 2007
white glue

Josh, have plenty of that but it's not recommended for non porous materials such as the plastic ties....I'll give it a test.

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
I'm not sure about the M.E. flex track, but their bridge track has ties that appear to be made from engineering plastic, which doesn't glue very well with any type of glue. I used ca to fasten it to styrene M.E. viaducts, and Atlas and Central Valley bridges. It seems to have held so far, but I wouldn't trust the bond if the bridges were handled very much, as this type of glue seems to weaken over time, especially if there's no mechanical connection between parts, such as a pin or interlocking joints.

Wayne

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2002
Big Valley, California
I just glued Atlas flex trak with plastic ties to a wooden trestle using Liquid Nails for Projects. I dabbed a very thin layer on the underside of the ties and then clamped it to the trestle top plate stringers overnight. Worked great.:thumb:

Attachments

• pile trestle 2.jpg
    pile trestle 2.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 71

gab146

Apr 9, 2007
Oh my!!

Doc Holliday said:
.......... Liquid Nails for Projects.

And I always thought the Liquid Nails I read about in track laying, was referring to the construction adhesive and went and used it to lay some of the track on my diorama..worked but it was a bit messy but I don't think the track will ever move.

I assume the Liquid Nails Project you're referring to comes in a tube with a screw on cap and states it's used for repairing furniture amongst other things.

I can get that here in Truckee so I'll give it a try as I'm leary about the white glue and I'd have to get to a hobby shop (or somewhere bigger than Truckee) to find the Testors.

thanks.

NCMRailroad

Jul 29, 2006
WELDBOND white glue is NOT just any simple ol' white glue and it does what it claims! "BONDS almost ANYTHING! Give it a chance, I don't think you'll be disapointed. It is a bit more expensive than the regular type of white glue but I have discovered it bonds everything I ever applied it too, including non pourous items. (metal, plastic...)
The other type of glue that comes to mind is a CA gel glue from LOCKTITE. It is in a space aged shape bottle which is squeezed on both sides (I suggest the "blue" colored) as I also find this to be an excellent glue for fastening difficult objects (non pourous) together. Both the WELDBOND and Loc-tite glues are found in Walmart as well.
Hope this helps...
NCMR

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2002
Big Valley, California
gab146 said:
Doc Holliday said:
.......... Liquid Nails for Projects.

And I always thought the Liquid Nails I read about in track laying, was referring to the construction adhesive and went and used it to lay some of the track on my diorama..worked but it was a bit messy but I don't think the track will ever move.

I assume the Liquid Nails Project you're referring to comes in a tube with a screw on cap and states it's used for repairing furniture amongst other things.

LN makes several different variations, each for a different target type of use. I've used two on my layout. Both came in cardboard tubes and you use a calking gun to dispense. No reseabale cap, although I found a wire nut works good. It might come in a resealable tube, I don't know.

I first used LN for projects, then switched to LN for Project (Foam). The first is a lot gooier, has a stronger smell, but bond quicker. Clean up required mineral spirits or similar to cut. It did eat into the foam a little, but no to bad since I left teh plastic cover on when I glued it to my plywood. I then switched to the one for foam. It's less sticky, and has almost no odor (at least that I can smell). It might not bond as tight as the other LN products, but it works for everything I've tried. Both allow you to adjust whatever you're gluing which is why I don't like CA type glues for this kind of use.
Doc