Toys R Us vs. Radioshack

Discussion in 'RC Onroad Forum' started by vette_7t9, Nov 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vette_7t9

vette_7t9 Member

Hi Im new

Im just wondering what you guys think is better, toys r us or radioshack.

I am considering buying a Fast Lane Subaru WRX for $99 canadian at toys r us. It is 1:10 scale and has 9.6V motor. Does anything at radioshack compare? I also saw something similar at walmart. AM I wasting my money on this? I just want a cheap rc for kicks.
  2. rcosmax

rcosmax Member

IMO spend a little more cash and buy it from a hobby shop, ask which kits can be upgraded/repaired, all of the cars that my brother and I got from radioshak/walmart when we were kids soon broke and could never be fixed, just my 2 cents worth. have fun.
  3. vette_7t9

vette_7t9 Member

Well thats true, hobbys do cost a lot and i just want to get one to bang around. I went to radioshack again, and they have a very good selection of good cars. There are 4wd models and i test drove one it has so much power! It also has 4 wheel IRS. Any oppinions?
  4. rc-crazy

rc-crazy New Member

omg juss stop and go buy urself a real hobby car for 20 dollars more. and if u still cant wait a week for 20 more dollars then dont even waste ur time and poat somtin else wit that walmart crap
  5. tfhughes_28

tfhughes_28 Member

Stay away from radioshack and Wal-mart/Toys-r-us and all the others. Trust me, you will be so much happier with hobby shop r/c's. Buy a good used one and you should be alright. None of those places have amything that will even remotely compare to the hobby shop r/c. Just a thought
  6. Gr84u

Gr84u New Member

Ahh, yes never again will I buy anything from radio shack and toys'r'us RC wise. Want to know why they break and can't be fixed is once something minor breaks, it is grabage. The problem between a real RC car, and a cheap one is that the one that you get from radioshack and TRU is that they have huge MOFO'king chips that control the whole car, which makes it virtually impossible to fix.

*NEW* Laser Body Kits available, e-mail me. A substitute for LEDS, much cooler and brighter.
  7. timrock

timrock Active Member

hmmmm RADIO SHACK vs.Toys R us ?good question.to me it looks like they are a tie.its a draw between the both of them.they both come in fist place for having the worst `rc cars`.Wal-mart comes in about the same.i would only pay about 20$ for their best one.though they carge about 100$.
    for $100 you can get a Traxxas Spirit with everything you need for it and ready to run(prebuilt)that is worth the $.you can change the gearing upgrade to modified motor and more.

oh and you mentioned that the one car from Radio Shack that you tryed and said it had a lot of power?that ant sh it...
  8. rcosmax

rcosmax Member

Let us know how many minutes of driving time you get on the walmart/crappyshack car! oops sorry I meant seconds.
  9. vette_7t9

vette_7t9 Member

sure hehe. I had a subaru impreza shipped to me, but didnt come yet. 1:10 scale, 9.6V. It is by the company Fast Lane, although I found out it is a rebadged Nikko Evolution Impreza WRC. As soon as I get it, I will road test it, rally test it, and do some slalom and accel. test. Then comes your long awaited running endurance test. My hopes are for 25-30 minutes. Meanwhile, I have about $50 saved up for a pro hobby car. I should be able to get one in around 2 months. Then I can see how it stacks up against the impreza.
  10. rcosmax

rcosmax Member

Good luck! and have fun!
  11. timrock

timrock Active Member

a Nikko?you have alot to learn about the rc world.i didnt think i would find anyone on here to say they bought a Nikko.That thing runs on `AA` batteries!(laughing)
    i can give you an idea what the difference is in performance.that Nikko goes about 1000-1200 feet per minute.1350 feet per minute is only 15 mph.so it goes less than that.the real RCs mesure in MPH.the fastest i had my car clocked at was 126mph.when i have the typical setup ,just to screw around in a mid size parking lot,it tops out at about 40mph and takes less than three seconds to reach 40mph.with a run time of about 7-10 minutes per charge.depending on how hard i drive it.it is also a 1:10 scale electric powered.12`C` size cells,14 turn double wind motor.
  12. vette_7t9

vette_7t9 Member

I also saw a company called Cosstar. It was sold at a pro hobby shop. It is also HIGHLY affordable compared to other RCs at that shop. Any opinions on the Cosstar Impreza?
  13. timrock

timrock Active Member

yeah.it its a peice of crap.reciever and motor/steering controls are all on one circut board.you cant do anything to it or with it.
    it is only good for a young child.it is a child`s toy.
  14. vette_7t9

vette_7t9 Member

Many small RCs are like that, and people modify them too. By putting in relays and turbo condensors and turbo chips and such. I guess i could try modifying that impreza based on guidelines for a 1:10 car and 9.6V of power. Owell, if it fails, it aint a big loss.
  15. tfhughes_28

tfhughes_28 Member

vette_7t9,

We don't mean to diss your car bud, but this is a poor place to try and "brag" about cars from Radioshack and Toys-R-Us and so on. If you want a car that will only go as fast as it does when you get it and can't be modified then those stores are great. I had my Yokomo MR-4TC SP into my local Radioshack (my friends work there...hehe) and gave them a race against there top of the line car (mercedes or bmw or something like that). Anyways my car literaly smoked the car they had, and i was only running a mild motor and a 3000 NiMH battery. It is all in what you want and can afford. I have bought my oldest son (8) a Duratrax Evader for christmas to try and get him out of the Radioshack crap...like i mentioned before you can likely get a good used one for a decent price.
  16. A.radio shack or B.wally world? C. None of the Above.
    C.None of the Above.
    Go to a hobby shop and spend 20% more to get something that isn't a throw away piece of junk. The Radio shack ones are fun but when they break and they will they sit around for a few months and finally get tossed. I have an electric buggy that is 10 years old you can still get parts for it.
  17. bro

bro New Member

well good question,
    I am 35 now and 32 as my wife.
    I bought a radioshack Monster Dodge 2 weeks ago, and I like it:D,
    I can hit the wall without any problem[:p], I drove around on snow and snowing at the same time without any problem[:p], my three years old son can be able to chase it[:I], I have no plan to upgrade anything but battery, 2 weeks later which is yesterday I bought the Hummer H2 at radioshack again for my wife coz my wife keep playing my Dodge when we were at the park where my son always go:D.
    I have a hobby car when I was 17, yes I upgrade, replace broken parts every two weeks $$$:( after all around 1-1/2 years it went to my basement and I dont even touch it coz I have a real car.
    Just like to give vette_7t9 some of my 2cents.
    BTW vette_7t9
    If you are looking for performance you should go for pro hobby cars, if not; like me a weekend player only you may try the one in Radioshack BMW M3, the Porsche 911 GT2 or the new Hobby-Class RC Viper, they have hobby cars motor in it but they are pretty heavy coz they use plastic for most of it. Some of the Radioshack cars can order OEM parts now but not RC cars selling at Toys-R-Us or Walmart, reminder I dont think it's a very good idea to upgrade cheap RC car like the one with one circut board for all coz you meant fry the circut board if you change the motor or something else.[8D]
  18. vette_7t9

vette_7t9 Member

Ya I have tested the M3, and it is extremely fast(in my opinion). It burns out the stores rug floor! But are you sure the dodge can drive in snow? dont you mess up the electronics?
  19. vette_7t9

vette_7t9 Member

i hav also another question. For these types of cheap just for kicks cars, are the cars better or the trucks? just wanted to know.
  20. bro

bro New Member

First question about the playing on snow, there is a cover for the circut board so it's pretty save, I did it without problem.
    Second question if you like speed go for cars, if you are looking for fun truck has more fun coz you can play on anywhere like snow, dirt, mud, grass, little offroad condition... but cars is only on flat surface:D
    BTW the M3 has too much power for a beginner so take sometime to learn than go for a hobby car.
    I still think Radioshack cars or trucks are pretty reasonable coz they include the remote just not the battery and charger.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.