Toy Shop - Mechanical Models

Discussion in 'Internet Finds' started by gmontag451, Jan 2, 2008.

1. gmontag451

gmontag451 New Member

I recently created a page to share model parts from an 80's Commodore 64 program
    called "The Toy Shop!" There are all the parts for 20 different models:

Paper Modeling

2. jaffro

jaffro Long term member

Thanks for sharing that, I have very fond memories of commodore computers from "back in the day". I don't recall this program though... all I can really remember is spending 45 minutes to load the lunar lander game from the tape drive only to end up playing for about 10 minutes before I was over it and spent another 45 minutes loading the next game. :D
  3. gmontag451

gmontag451 New Member

Thanks! It's a lot of fun working on the page and reminiscing. The Toy Shop was my introduction to paper modeling, and has always been very dear to me. And the models aren't too simple or too complicated either.

I know what you mean about the Comodore's long loading times, I love my Commodore, but if I can use an emulator instead it's soooo much faster!
  4. gmontag451

gmontag451 New Member

Full instructions are now up with all 20 models, as well as photos of the finished models.
  5. Triop

Triop Member

There great ! thanks ! working on a mini steam-engine right now : 7 cm...

6. gmontag451

gmontag451 New Member

Incredible! It looks so cool in miniature! Now you need to make the other steam things to go with it, I wonder if they'd still work? Thanks so much for the picture!
  7. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

I'm having trouble downloading. It's saying my browser (IE6) isn't compatible. Any ideas?
  8. gmontag451

gmontag451 New Member

I don't know about that, I submitted a support request to MediaFire to find out. Their site claims compatibility with IE5, however, and I'm using IE7, so perhaps you need to update your Java?

I would be happy to email you the files, but if it's happening to everyone, I'd need a better solution. If they are not compatible with IE6, I'd have to find a different free file host. Any suggestions?

The site has had 540 hits with over 400 +/- downloads so it does work; maybe someone else with IE6 can verify if they have issues too?
  9. Ron Caudillo

Ron Caudillo Creative Advisory Consultant Moderator

No problems downloading

I use IE 6 and did not have a single problem downloading a few days ago.

Best Regards,
    Ron Caudillo
  10. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

Thanks for the offer. I'll play with my browser options to see if I can get it to work.
  11. Triop

Triop Member

Steam engine update :

Don't think it will work....sign1
  12. gmontag451

gmontag451 New Member

That is very cool. I know lots of people do models in miniature but I never really thought about doing it myself. Now I want to make one! Maybe the Spirit of St. Louis...

On the subject of IE6, I got this from MediaFire:

Hi, Thank you for contacting us. There should not be a compatibility issue, as long as javascript is enabled in their browsers. Do you know what happens when they try to download the file? Best regards, Amanda, The MediaFire Team

If you can't get yours to work, PM me and I'll try to work it out with MediaFire, or you could contact them directly if you like.
  13. elf

elf Member

thoes are cute thank you
  14. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

Thanks for looking into it. I'll contact them directly and send them a screenshot of the problem.

Nice job on the steam engine!
  15. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

I built the medieval catapult. It turned out OK after I reenforced the throwing arm. The first throwing arm got all crumpled due to the force of the elastic band. I used a piece of scrap cardstock the same length as the throwing arm and a little bit wider than the widest face and folded it into thirds, forming a Z shaped support. The holes for the dowels were marked and cut then the support was glued lengthwise into the throwing arm. Works good now and seems to be able to withstand the force of the elastic band. So far the furthest distance thrown using some tissue balled up and hardened with some glue is around 10 feet or just over 3 meters. The projectile has a diameter of 1/4" or around 6.35mm. Not sure what the weight is.

It looks like the bumper beam might need some internal reenforcement too. The throwing arm hits it with some force. So far it looks OK, with just a little bit of crumpling.

Some extra weight was put on the trigger at the end opposite the trigger handle. That helps it to fall into place better when the throwing arm is brought down with the windlass.

It is a fun little toy to play with, and could become quite annoying to the target(s). :) :razz:
  16. gmontag451

gmontag451 New Member

Thanks for the info. I made a working 50% sized Medieval Catapult last week and I'm working on a full sized one now. The mini-catapult is able to throw a crumpled Post-It Note almost ten feet, and doesn't need reinforcement. (50% size is of course more or less in scale with the original cardstock thickness.) The only problem I had was that I used stiff wire instead of dowels, and the super glue comes detached quite easily.

The Toy Shop cardstock was twice the thickness of regular cardstock, so I'm working on writing up a list of improvements the models need if built with regular cardstock. There are definitely some models that need reinforcement in places if they are to be functional. I'll post when I complete it. It may be a while since I need to actually build each one again with standard carstock. If anyone wants to share their own experience, please let me know!
  17. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Great stuff! Thanks for the site :)
  18. KCStephens

KCStephens Member

Here are a few pics of the antique truck that I built back in '86 from the vintage software on my IBM PC XT and Epson dot matrix printer. Had to color in the pages w/ colored pencils. Boy we've come a long way!

Attached Files:

19. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

I have found that sanding the wire gives the smooth metal a "tooth" that allows the glue to grab hold of the wire a little better. It works good most of the time, but sometimes the metal just wants to stay contrary.

The Carousel went together easy and works good. I noticed that the lower ends of the poles sometimes slipped off of the ramp and got hung up. A little persuasive, gentle bending gets them to stay in line, though.

I mirrored the horses and printed those images on plain paper and glued them on the inboard side of the horses on the poles. That hides the poles when the horses are opposite the viewer so it looks more like the poles are coming up through the horses. :)
  20. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I am DEFINTELY gonna build a catapult soon - anyone have any pics of their build? Please? :)

I need to put it next to by trebuchet on my desk at work - maybe I can have a war with my buddy across the aisle!