Totally off topic however statisitics are a hoot ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

theBear

Oct 1, 2004
In the woods of Maine
60103 said:
Dave: your nuumbers cover accidental deaths only.
What about intentional ones?
Not my numbers David, I expect that it is still possible that doctors accidentaly off more folks than there are gun deaths.

I'll do some digging and see what I can find.

theBear said:
Not my numbers David, I expect that it is still possible that doctors accidentaly off more folks than there are gun deaths.

I'll do some digging and see what I can find.
I think you'll find that intentional deaths by gunshots are far greater than intentional deaths by medical malpractice. Few inner-city citizens worry about drive-by apendectomies.

This joke still compares apples with oranges. But you're right, statistics are a hoot.

Here's more:

According to the FBI, in the year 2000:
Roughly 10,000 US citizens were murdered with guns.
Roughly 16,000 killed themselves with guns.
776 were accidentally killed by guns
308 were killed by police using guns in the line of duty.
138 killed by private citizens and ruled justifiable homicide.
Source: CBSnews.com

My calculation: A private citizen's gun is 116 times more likely to be used for murder or suicide than to kill in self-defense.

Wayne

capt_turk

Nov 14, 2004
Green Cove Springs, Fla.
My thoughts are that the people who kill themselves with guns are too stupid to own a gun, or to live, for that matter, and we are better off without them. It's called "natural selection". I know that's not PC, but then again I'm not PC to begin with, and don't intend to ever be.

theBear

Oct 1, 2004
In the woods of Maine
Muddy Creek said:
I think you'll find that intentional deaths by gunshots are far greater than intentional deaths by medical malpractice. Few inner-city citizens worry about drive-by apendectomies.

This joke still compares apples with oranges. But you're right, statistics are a hoot.

Here's more:

According to the FBI, in the year 2000:
Roughly 10,000 US citizens were murdered with guns.
Roughly 16,000 killed themselves with guns.
776 were accidentally killed by guns
308 were killed by police using guns in the line of duty.
138 killed by private citizens and ruled justifiable homicide.
Source: CBSnews.com

My calculation: A private citizen's gun is 116 times more likely to be used for murder or suicide than to kill in self-defense.

Wayne
Wayne the CDC says 30,708 total in firearms deaths in the US in 1998 and it has been declining so the CBS figures are probably correct (got to check on them birds).

So doctors accidently off more people than total firearms related deaths in the US
eek.gif

Your calculation is a funny one as well since it does not account for violent crimes prevented by a citizen using his gun to prevent a crime without actually discharging the weapon.

The folks that worry about guns should worry about the highways even more 1997 43,200 deaths.

And as for wasting E/R resources also from 1997:

1. Baseball/softball 404,000

2. Dog bites 334,000

3. Playground 267,000

4. ATV's, mopeds 125,000

5. Volleyball 98,000

6. In-line skating 76,000

7. Horseback riding 71,000

8. Baby walkers 28,000

9. Skateboards 25,000

Will someone please locate stats for doctors intending to off people.

jetrock

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
N Gauger said:
When guns are outlawed................can we go back to using swords!??? :D :D :D

Maybe not...Australia recently introduced a sword-registration bill. And besides, the outlaws kept their guns.

theBear

Oct 1, 2004
In the woods of Maine
Muddy Creek said:
We're still comparing apples with oranges.

Wayne

(Going back to some train stuff, now.)
Yes and no.

I already took a break to run some switching puzzles. Trying to get my knuckle busting into an art form.

I also managed to get three locos (one DC, two DCC) playing on my 4' by 7" puzzle layout. Fun was had since no crashes happened
biggrin.gif

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Ohio passed a right to carry law after many years of this law being voted down by the State's law makers.You need to get a right to carry permit..This can be had by going to firearm safety course and then to the firing range showing you know how to use your gun safely..I fully believe is is a direct result of 9/11/01..You see gun sales is still going strong even 4 years after the terrorist attack.
All to sadly I just can't talk myself into carrying a 44/40 tied down low even though I have a permit to carry a concealed firearm.
A side note.When I went to the firing range I took my trusty 44 MAG and 44 Mag auto mag...My classmates was using "pop" guns 22s,32s,38s and 9mm.
When it came my turn to fire the instructor wanted to know if I ever shot those "cannons" I call a hand gun.I said yes sir you betcha.
He said lock and load and fire at will..I took a 2 hand shooters stance and "BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! spoke my 44.I hit the target all three times with the rounds about a 1"-1 1/4" apart in the center. I broke out the 44 auto mag and did the same.The instructor said not bad..
A 30 something lady spoke up and said"Look! Its Dirty Larry!" And older gentleman stated he hopes to get his hearing back as he forgot to put his ear plugs on.A older lady said My goodness what was that? Some wag spoke up and said it was a hand held howitzer.

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Mikey,The only reason I use my 44 mags is because I didn't have rounds for my .38 or .357..I should have bought a box of .38s but...You now how that goes.
I don't think I could repeat those 6 shots with those mags if I tried.I am far better with my .38 then my .357 or 44s.I ain't complainin' though. :D

ausien

Sep 14, 2004
Sydney, Austrailia
If your a crim, its easy to get a hand gun here, if you are an honest man it takes an act of god to even get the right forms to get permision to aply for a hand gun licence.

I have fired a 8 shot .22 revolver(remington) 38 snub nose and 357 mag and an anteque black powder muzel loading peice all on a pistol club range, it was fun, but noisy I much prefer rifle shooting i`ve shot dingo`s, pigs, and roo`s as well as at the rifle range at paper targets not much satisfaction in shooting paper,my 243, 270, rugars or my 458 weatherby much beter at the open range of the bush and the knowlage that if you miss you dont eat. Mind you that was many years ago for me, but i still get offered a shooting trip now and again, one day I might take my mate up on it just to give him the s###s, and to see his reaction.... have a good one..steve

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
ausien said:
If your a crim, its easy to get a hand gun here, if you are an honest man it takes an act of god to even get the right forms to get permision to aply for a hand gun licence.

Here in Florida, it takes about $75 and a safety/certification course for a concealed carry permit. It's something I'm still considering but, with two small children, I'll never have a pistol in the house. I do have several long guns and love the looks on a greenhorn's face when I go to the range and let off 13 3" 12 gauge treble ot magnum rounds in rapid succession :rolleyes: :p ;)

jetrock

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
Living in the People's Republic of California we have lots of silly restrictions on what we can buy--even with the expired federal sport-utility rifles ban, we have a stricter state law that prevents us from buying just about any rifle with a pistol grip or made of black polymer. If it has a rifle stock made of wood it's just fine, though... We're a long way from a concealed-carry law, and San Francisco's mayor wants to ban handguns entirely.

While Arnold isn't particularly pro-gun he has vetoed a couple of bad anti-gun bills--he did sign the .50 BMG ban, but since the law only prohibits .50 BMG specifically, you can just build a rifle chambered for a round .010" shorter, rebate your old .50 cartridges by that much, and rename it the ".50 Girlyman" cartridge and it's perfectly legal...

Status
Not open for further replies.