Totally off topic but cool

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by Ron, Mar 15, 2004.

1. Ron

Ron Member

Hi All

Piotr of Kartonworks got me to try out this amazing piece of software called Skype. It's from the makers of Kazaa (the infamous P2P client)
    It allows you to speak over the internet for free to other users of this program. I tried it out for the first time and was blown away at the sound quality. Speaking to Piotr in Dublin, Ireland was like speaking to someone right next door. All that is needed is a reliable connection, a microphone and speakers or headphones. Getting the program to work was a breeze. It even works through most firewalls and contains no spyware. It's as simple as setting up a messenger client...just choose a username and go.
    Anyways, I'm set up and Skype is on. You can get hold of me by using my email address in the search function.

All the best

2. Gil

Gil Active Member

Yeah, it's going to blow the phone companies out of their long distance water. Going to be interesting to see how this "unintended consequence" of the internet revolution develops...,

Best regards, Gil
  3. Ron

Ron Member

Yep, you're absolutely right Gil :)I like what Linux has done in that sphere as well. Why pay for expensive NT servers and software when the linux based hosting is faster, more reliable and next to free. I love what this stuff does!!! Age old monopolies might finally fall apart.

4. paper warrior

paper warrior Member

Just so everyone nows Kazaa got poisoned with viruses(several).
  5. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Do you have more specifics on this? I use the official bought-and-paid-for version of Kazaa...

Other than scanning EVERYTHING that I download, I havent had any trouble that my antivirus software hasnt caught...

Are you talking about the program itself? Or people posting infected files?
  6. paper warrior

paper warrior Member

The program itself, I didn't even know how to use the thing.
  7. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Hmmm okay, I'm not sure of the veracity of that information- as I said, I use the registered, retail version (not the freeware versions that used to be floating around the net) and I have never had a problem with the program itself.

Keep in mind, I scan EVERYTHING I take off the net with Norton Antivirus (the best program- dont use McAffee :mad: ) and update my definitions weekly, so if the Kazaa.exe were infected, it would pick it up.

If you find any material on this, I'd be interested to read it! :)
  8. angevine

angevine Member

This is just some of the many reports regarding viruses linked to Kazaa.exe,1697,2040,00.asp,100344-page,1/article.html
  9. paper warrior

paper warrior Member

I had a freeware version, but it came with different viruses, like rlvntknlg.exe, which re-directed me from until the hard drive got f disk'd.
  10. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

We use Skype at our business, and we are having very good results.

It would be neat if some of us could have a chat with this media.
  11. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Thanks for the links, angevine.

It looks like from the date of the articles (all May of 2002), the issue in question was with the original freeware versions of Kazaa, which are no longer in use.

Of course with all PTP programs, you run the risk of picking up an infected file, but the Kazaa program itself is now clean. :)