TOS Gigantic Galactica Mega Build

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by ekuth, Jan 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bubbahearth

Bubbahearth New Member

can not believe the amount of detail on that! and the lighting is turning out beautifully. Do you use tracing paper for the engines?
  2. Grimsteruk

Grimsteruk New Member

Makes my past puny efforts look pathetic to be honest.

Awesome model though, simply awesome.
  3. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Thanks for the praise.

I've set it aside for the moment, as I need fibre optic cabling before I can go any further...

I did use onion skin (tracing paper) for the engine detailing. It (and the white foam I used to mount the LED's) gave a nice effect.

I did make some more progress before hitting the wall, I'll have to take some pics and post soon.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2014
  4. Revell-Fan

Revell-Fan Co-Administrator Administrator

You are doing a terrific job! It's just amazing. Great!
  5. sorcerer1089

sorcerer1089 New Member

This is epic! I may have missed it in the thread, but I have to ask... Will there be any to-scale vipers flying in or out of the landing bays?
  6. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

Ekuth, have you considered soldering in a NiCad or NiMH battery? If you also wired in a power jack, the battery will charge when it's plugged in, and when it's off the jack it will still light.

All you have to do is solder it right into the circuit. It'll charge itself with no problems, and will continue to power the lights even after they are disconnected from the wall wart. The only complicated bit is you have to supply the same level of power from the wall wart as the rating on the battery. If it's a 9v battery, supply nine volts, etc.
  7. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

*blink, blink*

Why... did I not think of that earlier? Damn good idea, Millenium.

*goes digging in the Box Of Parts(tm)*
  8. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

"Pics soon..." he says. Uh huh.

Well, way past time for an update.

I've been working on the old girl sporadically. The main problem has been twofold:

Lighting is taken care of; still going with the LED approach.
    Assembly is where I'm bogging. Or was.

See, I was doing it in subsections; complete basics, then light, then greeble.

Trouble is, nothing was getting done. No sense of completion towards the whole.

Solution? Complete the basics, light the sections, assemble sections and THEN I'll greeble the damn thing.

Much more practical. Feeling of accomplishment achieved to drive work forward.

Redoing the nose was a major PITA... but it's coming along.

So, where's the pics?

Ask, and ye shall receive.

First, as mentioned before, she's *BIG*. Here's a shot in front of my couch, with barstool and fuzzy cat for size comparison.

Okay, let's get her on her belly and take some lighted shots. These are not retouched or enhanced, were taken without flash with all the house lights on. One thing I wanted to achieve with this is BRIGHT lights under normal lighting. I'd say I'm achieving it. As you can see, the bay is still undergoing work. I figured out I had to leave it unskinned until all the lights were ran.

Nose shot, showing the bridge. This damn bridge has been the single most difficult area to get looking right. I swear I've reworked it a dozen times.

After growing increasingly frustrated with the fibre-optic option (lack of supply/cost/difficulty getting the brightness and look I wanted) I was looking at my gluesticks when the idle thought hit me...

What would happen if I stuck an LED in the end of one of those? Would it glow? Could I use this to do the long stretches of windows I needed?

Yup. In fact it works very well... in fact I used this technique to light the entire nose with the sole exception of the bridge, which is the only fibre optic part of the build. Close up of the inside of the bay lighting:

Looking fore from the aft:

Yes, the landing bay is lit as well... here's a viper's eye view of the approach, looking past the main engine assembly:

More below.
  9. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Let's get a better look at that approach:

Close up of the engine side textures I was speaking about before. Much better at this scale I think:

Huh? Oh, the bay. Yeah, yeah:

What's that? You thought you saw something in there? Just your imagination, pilot. Any captured Cylon craft are purely figments of your imagination. Now report to security for debriefing.

Ah, the nose- the nose. WHY did I have to notice that recessed area in the reference shots? But behold, it's not just recessed, it's layered. wall1
    I hate myself. But it's going to be worth it. Rough now, obviously and there's some light leakage issues to deal with:

As usual, I've taken liberties with the light placement. The original Galactica studio model was, in my opinion... underlit. I like mine better, don't you?

More below...
    Sky Seeker likes this.
  10. i3pm

i3pm New Member

now that looks like the real prop they use in the movies.
  11. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Ah, but how/where are you putting all those battery boxes? (Still toying with the idea of rechargable battery/wall wart) Well, thanks to some judicious space management and some clever access panel placement:

The weight of the packs keeps it closed and once it's greebled, you won't be able to even know it's there. Enough space to change out the batteries, ect has been allowed for. Once the other bay/arm is on and the lighting ran, I'll be closing up the bottom of the mid hull completely.

So, that's the state of the old girl as of current. My goal is to get the major assemblies done so I can move on to the more interesting and tedious job of greebling the hell out of the ship.

Thoughts/comments/suggestions appreciated.
  12. ThunderChild

ThunderChild Active Member

Dam that dam bridge looks dam good! :D And the size of that beast! The Cylons should be cr@pping their metallic pants!
    Ekuth your lighting is really spectacular! That gluestick works like a charm! You may have inspired me to do the same with my DS9 once its ready!
  13. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

Words can't describe how cool this is, Ekuth! GREAT work so far, but *DARN* do you really need *ALL* those battery packs?! Most lighting dudes get by with one or two, but *TEN*? This thing really consumes thirty volts?! :eek:

Two or ten packs, this thing is *still* an AWESOME build! You gonna tackle a Star Destroyer any time soon? :wink:

Also, since Galactica was partially inspired by Star Wars, I think an X-wing would feel right in the starboard landing bay. :cool:
  14. Rhaven Blaack

Rhaven Blaack ADMINISTRATOR Administrator

This is an AMAZING model. You are doing a WONDERFUL job on it. The amount to detail that you have put into this model is fantastic.
    You could also build a BR Thunderfighter (to scale of course) in BSG colours and put it in the other landing bay pod. :)
  15. Tirick

Tirick Member

That is stunning. Really top-notch building and planning!
  16. SEBRET

SEBRET Member

I'm impressed with the light setup. Love it
  17. deadlyduck

deadlyduck New Member

now thats just nuts... I LOVE it :)
  18. Greenman

Greenman Member

I've always believed that a starship should have lights.:mrgreen:
    This is amazing!!!!
    Thank you for such an inspiring thread and showing all of your progress.
    Truly a master.:inw::inw::inw:
  19. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

There are those who believe that models here... began out there...

Far across the universe in the depths of my project closet, there lay a Battlestar.

The last Battlestar- Galactica.

/cue theme music

Okay, enough maudlin meandering. Yes, here I am again, almost a year later... with an update.

Why a year? Because it's been the year from HELL, nuggets. More on that later...

Lighting installed.
    Major assemblies completed and joined.
    Hull plating assembled and installed.
    Major greebling work done, especially on top of hull- midsection.

Still to do:

Finish skinning remaining flight pod/landing bay and support structure on underside of midsection/neck.
    Detail over black join lines on edges of major assemblies.
    Deal with light leakage issues on nose of ship, especially underside.
    Greeble flight pods.

But enough of that, you wanna see pics.

Side nose:

Straight on:

View of partially greebled flight pod/landing bay:

Midsection of ship. Can you see the access for power packs?

Didn't think so. There is is!

From the back. You can see how I've integrated the layering/greebling on the top to make the join seamless. If you didn't know it was there...

More in next post.
  20. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Closer look at the midships greebling. I'm very pleased with how the domes came out, considering the lack of materials that shape and size.

I *hate* rolling tubes, so while digging around, I found something that works really well for those engine ducts... who can call the part?

More greebling on the engine block...

Size. Size, size, size. Everyone wants to know how big it is. BIG. Here's an 18 inch ruler alongside the nose.

Same ruler, on the flight pod/landing bay. Starting to get a feel for the massiveness yet?

And the vertical measurement of the engine height, just for cubits and daggits.

Now, in the next post, what's been going on with me- the ultimate fate of this work and an opportunity for you.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.