TOS Gigantic Galactica Mega Build

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by ekuth, Jan 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RodentMaster

RodentMaster Member

I'd suggest staggereing the ships perpendicular to the runway, and give it a true "layered" look when you look down the deck opening. My thinking is that the vipers didn't launch out of the main bay, they had launch tubes for that! So make it so you see their profile, and then maybe the big shuttle way in the back (more visible over the vipers).

My thinking is they're waiting for the hatches to open at whatever junction they are parked, waiting to move them into the launch tube areas, out of the recovery area...

Just a thought :)
  2. stephen.irl

stephen.irl Member

Wow! Incredible. I love the tiny vipers and shuttle? What scale are theyt ekuth? Same question to you Gearz. I downloaded your viper and pilot. What scale are they? They’re great.
  3. Dr. Aerospace

Dr. Aerospace New Member

Nicely done!

A very ambitious project well executed. Congratulations!
  4. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Thanks all for your kind comments.

@rodent: Something like that. You'll see soon.

@stephen: Scale? Errr... Galactica: Big Vipers: Small. That's your scale. :thumb:

Honestly, I have no clue. My model is Gearz original Galactica, scaled up by 200%. I'm certain some geek inclined person could tell you. I call my Galactica build 1:Insanity scale...

@Dr. Aerospace: Congratulate me when it's over... :oops:

More pics on the way soon. Picked up some new goodies today to work into the project. We'll see how they turn out.
  5. ShadowKnight

ShadowKnight New Member

Great looking build. I like the 3D effect and the lighting.

6. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Some more progress...

Well, I figured it's about time I showed what I've been up to since the last pics...

I've mostly been working on skinning and greebling the end of one of the hangar bays. This has actually proven more difficult than I thought at first to achieve the look I want... (I really need to stop looking at the reference pics of the studio model).

The top has proven especially difficult, but I hit on a solution tonight that works well, I think.

First up, shot of the top of the bay arm. This is the area that's been giving me fits. It's still not done to my satisfaction, but it's 90% there. Still a sloped ramp to put in towards the opening of the bay itself, removal of the fold lines and then the greebling around the actual opening of the bay (the rectangular area).

The main trouble spot was getting the right layered look with the panels and that damnable ribbed greeble in the middle back.

A view from the side. You can clearly see the foam board guts and wiring for the bay. The 'ribs' along the side were a study, let me tell you. Yes, that's our old friend ribbon cable again! That little find is proving indespensible to this build. Yes, it's p****stic, but dammit, I just can't do some of this stuff without it. Compromises are necessary...

The bottom of the end cap. You can also see that I've skinned the bottom of the rest of the arm in preparation for later greebling/layering. The black band on the end cap needs touching up here and there still.

Money shot from the end with the interior bay lights on. The flat area on front top there will become the sloped ramp.

But... but... but Ekuth! You say...
    We wanna see the vipers/shuttle/pilot in the bay!

Well, dammit, I don't have it lit properly yet, but knowing that curiosity is eating you, I quickie taped it to the underside of my desk lamp.

Keep in mind, this light source is WAY WAY too bright and not at all the right spectrum from what the final product will be. So you're just gonna have to make do with this half-assed photo for the time being.

Alright, that's it for tonight.

Thoughts, suggestions?
  7. wedge

wedge Member

Very nice build . Galactica is very good-looking battleship and one of my favourite :) This project is inspiration for my galactica somewhen in the future :rolleyes:
  8. Gearz

Gearz Member

Thanks Stephen. Sorry I can't give you a scale either mate. I have to take my socks off to count past ten, so as ekuth has said, the viper scale is just plain small.

ekuth... Thoughts, Suggestions??

Thoughts ~ Maaan that bay looks excellent ( inside and out) its certainly inspiring, i want to dump everything off the bench and build something BIG.. great subject + great work + I envy those that'll get to see her in the flesh!!

Suggestions ~ just two as food for thought

* probably hair brained, although it might be fun.. Post some or all of the mini files you use, and make a call to arms. ~ The BSG fans following your project, could build a few mini's and help you populate the old girl ( if they were up to your standard of course)

* What good is a bunch of fighters without some bad guys to chase and shoot at..? so how about a tiny Raider or two for the Vipers to sink their fangs into.. maybe a single Raider being chased by a pair of Vipers? i.e. just above the surface of the Galactica ~ in an obscure area so its a sort of a easter egg for admirers etc.

Doh i must be losing it, i can't remember if i sent you this file or posted it somewhere else... Oh well just in case, here's a >> Really Reduced Raider << ** ( Its untested so I'm not to sure the relative scale is spot on with the mini Viper) .

++ I promise ~ no more teeny tiny stuff.. :oops:

Attached Files:

9. stephen.irl

stephen.irl Member

Ekuth: Landing bay looks great. The vipers and shuttle really set it off. No problem about the scale question.

Gearz: I did a quick build on your tini viper and did a rough calculation on it's scale. Turns out to be roughly 1:450.
  10. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

I hope this note finds you well.

You are officially a dead man. Cylon assasination squads have been dispatched to your residence and will be arriving shortly.

Best regards,

Seriously... how many of your models have I beta built?

You're killing me, my friend. Any smaller and I'm gonna need a Scanning Electron Microscope and nano plier manipulators. :mrgreen:

I'm not happy with the results above and will probably rebuild it before display... no major part errors found, but it was incredibly tough to build at this scale. Larger, no problems. Shoot me a full size raider, will you? Oh, and make sure the wings are retractable. :rolleyes:

Yes, I know I reversed the direction of part 1... but it was too late. Cryanoacetate is not a forgiving glue. wall1

Small progresses on the big G, but I'll wait until I have something worth showing before posting pics.
  11. Gearz

Gearz Member

Hey your a good man Stephen!, 1-450 eh, I'll make a note on the file and repost it. thanks mate :thumb:

Dear Mr ekuth, we are sorry but your note was undeliverable, as the recipients address seems to have been vacated rather hurriedly, from tentative enquiry of the local inhabitants, the recipient was last seen sprinting away screaming "They'll have to catch me first". We are at your disposal should you require further efforts to deliver your message. ( additional charges may apply)

Galactic Post

Disclaimer~ Galactic Post wishes to remind clients it will not accept (or has not accepted) responsibility for any consequences, in situations where time dilation and relativistic delivery times, may cause ( or has caused) contradictive reasoning, whereby recipients receive messages before you've sent them. GP

How many beta's? ~ Lotz.. aaahh its the price you pay for being a such a great builder my friend, and if it was left up to me they'd all still be pixels on the screen. I know you would have gotten around to Dev'ing a mini raider eventually, just thought I might save you a bit of time. You may think its a little rough but I recon that raider is bloody amazing! excellent job for an untested & tiny model. lol,, OK one full size Raider ( with folding wings) on the board.

A promise is a promise, so no more deflecting from me, on with the BIG stuff.
  12. stephen.irl

stephen.irl Member

No problem at all. I might not be fully up to scratch yet on my model making skills but calcs I can do. Just hope thats right now. It did involve having to measure the tini model I made. Also, my printer seems to like printing at its own random set of scales sometimes but I think a ball park of 1:450 is right. It looked like it fitted to me. It was a little to big for my 3foot galactica which is around 1:500.
  13. paulhbell

paulhbell Member

I thought this had died, good to see your still working on the big G.
  14. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

It may not look like much, but there was actually quite a bit of work here.

Which included... redoing the pillars in the 1st landing bay to match those in the new one. That was a pain in the closed environment, let me tell you. And of course, an empty bay just won't do.

Remember when Baltar visited the Galactica with his raider?

You can see some of the detail work I did on the very end of the bay opening. I'm having to balance screen accuracy vs buildability, since I'm basically replicating parts.

Better view of the detail work I've done to the end. Still a little bit more tweaking to do, but mostly finished. Looks nice and clean, I think.

Close up of the detailing on top. Forgive the texture pixellation, this is at point blank range with a 6 megpix camera on super macro mode. It picks out things invis to the naked eye.

Began work on the trenching on the side of the landing bays. This proved an interesting challenge, especially the triangular wedge shaped launch tubes. NO, I'm NOT going to put a viper's nose coming out, so don't ask.

Better picture of the other landing bay, with shuttle and pilot. I removed the second viper and moved it to the other bay. It looked too cluttered.

More as things progress.
  15. theo

theo Member

Wonderful Ekuth,

It's not that I'm trying to get you in a mental institution.sign1
    But a little Eastren Alliance Destroyer with that Cylon raider whould look rader nice. :twisted: :twisted:
  16. Gosemer

Gosemer New Member

that is all,tahsta ll i can say is wow, great job
  17. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Okay, update time... things have been rather busy, so my build time went down the tubes. Still, made some progress.

One step forward, two back, two forward... I'm still figuring out the best way to do things.

Landing bay progress:

Got the rough structural supports shaped out and the lighting placed. Now comes finishing the trenches on both sides.

Worked on the front end of the bay (toward the nose of the Galactica). This was interesting, because looking at the reference pics the triangular area there is inset, just like the trenches on the side. Made for a nice puzzle. The area not closed yet, as I was having light bleed issues. I attempted to fix this with paint, which works, but then I *finally* got clever.

Since I'm making extensive use of foam board for the structure... why the hell am I sticking to white when it comes in black??? So, a trip to Wally World later, I'm now using black foam board for the structure, which will both eliminate my light bleed problems and the need to paint the interior.

Duh... wall1 Why didn't I think of this sooner? Oh well.

Pic: It's still rough, but will neaten up quickly once I start to skin it. Then comes the greebles...

Just to keep things fresh, and because I wanted to test out some of the goodies I found, I started work on the drive/engine section. Now this is one big assed ship, with some big assed engines, which need that impression of big ass plasma power behind them... :rolleyes:

The drive unit without power:

The white area is the foam core board, which has been stripped of its paper coating. This gives us a nice smooth translucent surface.

Why translucent? Well, foam glows really really nicely when it's appropriately backlit, like so:

Think the glow is strong enough? It should be. That's 20 ultra brite blue LED's in each engine. The LED's are embedded in the foam, diffusing the light very evenly and giving an awesome glow, if I do say so myself.

Better head on shot here...

And, just for the detail curious, here's a look at the spagetti of the back. Each light is cryano glued into a foam strip, which is in turn glued to our main foam core for diffusion. The lights are so damn strong I didn't need to back the paper surrounds to focus the glow. So, when they're all done, that'll be 80 ultra bright blue LED's driving the engines, plus the red 'center' impulse area... which we'll see later.

So, whatcha think?
  18. jawdropjawdropwow! Well worth the wait. Keep up the great work.
  19. theo

theo Member

Looks marvellous,

And I think by the time you're finished I got the next one.
    I just begun to draw but it's making some progress.
    Time for it is my biggest problem
    When there enough material ill post something of it!
  20. Gearz

Gearz Member

spectacular ! The foam + led idea is excellent, really nice effect ! When both sides are done, you'll have your own private tanning salon. ~ " Ok... I'm going to turn it on.....Please don't look directly into the light!!"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.