TOS Gigantic Galactica Mega Build

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by ekuth, Jan 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theo

theo Member

Thank the Lords of Kobol!!
    I was wondering just a few days ago, I haven't heard no more of the Mega Big G.
    And there you are.
    Just don't let us wait to long.:35:
  2. Yeah super glad to hear the news!!!!!!!!!!:553:
  3. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Update... not as big as I'd hoped!

Howdy all... I'm baaaaacccckkkk!

As promised, a small update on the Big G Mega Idiotic ImustbefrackingcrazytoattemptthiswhatthehellwasIthinking Build...

Today, we get a look at the guts of one of the launch bay arms and the hangar bay.

Previously, I had simply went with a card insert for the bay that was lit from above... but, not good enough.

That desire led me to improve it, plus I found out the hard way that a foam board core structure is absolutely necessary to support a beast this size, led to a complete rebuild/restructuring of the bays. (Also the mid section, but that's to come later...)

Keep in mind, this is still in the rough in skeletal stage before I skin her and then start the greeble process, but if I didn't photo now....

As you can see, I'm going the christmas tree light route over LED's. Why? Several reasons. Expense is #1, and I also like the softer light that the bulbs bring. It's closer to the original model, I think. Still, this is gonna be a hybrid, as there are some areas (The engines) that demand LED use.

Anyway, pics are worth a thousand jibber jabbers:

The outside guts of it. You can see the foam board suppor structure and the length of the hangar bay. I painted it black for lightbleed and focusing issues, except for the slots in the roof of the bay, which are open and then covered with a double layer of cellophane tape. This gives good diffusion cheaply.

Head on shot... Viper coming in! The outer skin isn't attached yet, so you'll notice light bleed along the opening.

Better view of the bay floor. Yes, I did give thought to doing the guide lights in chasing LED, but the logistics were a nightmare. Big as it is, I'm still dealing with tight clearance issues, especially at the nose area.

Another view.

Tried to get a shot of the side wall detail. This is all scratch work, so don't expect studio accuracy. However, I'm still working on it... :twisted: Sorry it's out of focus.

Alright, that's it for today. Enough to whet your appetite until the next update.

See you soon!
  4. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

So, I had a little more free time on my hands...

So, realizing that the above pics didn't really show *how* I did the hangar deck, and needing to do another anyway (plus a few ideas on how to refine the process) I started on the second of the set.

Again, foam board core for support with custom paper overlay. Color scheme lifted from TV prints... Photos in order of build.

Okay, first shot is the basics:

From left to right: Floor, Ceiling, and side walls.

Now, how do we light the bay, ekuth? Well... you see those rectangular areas on the ceiling? You guessed it. Sharp exacto blade and precise cutting is required here. Why so precise? See those little leftovers? They're gonna become our columns for the side walls. So cut carefully and punch out from the front to back...

And here the little puppies are. Now as they are when removed, they only have paper texture on one side. That's why we print two of the templates for floor and ceiling. I'm using the ceiling texture to get the matching alternating stripe on every other column. Joy of this is? Since it will only be viewed from one direction, you only have to have two sides textured. Sneaky, eh? A vast improvement in neatness over the paint technique I used above. That will be corrected later... wall1

Sidewall attached to the bay floor. You can see how I designed the texuring to help align things. Foam board is best glued with plain old Elmers. I use straight pins to hold the pieces until dry. Love the foam board!

Rinse, and repeat. The other side wall attached to the floor, and ready for the top to go on. But we don't wanna do that just yet...

Why? :rolleyes: You'll just have to wait and see... :twisted:

Alright, that's it for me for tonight. More in a day or so.
  5. theo

theo Member

ekuth, you made me speechless.:eek:

What are you planning, not placing the top on?
    Little vipers ore shuttles?:twisted:
  6. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Get out your magnifying glass...

Does this answer your question?

Yes, that's a standard #2 Exacto blade, seam ripper... and that metal column? That's a straight pin. :p

The little bugger is exactly 3/4" long. Really stretched the boundaries of my patience, dexterity and eyesight.

*shakes fist* Damn you Gearz!

7. Juckiz

Juckiz New Member

Holy crap that's cool :mrgreen:
  8. theo

theo Member

Just drooling, that just what I'm doing right now :eek:
    That is a little one.:thumb:
  9. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

One little, two little...

Two little vipers... for the moment. I may do a few more.

Pic, with ruler:

More later.

Anybody wanna design a pilot figure at this scale? :mrgreen:

Actually, now I need a shuttle or two... anyone done a TOS Shuttle? :confused:
  10. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Two is enough... for this bay, anyway.

Meh. I decided to stop at two for this bay. Didn't want to crowd it. Still may hunt up a shuttle or two for the other side... although I may have to make one. :mrgreen:

Want to get on with the main portion of the build, and I could piddle forever with these bays.

First, the roof of the bay, with cellophane tape in place on both sides. Notice the use of the ribs to give us the crossbeams to match our colums. Why only two when there's four columns? Perspective.

Since this will be viewed from one direction only, only two full beams are necessary to give the proper visual illusion. Your mind automatically fills in the rest, and it looks less cluttered this way.

Our two little vipers glued into position... I fiddled for about 1/2 hour before I got a pose I liked.

Head on from above.

Head on from end:

Roof goes on next.
  11. theo

theo Member

Looking good ekuth!

Itzy bitzy, tiny-winy tiny little viper,
    landing in the bay.
    It's a cleaver little flyingcraft,
    it's all that fast and it's so damn small.

By the way the Colonial Shuttle you find here you only have to scale it down a little bit:mrgreen:.
  12. Gearz

Gearz Member

I'll just whack my glasses on and stick my nose on the monitor..... Ohhh yeah.. there they are...

VERY nicely built ekuth, their way kewl.. Hmm a pilot.. lets see 1 pixel for his helmut, 2 pixels for the body...... hang on sec,,,, I'll be back..

yep here you go, one teeny tiny viper pilot.(very rough). he's scaled ( roughly) and added to the original tiny Viper parts..

* Surely this must elevate me to a double damn

Brilliant work ekuth, inspiring !!! :thumb:

Attached Files:

13. atlas83

atlas83 New Member

jawdropWe have already seen plastic models less indeed finished that this model.

It would be necessary to stop placing the level so high otherwise we are going to have to change hobby ! sign1

14. AWESOME MODEL, of the ole girl. Can't wait to see more.

15. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Thanks, all. Glad you're enjoying the build. :mrgreen:

Theo, Gearz...

I'm not sure which of you to hate more at the moment... :rolleyes:

*shakes fist* Damn you Theo! Double Damn you, Gearz! :whip1::whip1:

Now look what you made me do:

Yes, that's the shuttle. I had to shrink the thing down to 4% of the model's original size, AND put the various pieces together to make a whole.

Retexturing took the place of some parts. Still, I'm impressed. Eventually, that shuttle's gonna have to get built full scale...

Maybe larger? Hmmmmm....

Anyway, keeping it in scale with the vipers meant it ends up a hair over an inch long.

Other side of the shuttle...

And the backside. The engines were rolled using a pin, and were a study in patience.

And now, direct from Ice Planet Zero:

Hey, I'm surprised I could even cut him out. I think a few fuzzies are to be expected at this scale. My eye can't even see them... but then this shot is taken in super macro mode with the lense about 1/4" away from the pilot.

Now to put them in the bay...
  16. jacberk

jacberk Old Fart - New Member

This just keeps getting better. Unreal!
  17. Bhelliom

Bhelliom Member

Yeeoww!! Shades of what I originally had in mind in the "Humongous Tiny Thread." A reduced bridge, and enlarged Enterprise was a bit much then, but the giant "Big G" and micro Vipers and shuttles hit the spot now. Don't forget to have a magnifying glass near the landing bays when the model is finished and on display :mrgreen:.

18. Retired_for_now

Retired_for_now New Guy

Are we feelin' small yet?

This is bloody insanity - somebody needs to get some help! I recommend a serious program of inflation or government issued microscopes for all - I don't think I even have tweezers small enough to handle what you've done.

19. theo

theo Member

Ekuth, you done it again!!

Two thumbs up lad :thumb::thumb:.
    Whats next the Colonial Sanaterium?sign1
  20. Gearz

Gearz Member

HAH! yes indeed!! :eek: 'O'mazing!!! That little bugger just looked like a smudge on the page to me, let alone trying to cut it out,,, superb!! yep, I'll gladly take that lashing... the mini's look excellent! their really going to make the bay look 'alive'.

* Think your going to need some crowd control when she gets displayed publicly mate. Count your mini's and make the little darlings turn out their pockets before they leave.. :yep:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.