TOS Gigantic Galactica Mega Build

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by ekuth, Jan 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gearz

Gearz Member

x 3 !!!

Geeez.. you can never find a whip when you need one.. :twisted:
  2. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Now, now... put the whip away.

Sorry for the delay, guys. Been trying to find a job to support my cardmodel habit...

Hey, buddy... can you spare a ream of heavyweight cardstock? Just to get me through...

Actually, it's the ink issue that's been holding up production here. I ran out mid-build, and I've been trying to get a matching shade out of my refills/new cartridges. Too red, too dark, not blue enough... you'd figure grey would be grey, right? Nope. wall1

Anyway, finally got a reasonable match and decided to print the whole damn thing while I had it. All 69 pages worth... which actually amounted to 138 pages of printing, because to match the shade I had to print everything on the "Quick Print" setting, and then repeat the process, double printing each sheet. :p

Why not print everything once on "Normal Print"? Because that made it two shades too dark... :curse:

So, let this be a lesson unto you:

When printing a large project like this, print EVERYTHING you're going to need off of the same cartridge at the same time. :mrgreen:

So, I should have some build pics for you in a few days.

Now, where'd I put my exacto?
  3. Soaring

Soaring Middle School Student

I kept my eye on the detail, it was epic! So what, if this was a commercial use model it wouldv'e been.....Maybe 100$? :p

And, your exacto, I ate it along with the bagels I stole from your house...
  4. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

No bagels here, I'm afraid. English Muffins, that's another matter.

If this were a commercial model? :eek: Heck, I've already spent $100 on the supplies alone.

I have to admit, I'm tempted to Ebay this puppy when I'm done and see how much it fetches... :mrgreen:
  5. Soaring

No bagels? That's madness! Fine, your exacto is in my stomach along with oyour English Muffins. Bwha-ha-ah-ha...Yeah....

Yup, I said Commercial! $100 only on supplies?!?!? That's madness! How much pages ahve you already printed? My printer can get up to 20 pages of full colored cardstock before it has to replaced, so I guessed this monster is about...80-100 pages.

Well, put it on Ebay, and you'll get 10 times what you start for, no problem. However....When you think of all that time wasted by a click of a button....o_O

Can't wait for more Build pictures man!
  6. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

I know how you feel on the ink / printer issues. Looking forward to your updates.
  7. Gearz

Gearz Member

LOL Now I'll be stuck with the mental picture of a bunch of homeless card modellers begging for ink and paper .. ( clutching their collection of crumpled sorry looking models under each arm! ) + ( And big tear filled cow eyes)

Looking forward to the pics pics pics :thumb:

Oh and btb.. just to keep you on your toes ekuth ~ I found one.. :whip1: lol
  8. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Progress, at last...

LOL. That's exactly the mental image I had when I wrote that bit, Gearz.

Okay, some updates just to prove to you guys that I'm trudging onwards...

Of course, we have to finish the left side of the nose section before we can move on to more interesting territory, don't we? wall1

I really want to work on another section, but I'm forcing myself to finish what I started on top first.

So, progress today:

Roughly 90% of the left side done and greebled. Simply have to finish up the greeble/panel work on the "inset" area. That should go pretty quick and then we can move on. :thumb:

Side view of the entire left hand side (as you look at it from the nose it's the left hand side- don't get nautical with me. In that case it would be port, I believe).

You can see the blast damage in the inset area from the last Cylon attack.

Close up of the front of the nose. One area finally finished! YAY!

Close up of the rear of the nose showing piping, greeblework and blast damage. I'm not making the two sides exactly identical- my thought is that they probably wouldn't be anyway. After all, the Galactica would have to make repairs using whatever was on hand, right? :mrgreen:

Close up shot of the entire front of the nose area. Good to see this spot finally complete.

Lastly, another inspection shot of the blast damage... after the maintenance crew has laser-torch cut the edges clean. Close up of the greeble/pipework. You can see the repair crews have lots to do here.

Stay tuned, we'll be onto the bottom of the nose next!
  9. Soaring

jawdropGasp! You can't call this paper anymore! It's revolutionary! It's....Well, to me it looks like plastic at this point. train97
  10. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

It does, doesn't it. Better watch out, don't want to upset them GKers... LOLsign1 Seriously though ekuth, it's lookin mighty fine.
  11. Soaring

Gkers? Sorry I'm not used to model lingo :D

But yeah, as CJT said, this is coming mighty fine, and you know what some people say...

" A mighty fine ship makes a man happy" Or Battlewagon model...
  12. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Garage Kit

Referring to a niche market of the sci-fi modeling community whereby people crank out crappy (mostly) quality resin kits that are extremely (always) overpriced.

One of the main reasons I took to card modeling in the first place.

I've said it before, I'll say it again:

Theres not a damn thing you can do in plastic that you can't do with card. :thumb:
  13. Soaring

Well, if I knew where to get some Gundam Plastic models here in stores in Cali, thenI wouldv'e plastic modeled :p
  14. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Amen! Can I have a witness?:mrgreen:
  15. Soaring

I wisht that were true :/ Well, basically it is, except for the fact that with card, you're limited to...You know what, you're right, you can do everything you can do with plastic on card! Time to take apart my Broken RX-78-2 Plastic Figure and use him as reference.... :p

As for your model, the detail on this thing has reached a high level. That if one who has never heard of paper modeling, wouldv'e first think that that's plastic. Then they'd ask how much they can have it for xD
  16. Gearz

Gearz Member

Its amazing how much the added surface detail/panels etc really lifts the model ~ I love that nose! Excellent work ekuth!
  17. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Thanks, guys!

The support keeps me going.

Thanks alot, Gearz. I'm glad you like what I've been doing to your baby...
    BTW, on that note, I don't know if you missed this:

But I did a little work on your "Itty Bitty Viper" model just for kicks. Enlarged it a bit, and did a little clean up/repaint work and a few changes to the design of the canopy. The landing gear was scratchbuilt on the fly.

Now I just need to shrink it back down to fit in the landing bays of the Big G here... :mrgreen:
  18. Soaring

Not meaning to be a butt, but how's everything going? :D
  19. Soaring

Pssst, You, yeah you with the hair! How's it going? :O

I gotta see more details..sssssz. Oh yeah, I've been meaning to say this, is it alright to post this on some a few Lego Forums to see how detailed Starships Get >_>

And on the mattter of money, how much would this cost, perhaps say, 2 Dollars! 2.10 Dollars! :D Nah, if I really had to buy this, I wouldn't be able to go to college.
  20. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Raised from the DEAD!

*performs acrane, forbidden incantations*

I bid you, rise! Rise, necro thread! RIIIIISSSSSEEE!

And it will, too. After a looooooong haitus, I have returned to the Big G Mega Build. Stay tuned for an update within the next several days!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.