TOS Gigantic Galactica Mega Build

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by ekuth, Jan 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smyfe

smyfe Member

Superb work on the big G, wish I had the patience to do such a work of art:thumb::thumb:
    The Galactica is still available from
    as well as many other fantastic models:mrgreen::mrgreen:
  2. Gearz

Gearz Member

Mind..? of course not, this is what its all about and pleasure to see mate. most excellent work :thumb: far as I'm aware the original model is still available at Jonathan's site, .. sorry haven't got the url handy, my cyber + real world is in total melt down at the moment..
  3. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

My wow!

Ekuth, you inspire me. Thank you!

As I'm finishing up development of the new series Galactica for the ship pack thread I find myself drawn to doing a similarly detailed model of her. Like CJTK1701, I grew up with the original series, but enjoy the new one even more. Both, however, have fantastic ships, and watching you're build develop shows me what I could do if I would just get off my but and get at it.

Hey Gearz, nice to see you're still around buddy. We don't seem to cross threads much lately. When (if?) I get to building my detailed Galactica I'll just may come around looking for the 3D model you used so I can develop the additional details in detail, so to speak.

4. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Would LOVE to see you do a super large detail build of the new Galactica!

And Gearz... check your email. Gotta question for you.

Hopefully I'll get some build time in tomorrow guys- was too busy today.
  5. Hot4Darmat

Hot4Darmat Member

This is a pleasure to watch. Excellent stuff E
  6. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Can I throw in a vote for a large detailed Galactica? I was just digging up info for that very thing last night. I've got a bunch of reference material if you want it.:mrgreen:
  7. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Progress for Today

Got a bit more done of the insert greebling...

Spent some time rebuilding the center section/neck of the ship in preparation for joining. Foam core board works wonders as structural support... :mrgreen:

Rear to front view. Still have layering work to do on all surfaces, but the major pipework/cylinders are complete.

Front to rear view.

Front to rear view. Lights on.

Centered close up of the insert, lights on. You can see it needs more layering, especially on the bottom to flesh it out completely.

I'm starting to ask myself...

Am I crazy? hamr

8. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

No, you're not crazy, but maybe I am..... When I looked at those pictures I started hearing the OS Galactica theme. :confused:
  9. theo

theo Member

That is really going to be a great thing you're making.
    I'm building the Colonial Defender and doing also some extra layers,
    but noting comparing to this.

Good work ekuth!!:thumb:

I would call it crazy.
    There is this guy "Rabe" from Germany who is building the Millennium Falcon from scratch.
    He started in 2005 with posting.
    He has over 5000 pices used, and is still building.
  10. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Are you crazy ... hell no!

Anyone could just take the Galactica model and make it bigger. But...whats the point! Putting in this level of detail pushes the boundary of papermodelling, and makes it worthwhile making a big model. Not everyone wants to make grand projects and huge models... but as long as SOMEBODY is trying to do these things, it gives inspiration to new people to have a go.
  11. ThunderChild

ThunderChild Active Member

Don't stop this model Ekuth!
    If you do I'll be forced to kick my neighbor's cat in retaliation!
    :) (hope you like cats)
  12. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Well said!:thumb:
  13. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Right side of hull is DONE!

Woot for me!

Lots done today. I actually finished up not only the greebles on the interior of the alcove, but got the right side done as well, and the side strip that connects to the bottom.

The side strip itself had been giving me cause for thought- on the studio model that area is indented (like a valley) and Gearz original model is flat on that area (for obvious reasons, like buildability... :mrgreen:). Still, not being content with that, I'd been thinking on how to build that area so that it gives the proper effect.

But enough chat, on to the pics:

Front to back view of the insert area. Greebles, greebles, everywhere! I had to redo the lighted box area, and in all but the last shot the light inside has shifted, so the windows aren't as bright as they are now (after I noticed the bulb had moved... :rolleyes:)

Back to front view. I'm pleased with how 3d this came out. I had to balance between adding too few greebles, and too many.

Finished the few greebles that needed doing on the side hull plating as well. This area sits just ahead (toward the nose) of the inserts. Simple, but effective.

Front to back view of the entire side of the nose. Not a great shot, admittedly, but it does illustrate what I did to create the indented area on the side. If you can't build down, build it up! I left the original plating in the middle area, because it's darker color deepened the look of the "trench". I had to do a tight overlay job where the bottom of the hull plating on the side meets the top of the "trench" area. Came out well, I think.

Back to front view. You can see what I mean here. What I did was to glue a new hull plating for the "side trench" to some scrap foam core board and then slice the foam core in half lengthwise. This allowed me to get a good depth buildup without multiple cardstock layers, and was more flexible for adhering to the curved surface that laminated cardstock would have been.

Close up shot of the "insert" area with lighting in proper position. As you can tell, much brighter now.

Well, that's 2/3 of the top done. Now to duplicate all this on the left side... wall1

And thank you all for the kind comments. It keeps me going on this project!
  14. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

I don't know what to say. That thing is really popping man. Keep it up! I've got an idea on the trench, but you're not going to like it.
  15. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Lay it on me- I'm not done with that spot just yet. :rolleyes:
  16. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

I hate to say it, but I think your only way is going to be cut it apart there, into three sections, recess it and reassemble.wall1 Sorry, but I can't see any way around it.
  17. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Um... no. You're right, I don't like it. :mrgreen:

I found a solution I'm actually happy with. Maybe on the next iteration... :twisted:
  18. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

OK, well...... You could build out a small lip, for now, above and below the trench...???:confused:
  19. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Which is exactly what I've done- You'll see it more clearly in tonight's update photos. It's actually there in the shots above, but I guess I blended the edges a little too well for it to show up.

I've put greebles into the trench area itself that makes it stand out more. :cool:

The trouble with your idea is that I would have to radically alter the entire model to correct the problem- building out from the surface is the only way to remedy it. Good thought, though! :thumb:
  20. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Cool beans. looking forward to your pics!:cool:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.