TOS Gigantic Galactica Mega Build

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by ekuth, Jan 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zathros

Zathros Guest

I love a person of few words. "Me Tarzan, You Jane" ranks among the tops!:p

Ekuth, you are surrounded (me included) by people who wish well but have trouble running two pennies together! We all are pulling for you though!
  2. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Meh, we'll see what pans out once I'm done. So much for my two week estimate... *cringe*
  3. F131

F131 Member

I am blown away by the awesomeness of this build. Incredible.
  4. Revell-Fan

Revell-Fan Co-Administrator Administrator

That is great! Did you consider preparing an add-on pack with all these greeblies so that other builders may follow your example?
  5. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Well... the trouble is that I'm not really making "add ons" per se... so (almost) everything I've done is contained in the original model.

The technique I'm primarily using is just layering with double/triple prints of the same area... you'd be surprised how much of the depth effect on the individual pieces is optical illusion; in this case the textures of the model really works with rather than against me here.

Maybe I should do a step by step to show folks?
  6. eugentoth

eugentoth New Member

wow is all i can say about this one
  7. MTK

MTK Active Member

Well, all sillyness aside, this is looking reavy, very good. There seems to be no end of what you can do with a card model. I'm really impressed with this and I mean that.
  8. MTK

MTK Active Member

That is a very cool idea.:thumb:
  9. skoda

skoda Genius Designer Master Builder

I would also build this model and I do not know how it can increase someone advise me how to do a download size is small size thanks for the reply
  10. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

If I understand you correctly, you're asking how I "blew up" the original model by Gearz (available on the LHV website) then the answer is covered elsewhere in this thread and another, I believe.

Long answer short is that I opened each page of the original model in Paint and using a very laborious process increased the size of EACH PART by 200%.

I had roughly calculated that this would be about the maxiumum enlargement level before the textures pixelated too badly to look good. This would also put the build at just a hair under Studio Model size. Not exact, but pretty damn close.

The rest has been a 3 (or is it 4 now?) year odyssey in revised building techniques, blood, sweat and tears. The thought hit me the other day that I'm actually going to finish the damn thing!

Speaking of, update time...
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2014
  11. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Update: 08-05-2011

I've decided to start labeling these updates with the date to track my build progress. Don't know why I didn't think of that before... ah well.

Lots and lots of work done recently.

Finished the greebling on the back side of the Nose area where it connects with the "Neck". Other than minor work on the bottom trench area, that almost completes the Nose.

Lots of greeble work on the landing bay arms and the front of the port bay itself. Still not done there just yet, but will be by next update. You'll see below. Once the arms and the sides of the "Midsection" are complete, it will actually be time to flip the Battlestar over and start greebling the bottom side.

This should actually be much easier and quicker than the top, as I've finally refined my greeble process and the greebles there are larger and not as numerous anyway.

After that, fine tuning of the greebles all over (touch up work, touch up paint) and then something I had a brainstorm about tonight to sharpen up the textures even more.

Alright, enough squawk.

First up, a lights off shot of the area where the Neck meets the Nose. You can see the greebling on the back of the Nose and how it wraps into the Neck greebling. I'm very pleased with the depth this is adding to the model.

Same shot, lights on. (All photos taken under bright room lighting with model lighting on. Yes, it's that bright.)

Did a lot of "add-on" greeble work to the top of the Neck as well. You'd be surprised at where some of the cool greeble bits come from. I basically look around the house at everything as a possible greeble now- but only to enhance the paper greebling.

Finally got around to filling in the greebling on the port indentation on the Nose! I was close examining the other day and realized I had never filled it in.

Shot also shows the neck greebling (love the depth, I'm proud of how these areas came out) and the beginning of the greebling on the "front face" of the arms.

The greebling on the "top face" of the arms on the port side here is done- although really it's mainly piping and hull plating.

You can see the front/nose area of the port landing bay is in the process of being plated and greebled; the paint on the seams was for light bleed issues and will disappear very shortly. Compare against previous pics of the starboard bay front and you'll see where I'm going.

A better look at the plating/piping on the "top face" of the arms. As you can see here, there's still piping and greeble work to finish up on the landing bay as well.

12. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Update: 08-05-2011 (Part 2)

Bow shot, looking rear. Just for the hell of it. Actually, the keener eyed among you might recognize a few new greebles on the top of the nose.

Same shot, but a "flyover"... You can definately see she's coming to life now and starting to look like a Battlestar. As much as I hate them, the greebles are what does it. *shakes fist at the original studio builders*

Close view of the greeble/piping work on the top of the Neck. I love how the battery access just vanishes and actually blends the connection point. By the way, several of those greebles shown here are edible (well, without the paint, anyway...) as well. Care to guess where/what?

Had to flip her over to show the greebling on the back underside of the Nose. Bottom of the neck and more work on the trench are next on the list.

Underside of the front of the Nose; this area, especially the interior center of the trench will be added to. Like my little power generators there?

That's all for this update, stay tuned. Thoughts, comments, adulation are always welcome. Adulation especially. :twisted:
  13. Rhaven Blaack

Rhaven Blaack ADMINISTRATOR Administrator

Words can not truly describe this model. your work is well beyond AMAZING!!!:goldcup::goldcup::goldcup:
    You should get a job making these kind of models for movies and TV series.
    This model is studio quality (as well as museum quality).
    You truly are one of the GREAT MASTERS.:inw::inw::inw:
  14. Revell-Fan

Revell-Fan Co-Administrator Administrator

hamrhamrhamrOMG!!! That is great!!!hamrhamrhamr
  15. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

If you only knew....

Ekuth, I didn't know about it back then, but for information purposes, somewhere between then and now I discovered an add-in for GIMP called HQUpscale, that will scale up an image with almost no loss in quality and minimal pixelation. I don't know how it does what it does, but the results are fantastic and have saved me many hours of work.

Just thought I'd share that in case you decide to make a monster version of some other ship :mrgreen:

16. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Do I kiss you or kill you? And in which order? Hmmmm...

Actually, the TOS Basestar is going to get the Mega treatment after the Galactica. You heard it here first. :rolleyes:
  17. inky

inky Member

This is AWSOME. Great work.
  18. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

So do I need to ask if the new Basestar will be in scale with your Galactica? :wink:

Phenominal work, mein freund! I look forward to you taking it out on one of those starry nights and getting some pics of it "in space". :mrgreen:
  19. MTK

MTK Active Member

Anything new on this, did you get it sold?

20. MTK

MTK Active Member

I could use something like that, I'll have to check it out. I know this was meant for ekuth, but thanks from me anyway.:thumb:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.