TOS Gigantic Galactica Mega Build

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by ekuth, Jan 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Well, after seeing all the fantastic Galactica work going on here, I decided to bring the Giganta Galactica out of mothballs and get back to work on her.

I'll be posting pics as I go along.

Most of what I had already done had suffered the ravages of cramped closet space, cats and kids. Fortunately, the more critical parts (the landing bays and engines) were able to be salvaged.

I've been tearing apart what I had built of the old girl, removing the LED wiring and rebuilding what was lost. I've also decided that since I'm going to be doing this, I'm going to go the super-detail route and see how far I can stretch the bounds of papercraft. To start, I'll be using what I have so far as an underlying base and then layering on top of that to produce the greebles.

Today's work consisted of salvaging the nose section.

Side view. The top of the hull is unattached at this point, as I am still working on the lighting. Will be glued in place once that is done and then the layering of hull plating will begin.

Close up of one of the "insert" areas of the nose. I'm pleased with the strength of the lighting. Placement is everything!

You can see the nose took a real beating along the seam lines there. We'll be fixing that up later. Damn cats!

Underside of the nose is in fairly good shape. Trench needs a little work, and the hull plating will definately help cover those bleedthrough areas.

Next up:

Finishing the lighting placement, affixing the bridge and upper observation deck, and starting the hull plating.

Stay tuned!
  2. Huraay for the GIANTICA modelsballoon6balloon6. I will be following this very closely. Looks great so far.

3. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Domo Ari Gato Mr. Giganto....Domo!:thumb:
  4. Hot4Darmat

Hot4Darmat Member

I'm really glad to hear you're sinking your teeth back into this one. I'll be watching with great interest.

If yer gonna go...go BIG!
  5. Master-Bruce

Master-Bruce Active Member

Woh! It looks great without the uber detailing you intend to do. Super job, I'll be following this with great interest. :)
  6. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Super! Glad to see you back on this one :D
  7. ThunderChild

ThunderChild Active Member

Cant wait to see this one finished! Would love to have one but the question is: where will you put it?!
  8. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

And the insanity begins...

Progress so far for today:

Finished lighting interior, closed up the top and back of nose. Main part of the hull plating installed on upper face of nose. Bridge installed and have begun the installation of greebling.

Basically, I'm doing all the raised structures on the top part using the following method: I'll print out a base plate to build on. I then take a narrow "I-beam" strip and glue it around the periphery of the base plate part I'm working on. Once that's done, I cut out the roof of the section from another printing of the deck and secure it to the top of the beam.

I'll be using this technique extensively throughout the ship, as it seems to be working well.

Top view of the current section I'm working on. You can see a completed building section in front of the area where I'm installing the I-beam wall. You can see how I follow the contour of the part.

This side view illustrates the process more clearly.

Close up of the I-beam. What I do to create this is to remove a long strip from the back of another print out of the nose area. That way I get matching coloration as well as texture. A bit of a pain to bend, but not too bad.

Top view of the hull plating I've installed on the top of the nose section. I'm dealing with the top first and will then move on to the sides before finishing up with the bottom of the nose and trench area. You can see the completed bridge has been installed. I'm pleased with the 3d effect that layering the hull plating is giving to the overall look of the ship.

Further on up the nose section. I was originally planning to light this area as well, but after looking at reference shots, decided against it. This is before application of the building areas behind the piece. I'll be cutting those out and applying them shortly.

So, there we have it. Break time! I'll post more as I go. Have to keep reminding myself to take pics.
  9. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Brilliant! w00t!
  10. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

More progress

Here's the completed assembly. The cylinders on top were made by taking another printout of that area and forming them into half-tubes.

I had to make them in three pieces, each of a graduated size slightly smaller than the last. That way they matched the overall look of the texture.

Still debating on how I'm going to do the very small pipework...

Completed assembly, front view:

Rear view:

Front view, showing closeup of the connecting pipework, which are simply rolled cylinders (albeit very small rolled cylinders...) glued in place.

Finally, attached to the upper deck of the nose piece. You can see how each piece adds to the look of the deck. The old girl's starting to look good, I think! :mrgreen:

11. WOW That looks Great!!!! I can't wait to get me one.:thumb:

12. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

^^^ What he said! You're really cooking on this.:thumb:

For the small piping... what about small half cylinders?
  13. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Trouble is, we'd be talking about cylinders with a diameter smaller than 1/2 the diameter of a toothpick. Basically, 1mm in diameter is about the right size for what I'm talking about.

I definately can't roll them that small. :cry:

I'm toying with a few ideas, though.
  14. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Hairpins, or wires?:confused:
  15. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Wires, actually. It's amazing the uses old ribbon cable can be put to... :mrgreen:
  16. Elliott

Elliott Senior Member

Good to see you return to this ekuth. Your skills have only improved with time. Thank you for bringing this one back. More! More!!

17. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Sounds good, looking forward to seeing it come together. I like the way you think.:thumb:
  18. Hot4Darmat

Hot4Darmat Member

This is looking fantastic. Keep up the great work.
  19. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Progress for Today

Not alot done today, was time to take Christmas down and pack it away.

Hopefully, I'll be able to accomplish more tomorrow. Still, I got some more greeble work done.

First, we have a shot of a greeble that's been staring at me for a few days making me wonder... How the heck am I gonna do that? Well, I managed, as you can see. The rounded part on the front gave me some pause, but I'm pleased with the solution I came up with. Solution: Take one 10mm bead, cut in half, cover with paper texture using standard weight paper. The glue gave some stretchability to the paper and I was able to form it to the shape of the bead, giving me the round part I was looking for. I still have to finish the "track" leading to the whole greeble.

Next up, shot of the bridge, lighted. Area is still a work in progress, but it's coming along. Will be more greebles on top of this area shortly. You can see I have some light bleed issues along the sides of the piece that will be dealt with when I move down to the sides.

Shot of the bridge from above, showing some of that nasty pipework I was pondering. Decided to go with the peel-a-part ribbon cable (old IDE drive cable revived!) for these and they look great, I think. I know, mixed media, but I just couldn't do it any other way.

Top shot of the back of the nose, showing the two "round nose barrel" greebles referenced in picture one above. You can see more of the fine pipework between the cylinders in back and off to the right rear corner.

Close up shot of the fine pipework in the right rear corner of the nose. The part just to the bottom still needs layering, but you can see it really does the trick!

Well, that's all for tonight. Minor changes, minor parts, but they add up. Hope you can see the progress from previous posts.

Thanks for the praise, and stay tuned for more details!

(couldn't resist)
  20. Master-Bruce

Master-Bruce Active Member

Really is moving along nicely.True there is mixed media, but for this level of detail you're going for there isn't alot you can do about that. Besides, it looks great!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.