Tortoise & Power

Discussion in 'FAQs' started by nolatron, Feb 10, 2005.

1. nolatron

nolatron Member

Howdy all,

Quick question to clarify something for me.

I'm planning on using tortoise switch boxes for my upcoming layout, about 20 of them.

I have a 12V power adaptor I got from Radio Shack to use with my old Atlas remote turnouts. Can I use that same 12V supply to power all the tortoise boxes? or do they require something specific for power?

I plan on using this wiring diagram to build control panels as well if it matters:

2. Roger Hensley

Roger Hensley Member

I use a 9v 500ma AC Adapter – Radio Shack 273-1651D to supply power for my home made Torty and LED power supplies. I drive my LEDs at just short of 4v DC and the Torties at about 7v. This produces a great slow motion and I have never had any problems with either the LEDs or the Torties. I have currently 8 Torties in operation with 4 more to go. The advantage of the power supply other than control over the voltage? The source is isolated from the usage.

12 volt should not be a problem, but your Torties will move along quickly. :)
  3. CalFlash

CalFlash Member

Use of a "wall wart" sounds like a good idea esp as I have plenty of them around. I powered the ones on my lower hidden level with DCC stationary decoders so I could call up routes with macros but plan on conventional power for the upper visible level.