Tortoise and Atlas Customline

toopoor

May 20, 2003
Riverside
members.bellatlantic.net
Hey all,

Im trying to connect a Tortoise switch machine to my atlas customline 3 turnout.

My questions are.

Do I just slide the spring up thru the tiny hole in the middle of the throwbar on the turnout?

I have the entire spring in that hole now. When I flip the switch I can see the spring move up and down but it doesn't throw the switch.

Do I have to cut the spring down before it will work? I want to make sure it works before I cut the spring.

Could my bending of the spring according to the instructions be bad, I lined it up with the figure they give and it matched exactly.

I am using the hole on the right of the fulcrum not the center one. The hole lines up perfectly with the tiny hole in the center of the throwbar. Is there any special consideration when using this hole? The instructions say the bending is different and refer me to document AN-6000-1 which I searched for but cannot find anywhere. Does anyone know where I can get this??? Or can someone tell me how to bend the spring when using the side holes.

Anyone know how to get in touch with Circuitron????

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
TP

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Originally posted by toopoor
Hey all,

Im trying to connect a Tortoise switch machine to my atlas customline 3 turnout.

My questions are.

Do I just slide the spring up thru the tiny hole in the middle of the throwbar on the turnout?

I have the entire spring in that hole now. When I flip the switch I can see the spring move up and down but it doesn't throw the switch.

Do I have to cut the spring down before it will work? I want to make sure it works before I cut the spring.

Could my bending of the spring according to the instructions be bad, I lined it up with the figure they give and it matched exactly.

I am using the hole on the right of the fulcrum not the center one. The hole lines up perfectly with the tiny hole in the center of the throwbar. Is there any special consideration when using this hole? The instructions say the bending is different and refer me to document AN-6000-1 which I searched for but cannot find anywhere. Does anyone know where I can get this??? Or can someone tell me how to bend the spring when using the side holes.

Anyone know how to get in touch with Circuitron????

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
TP

Does the spring slide up and down, or side to side? It needs to move side to side to throw the switch.

toopoor

May 20, 2003
Riverside
members.bellatlantic.net
I remounted it

using a small piece of 1/4" plywood in order to center the hole. The docs they sent me really didn't provide instructions on how to bend the spring when using the other two holes. It said something about fabricating a throwbar for the tortiose. Well the easier options was to just mount it centered using a piece of wood to extend the subroad.

Thanks,

TP

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
By the way, Rix makes a nice mounting bracket with adjustable linkage to mount the tortoise under the table to operate the turnout. The only disadvantage to the Rix bracket is that it mounts vertically under the subroadbed, so it takes up about 4-6 inches of vertical space.