Toronto Go Trains.

tetters

Rail Spiking Fool!
Hey there. I work right across the street from the yard where Go Transit parks their trains during lull between commuter rush hours. I figured I'd take a few pictures and post up. On the first day I even snapped up a west bound VIA Rail engine pushing a consist of passenger cars which I thought was kinda neat. Hope you all enjoy.

12_29_3.JPEG

12_29_1.JPEG

12_29_2.JPEG

12_29_0.JPEG

Yard ladder looking Eastbound under Spadina Avenue toward Union Station

01_02_4.JPEG

Yard looking Westbound towards Bathurst Avenue.

01_02_3.JPEG

Now where did I park my train??? Looking east bound again. You can see the Rogers Center (formly Skydome) and the base of the CN Tower.

01_02_2.JPEG

The other "business end" of things.

01_02_1.JPEG

tetters

Rail Spiking Fool!
No problem gents. Warning though. The photo bug bit me, so I ended up taking a few more at lunch.

Couple of track detail shoots taken on the East side of the Spadina Ave bridge looking towards Union.

01_02_5.JPEG

01_02_6.JPEG

# 540 sitting on the tracks.

01_02_7.JPEG

I was going to take a pic of all of the passenger cars but was treated to this guy coming in instead.

01_02_8.JPEG

# 553 motoring into the city pulling 8 Bombardier two level commuter cars.

01_02_9.JPEG

Looking down on # 530 & # # 540

01_02_11.JPEG

01_02_10.JPEG

That's all for now. :D

jbaakko

Huh, Toronto sure looks different with out 3 feet of snow... I say this because last time I was there, I caught that nice blizzard of '03. Nice pics, thanks for sharing.

Great pix. Reminds me of my visit to much of the same area last November when I was in town. I took some pix, too, but nothing as good as yours. Let's have more.

Pooh Bah
Modelling observation: The only bit on the loco body that is painted black is on the hood in front of the cab windows. The rest of that is weathering. Number boards. The chassis is also black.
Note the ditch lights under the board at the front that says GO. Also note the sidways T in the GO, the original name of the system was Government of Ontario Transit.
In the early 1960s, CNR built a line so that freight trains could bypass Toronto, leaving an under-used 2 to 4 track mainline running along Lake Ontario into the heart of Toronto. The provincial government looked at this and figured that they could run trains cheaper than building another 6 lanes of highway through a built-up area.

spitfire

Thanks for the great pics! I thought this thread was going to be about the loss of engineering jobs at GO in a cost cutting measure. :(

If you have a chance, I would love to see more of the Bathurst St, bridge.

Val

RobertInOntario

Those are great pics, both in terms of having them as reference for modelling trains as well as track and surrounding detail -- not to mention that they're just great train shots! Thanks, Rob

tetters

Rail Spiking Fool!
60103 said:
Modelling observation: The only bit on the loco body that is painted black is on the hood in front of the cab windows. The rest of that is weathering. Number boards. The chassis is also black.
Note the ditch lights under the board at the front that says GO. Also note the sidways T in the GO, the original name of the system was Government of Ontario Transit.
In the early 1960s, CNR built a line so that freight trains could bypass Toronto, leaving an under-used 2 to 4 track mainline running along Lake Ontario into the heart of Toronto. The provincial government looked at this and figured that they could run trains cheaper than building another 6 lanes of highway through a built-up area.

Thanks for the brief history. I'm glad they decided to run trains instead.:D

tetters

Rail Spiking Fool!
spitfire said:
Thanks for the great pics! I thought this thread was going to be about the loss of engineering jobs at GO in a cost cutting measure. :(

If you have a chance, I would love to see more of the Bathurst St, bridge.

Val

I think I can swing that for you. I'll post up in the same thread.

65GASSER

viperman said:
Cool pics! Definitely more attractive than the Metra trains we have around Chicago

Hey I rode the Metra a few times to and from Chicago!
Those are some sweet pics Shane!

tetters

Rail Spiking Fool!
Val asked for some bridge pics so I snapped a few today...and then some. sign1

Looking west... Notice the service ramp for vehicles to access the yard tracks on the right.

01_04_1.JPEG

Detail shot of the top corner, rivets et all.

01_04_10.JPEG

The upper truss cross bracing girders and stuff. FYI - The cables spanning the bridge are for the TTC street cars which cross the bridge North and South.

01_04_17.JPEG

01_04_18.JPEG

Street level support.

01_04_11.JPEG

I never really noticed until looking at these pictures and realized that there is a lot going on here. Not from an engineering perspective but more as a layman. I see a ton of rivets everywhere, the different sizes of steel beams and peices. The angles on the thing. Also the colours; rust, black, whites, browns...It's all there. We can only fake these kinds of details. It would be neat to actually "produce" them in some way like the enviroment does over time.

More to come.

tetters

Rail Spiking Fool!
More...

A few of Toronto's Finest on bike patrol...in January!!!

01_04_35.JPEG

I'm very impressed sometime at what lengths graffitti artists will go to in order to tag something.

01_04_34.JPEG

Details of the bridge lights, and support for the electircal and tele-com wires.

01_04_26.JPEG

Nice and close shot of the supports.

01_04_19.JPEG

More tagging by "VC"

01_04_21.JPEG

There you go I hope I didn't over do it. :D

tetters

Rail Spiking Fool!
Last batch. I gotta go find some trains!

Signage!

01_04_7.JPEG

Asphalt anyone?

01_04_5.JPEG

I thought this pic was great. They left the old track in and just put the fence right over top of it. I have to remember to add something like this as scenery when I finally get aroung to building my own layout. Use some old brass track for it...

01_04_28.JPEG

Retaining wall, graffiti and general lack of "house-keeping". sign1

01_04_22.JPEG

The front of bill-board was the usual assult on the senses. The back to me was much more interesting.

01_04_23.JPEG

Pooh Bah
More ancient history: IIRC, the Bathurst bridge originally went in a more sothwesterly direction, coming out the other side of Fort York (you can see Fort Yrok in a couple of the pictures). At the time of one of the great reconstructions (Union Station in the 20s?) the whole bridge was swung around in line with Bathurst Street.
Now, how about that modular concrete wall constuction? Would anyone model that?