tooo hot

Discussion in 'RC General & Getting Started' started by danny_holtermann, Feb 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have obviously running to hot if the glow plug burnt out, is it too lean or rich? how can I fix that?
  2. mastmec

mastmec Member

Glow plugs go bad, it's part of the game. The only thing you can do is keep checking the temp of your engine while you run it and make sure it doesn't overheat, that's the worst thing that can happen.
  3. jlmoreno911

jlmoreno911 Member

mastmec is correct, glow plugs need to be changed every so often.
  4. I use dynamite lean protection gas, and it bogs down, does that mean it is too lean
  5. rockn82

rockn82 Marx Brother

Do a search for "tuning engine" on the forum. I have explained it several times so I really don't feel like typing another whole page. But you will find plenty of info on too lean or too rich and the effects of each and such. If you cant find it let me know and Ill post it again for ya.
  6. mastmec

mastmec Member

All the "lean protection" means that it has more oil in the fuel,probably 16 to 18%. If it's bogging it could be too lean or too rich. Have you been checking the temp? It's the only way to tell.
  7. i don't have a temp teller thing
  8. mastmec

mastmec Member

Use the water drop test, warm up the engine, a few minutes, put a drop of water on the head, it should boil of in about 4-5sec. If it takes longer, it's too rich, if it dances around and boils off sooner than 3 sec, it's too lean, richen the mixture a 1/8 turn and retest.
    Also check your idle mixture after you get the main needle set by pinching the fuel line at the carb, it should rev then stall within 4-5 sec. If it just stalls then it's too lean, takes too long it's too rich.
  9. Jshaff15

Jshaff15 Member

I never liked that water drop test but i broke down and bought a mip on board temp gauge for 40 bucks and it was well worth it. Id reccommedn it to anyone.
  10. I don't got the money, can barely afford gas
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.