Tools

Scratchin_Mike

Mar 27, 2006
Maryland
mshkor.home.comcast.net
I've been using a band saw to cut pieces of hobbywood, balsa I think, to small strips to use on a house I'm building. Problem is, that the band saw blade tends to get pushed over as I cut. I've taken the blade on and off several times and can't seem to get it set right so that it doesn't move around.

I see they make mini-table saws for hobby work. Is the one I linked to a known piece of junk or is it something usable for someone who isn't going to be using it all the time. But from time to time needs to cut small spaces out of wood, or needs to rip thin pieces of wood.

buffalo bob 52

Apr 30, 2006
central Ct.
I bought one like that

Hi,

I too bought a 4" inch saw like that - and it does cut wood......but you get what you pay for. My saw needed tweaking to cut - the blade wobbles way too much to make the 1/8 inch blade kerf narrower then the grand canyon. Forget ripping on it as it is. I have strapped in the direct drive motor to keep it from moving when you cut, I have c clamped a piece of square stock as a fence with limited results. I'm still looking for a thin 4" blade to mount and try. I would say this is a toy that has possibilites but if you plan on ripping thin strips forget it. I still want the $400 4" saw. Hope that helpped.

farmer ron

Jan 18, 2002
B.C., canada
Visit site
I have used the balsa stripper for years, works great, go slow and replace the blade often..works great..buy the thin balsa sheets a the hobby shop or craft stores, you can pre mark it with knot holes and scratches before you cut it.. ron

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
Scratchin Mike. Hello there. I have lots of experiance with power saws. I would like you to read my "How To" on cutting scale lumber. You will find you don't need an expensive saw. What you need is technique.

Read my "How To" carfully and you will learn a lot about saws, blades, jigs and techniques to let you cut scale lumber safe and reliable.
http://www.sitefights.com/community/art/trainclown/Trainstuff/sawstuff.shtml

TrainClown :thumb: