Tool to cut Atlas Flextrack

davera

Jul 8, 2004
www.ofoto.com
I have tried using a hacksaw but the track just bends. I even built a benchwork platform to hold the track.

At a recent train show (Bedford Boomers in Bedford, NH) someone there mentioned to try use a pair of nippers that are somewhat flat to avoid getting that pinched end result. But I think I forgot where I could get something that would suit HO track.

any ideas?

Mar 8, 2003
eddielandreth.boche.net
Davera - I use the Xuron rail nippers and they work beautifully. You can nip and nip at the track to nibble it down to exactly the length you need. I would never use anything else. To me, they are the perfect, fast, precise solution.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Davera: a hack saw wont work with anything that can slip between the teeth. You can get a blade called a Razor Saw that has very fine teeth. Some stores sell a version with plastic handle and back; others have one that fits in an X-Acto handle. This was traditional before the flush cutting pliers; it's also in the top dozen tools for scratch-building and some kit-building.

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2002
Big Valley, California
While I believe most people use nippers, I used an Atlas Super Saw to cut all of my track (and almost everything else on my layout). It is a fine toothed razor saw with a sturdy plastic handle. Cost about $3.95 online. Best money I ever spent. I've also used it to cut copper tubing, hardwood flooring, aluminum, moulding and a host of otherthings around the house. After two years, it is finally getting a little dull. Wish I bought a dozen. :thumb:
Doc

RioGrande

Jun 10, 2004
Ya ya!

Xuron or Dremel with cutoff disk... wear eye protection cause those discs have a way of breaking apart.

CalFlash

Oct 31, 2004
central Florida
I use a good pair of diagonal cutting pliers and clean up (minimal) with a file. Simple and fast. Hint: I cut with the "good" side of the rail on the left and apply a slight top to bottom "twist" as I cut.

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Well overlooking the fact that I would be lost without my trusty Dremel I have used the Atlas super saw or a razor saw..But,I must say I perfer my good old Dremel for cutting track. :thumb:

Eddie Landreth said:
Davera - I use the Xuron rail nippers and they work beautifully. You can nip and nip at the track to nibble it down to exactly the length you need. I would never use anything else. To me, they are the perfect, fast, precise solution.

Ditto! Xuron is hard to beat. They work great. Seldom need any filing either. :thumb:

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
I use an Atlas razor saw to mark where to cut when I have track in place and then use my Xuron tool. I rarely need to file the cut either.
Ralph

rcline

Jul 26, 2004
Byers, Tx. 76357
www.geocities.com
I have "THE" very best tool that I ever found! I just wait till my wife starts chewing my tail end and I jam the track into her mouth, a clean cut every time and it shuts her up!
he he he!!!! not really! I use razor saw and file.

F

Fred_M

When I worked at Area 51 we cut track with a 5.000.000 MeV positron particle accelerator we were building for the Stratic Defense Initiative . It cut code 100 (and real rail too) like butter with no slag or residue. Then one night Jimmy cut some track without checking the radar and he cut an Aurora in half with the beam 65 miles away (oops). They made us quit using it for cutting track after that. Fred

vanda32547

Jun 4, 2002
Miami Florida
www.geocities.com
I like using the Dremel cut disc to cut my flextrack. Use goggles and be careful because at that high speed sometimes a small piece of track will fly off. Not only does the Dremel do a neat & clean cut but it sands the cut end at the same time.

Regards,

SAL Comet

May 13, 2004
N.W. Georgia
rcline said:
I have "THE" very best tool that I ever found! I just wait till my wife starts chewing my tail end and I jam the track into her mouth, a clean cut every time and it shuts her up!

You're treadin' on thin ice there rcline :eek: