Ton Class Sweepers/Hunters

sailor return

I served 5 happy years on Ton class mine hunters back in the 60's. Has anyone produced a card model of them? Over 120 were built and they served with many Commonwealth Navies.
Keith M

crimson

Welcome aboard Sailor return!

My late father was on the Hubberston in the mid 1970s. It was the last ship he was on before he left the service.

I have a model on the go, but real life gets in the way and I don't work on it very often. It's still at the 3d model stage in 'Blender' and still HMS Nurton until I make some new textures for her.

I have found that there was a surprising amount of variation from ship to ship, especially around the shape of the bridge. This is the first ship I have modelled and I thought I could use 'any' Ton-class as a template :eek:ops:.

On which ship did you serve Sailor return?

sailor return

Wot ho, Crimson, and thanks for the welcome.
You are right, every Ton was slightly different. My first was Maxton- M1165- after conversion to 'hunter, when the main sweep loops were removed. She had an extra 40 mm Bofor fitted in lieu of the original 20mm aft of the funnel. We steamed her from Devonport to Singapore in '66. ( The Hubberston- The Bubble- was out there, too)
Second was Nurton - M1166- also a hunter. Great ships, 500 tons of fighting wood and alluminium!
You may find this site of interest http://www.tca2000.co.uk/index.htm
You projected model looks good so far
Keith M

crimson

I had time to make a little progress on the Hubberston: added some deck detail; reshaped the superstructure about a dozen times and started on the textures.

I think I am going to have to redo the Bofors for 1:200 :eek:ops:

I decided to tidy up my work room, so I could really get down to some paper modelling this Saturday. I now have a (reasonably) tidy room, and I can get to the surface of the workdesk, but it took all of Saturday to do it! :eek:ops:

...Maybe next weekend