Toms layout/locomotive thread

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by tomustang, Nov 27, 2008.

1. tomustang

tomustang Has Entered.

I needed to make this thread since I'm not on much and decided I should be, and interact more when I can. A lot of great threads are here with everything showing their joy in this hobby and their nice layouts.

So I went out and bought one of my favorite trains yesterday, a Bachmann Dash 8-40CW (Conrail) I wanted this thing for a while and decided to pick it up

I picked up some 4X4 boards and designed a 4X8X4 L shaped modular layout, however I can only work on it 4X4 at a time since space is limited for now until I get a house. as I keep buying more track (code 83, mostly 22" radius) the layout will be able to expand after I'm done utilizing the 3 4X4 spaces

It'll be a mix of eras but mainly modern, I want to use the Pennsylvania Rail Road and Conrail for the majority, CSX and Norfolk Southern as slowing coming into the picture

I have a lot of rolling stock mostly coal (hoppers, gondolas) and several centerflow hoppers, but I'm even expanding on that with various others.

The loco's include:

CSX SD-45

Conrail GP38-2

NS SD40-2

PRR 2-6-0 w/ tender

Conrail Gp9

Conrail SW1500

Bethlehem Steel Switcher

As for the layout buildings I divided it up in 5 sections. 2 industrial, 1 commercial, 2 residential. I'm going to try to use all the space possible but not have big factory's in this layout but "Branch" buildings that only are one or two division for a company, like the Steel plant will only do pipe and sheet with a small scrap collection. I'll be picking up more buildings so I can get a better scope on sizing everything but for now I have stuff to do so Enjoy :wave:
  2. steamhead

steamhead Active Member

Hey Tom...!! You've got some nice stuff there, and it looks like you got a pretty good idea of where you want to go with your layout..!!! Go to it and keep us updated in the process..!!
    Good luck..!!
  3. TruckLover

TruckLover Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer

Tom, thanks for posting, you have some nice equipment there :mrgreen: I love the Conrail Dash8-40CW. Hard to believe thats a Bachman, they have really progressed in the detail department since i last looked into them. I guess i should look into them again, they look great!!! Maybe its time to pick up a couple for myself :mrgreen: :thumb:

Looking forward to seeing some layout pictures :thumb:
  4. Ralph

Ralph's for fun!

Hey Tom,

Great looking equipment with very nice details such as the wiper blades, MU hoses, etc.
    Say, if you're mixing a little Pennsy and Conrail there is an era in between I'd like to talk to you about. :)

5. tomustang

tomustang Has Entered.

Thanks guys, you all have a lot of talent and am sure you'll all inspire me in my projects, and help a little :mrgreen:

Already there, Ralph. Just need some more cars :thumb:

6. green_elite_cab

green_elite_cab Keep It Moving!

Cool, i have a lot of the same ones. I've been saving up for an Atlas Gold Conrail C40-8W.
  7. Its amazing how much things have changed i have the old bachman and the newer 8-40cw:confused:
  8. stuart_canada

stuart_canada Member

i have 3 of the older bachmann spectrum LMS dash 8-40cw models
    i have since started to remove the paint from one and patching it over to the CN IC units.
    i am pleased with the bachmann models, if i could justify the cost of thee atlas one i would buy one but hard to find the cn ic model
    enjoy your dash 8 model
  9. eightyeightfan1

eightyeightfan1 Now I'm AMP'd

Nice collection.
    Got a layout planned?
  10. tomustang

tomustang Has Entered.

Yeah, it's a 4X4 4X4 4X4 modular L shape in which I can expand when I get more room, for now I'm making one 4X4 at a time. Sure it will change a bit here and there :mrgreen: