Toms layout/locomotive thread

tomustang

Has Entered.
I needed to make this thread since I'm not on much and decided I should be, and interact more when I can. A lot of great threads are here with everything showing their joy in this hobby and their nice layouts.

So I went out and bought one of my favorite trains yesterday, a Bachmann Dash 8-40CW (Conrail) I wanted this thing for a while and decided to pick it up

8-40.jpg

8-40cwfront.jpg

I picked up some 4X4 boards and designed a 4X8X4 L shaped modular layout, however I can only work on it 4X4 at a time since space is limited for now until I get a house. as I keep buying more track (code 83, mostly 22" radius) the layout will be able to expand after I'm done utilizing the 3 4X4 spaces

It'll be a mix of eras but mainly modern, I want to use the Pennsylvania Rail Road and Conrail for the majority, CSX and Norfolk Southern as slowing coming into the picture

I have a lot of rolling stock mostly coal (hoppers, gondolas) and several centerflow hoppers, but I'm even expanding on that with various others.

The loco's include:

CSX SD-45

DSC04406.jpg

CSX2.jpg

Conrail GP38-2

gp-38-2.jpg

NS SD40-2

gp-40.jpg

PRR 2-6-0 w/ tender

2-6-0.jpg

Conrail Gp9

GP9.jpg

Conrail SW1500

SW1500.jpg

Bethlehem Steel Switcher

BethSteel1.jpg

As for the layout buildings I divided it up in 5 sections. 2 industrial, 1 commercial, 2 residential. I'm going to try to use all the space possible but not have big factory's in this layout but "Branch" buildings that only are one or two division for a company, like the Steel plant will only do pipe and sheet with a small scrap collection. I'll be picking up more buildings so I can get a better scope on sizing everything but for now I have stuff to do so Enjoy :wave:

steamhead

Hey Tom...!! You've got some nice stuff there, and it looks like you got a pretty good idea of where you want to go with your layout..!!! Go to it and keep us updated in the process..!!
Good luck..!!

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Tom, thanks for posting, you have some nice equipment there :mrgreen: I love the Conrail Dash8-40CW. Hard to believe thats a Bachman, they have really progressed in the detail department since i last looked into them. I guess i should look into them again, they look great!!! Maybe its time to pick up a couple for myself :mrgreen: :thumb:

Looking forward to seeing some layout pictures :thumb:

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Hey Tom,

Great looking equipment with very nice details such as the wiper blades, MU hoses, etc.
Say, if you're mixing a little Pennsy and Conrail there is an era in between I'd like to talk to you about. :)

Ralph

tomustang

Has Entered.
Hey Tom...!! You've got some nice stuff there, and it looks like you got a pretty good idea of where you want to go with your layout..!!! Go to it and keep us updated in the process..!!
Good luck..!!

Tom, thanks for posting, you have some nice equipment there :mrgreen: I love the Conrail Dash8-40CW. Hard to believe thats a Bachman, they have really progressed in the detail department since i last looked into them. I guess i should look into them again, they look great!!! Maybe its time to pick up a couple for myself :mrgreen: :thumb:

Looking forward to seeing some layout pictures :thumb:

Thanks guys, you all have a lot of talent and am sure you'll all inspire me in my projects, and help a little :mrgreen:

Hey Tom,

Great looking equipment with very nice details such as the wiper blades, MU hoses, etc.
Say, if you're mixing a little Pennsy and Conrail there is an era in between I'd like to talk to you about. :)

Ralph
Already there, Ralph. Just need some more cars :thumb:

PCbox.jpg

i have 3 of the older bachmann spectrum LMS dash 8-40cw models
i have since started to remove the paint from one and patching it over to the CN IC units.
i am pleased with the bachmann models, if i could justify the cost of thee atlas one i would buy one but hard to find the cn ic model
enjoy your dash 8 model