Tompm Layout Party #6: Beginning of the RK&M

Gary S.

Oct 13, 2005
Texas
I think I will get the water-based contact cement, simply because I can easily brush it on like paint. I have about 120 square feet of foam to glue to the wood frames, instructions say to paint the glue on both surfaces, then allow to dry, then stick them together. This should also seal the top of the 1/4 plywood.

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Andrew

I am talking about the foam glues like what Woodland Scenics advertises or what you would find in a craft store that says it is for foam. These all seem to be some form of white glue that is supposedly formulated for foam. Maybe the conditions in my basement regarding heat and humidity are what makes these glues fail I don’t know.

I have not tried the gorilla glues because I don’t like the price. In our area they run two to four times more expensive then other glues of that type. Secondly after reading the precautions on the label I would not feel comfortable using in an environment where it could possibly get on something other than its intended place. I do not have the luxury of restricting access to the area where the layout is located. Kids and/or pets could come in contact with it.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Tom,

Thanks for the additional info. I had not even remembered (or maybe I never knew ;)) that WS made a foam glue. I am not crazy about the price of the Gorilla glue either, but it does come highly receommended by the club guys. I also have a tube of PL300 (foam friendly adhesive) that I am considering.

Andrew

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Thanks everyone!

I have begun to glue down the second layer of 2 inch pink foam. I have also attached the Passenger Station Diorama. The Water Tower Diorama is not attached. There is a one inch foam layer under it that is. I am leaving it unattached for now to allow for any adjustments I may need to make with its location.

aap.jpg

aaq.jpg

aar.jpg

zedob

Dec 26, 2004
Chicopee, MA
Yeah, those modules will be alot happier with a layout around them. Are you planning on building the rest of the layout semi modular, or are you going to fill in between the two with parmanent layout?

Whatever you do, I'm sure it will turn out as well if not better than the modules, which are nothing less than great. Looking good Tom.

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Thanks!

I have now figured out where I am going to put the Grain Elevator Diorama. I also laid in some more foam.

These photos were taken before the foam was glued down.

aav.jpg

aaw.jpg

aax.jpg

One more diorama to go.

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
I have the reached the point where I needed to run a test train to see if there are any glaring problems with the track. To do that I placed down some foam temporarily and completed the loop in those areas. Using one of my Atlas LNE U23B locos I then ran a test train. Other than some electrical pick-up problems on the Farm House Diorama there were no issues. The Farm House Diorama problems are from the fact that I still need to get some of the glue off the rails from the ballasting process.

I then ran a train with two 50’ boxcars and a ACF covered hopper. I had one derailment issue but I expected that. Since there is no trackbed laid I have an area or two where there is some unevenness in the track and in one spot it was causing one of the boxcars to derail occasionally. In the one area I was truly interested in which is between the Passenger Station Diorama and the Water Tower Diorama there were no problems. This area will be the first area to receive trackbedding.

No pictures or video yet. I am working on that.

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Thanks Don!

Last night I added a industrial spur to the layout off the curve between the Water Tower Diorama and the Passenger Station Diorama. My intent for this corner is to have a cement plant. I am looking at Walthers Valley Cement plant but I am unsure of the footprint of the buildings and their configuration. If that does not work then I may go with a cement distributor like Walthers Medusa Cement Company.

I also continued test runs. Last night I ran both Atlas LNE U23B locos with 12 cars. I had some problems with derailments and cars splitting the new installed turnout. One of the problems was related to a low hanging trip pin on a coupler that was snagging the rails as it went through the switch. Another car apparently has an out of gauge wheel set. I came to realize that the biggest problem was due to unevenness in the track. I then temporarily placed some track-bed foam under the track to even it out and removed the two bad-ordered cars from the consist. End result; no more derailments.

Next series of tests will involve the steam locomotives.

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
I just got the dimensions of the Valley Cement complex and it confirmed my fears. It is too big. I might be able to squeeze it in but it would not look right. Looks like I will be going with Medusa or something similar.

I have seen the IHC one on EBay. Now I will have to take a closer look at the two. Model Power also has a cement factory called Hoffa Cement. The building looks very cheesy to me along with the name. MP seems to be the king of the pun names.

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Hi,

Try using Liquid Nails for Projects with the RED label (the Blue label takes forever to set). You don't need to cover the whole area, just lay down a few beads and set your foam in place. It's about 4 bucks per tube, and it goes a loooooong way.

Good luck!!

Gus (LC&P).

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Me again...

Now I'm pi...ed!!! Are you telling me that those great series of photos of trains rolling past the water tower were NOT of a layout???!!! Now you REALLY got to finish that layout but quick!!! I thought there were vast expanses of similarly scenicked railroad beyond the water tower....End of February, MAX!

(Just kiddin'...March is OK. A close-up of the water tower would aleviate the pain a little...)

Good luck!

Gus (LC&P).

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
steamhead said:
Me again...

Now I'm pi...ed!!! Are you telling me that those great series of photos of trains rolling past the water tower were NOT of a layout???!!!

Sorry for the trick. :eek:ops: :D

Thanks for the encouragement!

Here are the promised pictures. You can see where I used some WS trackbed foam temporarily to even out the track in this area. Also you can see the new turnout. This track will service the cement industry once I get it. I still have some aligning to do with the spur.

aay.jpg

aaz.jpg

aba.jpg

These last two show my Atlas MP15DC on a test run with a few cars.

abb.jpg

abc.jpg

I’m working on getting a video together.

toolman

Mar 23, 2005
east brunswick nj
Tompm, Toolman here, I work for homedepot and if you find an item lilke the glue you used not on the shelf, remember the SKU number, example 555-555, would be on the label where that product you want, ask an sale associate from the paint dept to lookup with that sku if any more is instock, if not then ask to check any other HD stores that may be near you, this can be done on the computer.
I work in toolrental, but for a couple of years worked in electrical and many times would look in other stores inventory to see if they have a product that my store be out of stock, none on order or odrered but not come in yet.

Toolman

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Now since I want to start laying track bed in the Passenger Station Diorama corner I need to get the sidings laid out for the cement industry. Since Valley Cement would be too big I decided to go with something smaller. On Friday I had a chance to go to Mitchell’s Hobbies in Wilmington, DE and I found a Walthers Medusa Cement Company kit. I brought the kit home and started working on it. I had a fair amount of problems with getting the silos together. The shed was pretty easy. Once I had the silos and shed done I could set them on the layout and work out the track layout.

abd.jpg

abe.jpg

abf.jpg

abg.jpg

abh.jpg

For the silos to cover up the joints I used white putty. I still have to paint the silos and the shed. I don’t like the look of colored plastic. Then I have to add the other parts like the blower and duct work.