Tompm Layout Party #6: Beginning of the RK&M

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
For my layout party I would like to get track down on at least half the layout. When I say track down I mean laid down with roadbed under it and it is basically ready for ballasting. This will mean that I will need to figure out placement of one or more of my dioramas. I will also need to lay down another layer of pink foam.

Here is where things stand now with the bottom layer of pink foam in place.

aae.jpg

aaf.jpg

aag.jpg

aah.jpg

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
I began laying out the track tonight as can be seen in the following photos. The main purpose of this is to see where and how the dioramas will fit in. This way I will know where to cut for the next layer of foam. I still have not decided if there will be two loops or if I will extend the track to the other end of the layout. This version shows the inner loop right now.

aai.jpg

aaj.jpg

aak.jpg

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Thanks guys!

Nothing new to report other than that I have been kicking some ideas around about where some of the sidings will go.

Right now I am out of glue so a trip to Home Depot is in order. I drive the carpool tomorrow so maybe at lunch time. Once I have the glue I can start the second layer of foam.

CharlesH.

Jul 31, 2004
my house
If the whole layout is on par with the dioramas it'll no doubt be a real gem!
Say Tom, didn't you post on the construction of the station scene? I seem to recall such a thing..

Gary S.

Oct 13, 2005
Texas
Tom, what kind of glue did you get?

I just got back from HD, all they had in water-based contact cement was a 1 gallon can of weldwood non-flammable and it was $28 ouch! I guess with about 120 square feet of layout, I will need about 1/2 of a gallon to get all the foam glued down.

Relic

Nov 6, 2005
Nova Scotia
I wish now that I had built mine as dioramas , meby I will on the other two thirds. I was begining to think nobody used sectional track and snap switches, I use flex track for sidings and such but I like the clickety clack of sectional, too bad they didn't space the joints right (staggered) I also dig your cellar, if I had a cellar it would look just like that. NIce job!!!

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Gary S. said:
Tom, what kind of glue did you get?

I just got back from HD, all they had in water-based contact cement was a 1 gallon can of weldwood non-flammable and it was $28 ouch! I guess with about 120 square feet of layout, I will need about 1/2 of a gallon to get all the foam glued down.

Let me get downstairs later tonight and I'll get the names of the bottles. They are indoor/outdoor wood glues. I'll also say why I found they work too.

Relic
When I can later tonight I'll let you know some of my reasons for using the "basic stuff". :D

Now I am off to the cookie mom's house to get more Girl Scout cookies. One third of my daughter's New York trip is paid for balloon6 . 200 more boxes to go! wall1

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Gary

The glues that I have/are using are:

Elmers Probond Interior Exterior Wood Glue. A 12 oz bottle sells for around $8.00.

Since Home Depot was out of it today when I stopped in I am using:
Tite Bond II Premium Wood Glue. It is weatherproof and sells for about $6.00 for 16 oz bottle.

I found that given the conditions in the basement and if I want a better bond I need to use the weatherproof glues. I tried various white glues but they were hit or miss. The foam glues are outrageously expensive for the amount of foam I have to glue down. Also I have had problems with them bonding over time.

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Relic

I am using snap track because it more readily available to me and I bought a bunch of it when I was doing dioramas. Also I m modeling the anthracite region of eastern Pennsylvania and there was very little if any continuous welded rail in the transition era that I am modeling. So the joints are actually somewhat prototypical.

Another reason is it is easier for me to use. That is also why I am using the snap switches. With my past track record (pun intended) laying track I need it to be as simple as possible. Maybe down the road I will replace them with something else later. I still need to figure out a way to hide the switch machines.

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Late update

I just began gluing the second layer of foam. The first piece is in place. The Passenger Station Diorama has also attached to the layout.

Pictures in a day or so after I remove the weights.

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
TomPM said:
I still need to figure out a way to hide the switch machines.
Tom,
You could mount a LH switch machine upsidedown on a RH turnout, Add a small loop of wire under the throw bar for the switch machine arm to engage then cut a recess in the foam for the switch machine to sit in. Just a thought.

Relic

Nov 6, 2005
Nova Scotia
I don't worry about hiding the switch machines becauce in some cases they are correct I remember when my father worked on the section here (Nova Scotia) and the switches on our siding had similar (as I remember) machines also a big control box and a little shack with a van stove for the men to stay in in the winter when they had to stay at the switch to keep it clear. It gives a fair bit of detail potential in a small space.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
TomPM said:
I found that given the conditions in the basement and if I want a better bond I need to use the weatherproof glues. I tried various white glues but they were hit or miss. The foam glues are outrageously expensive for the amount of foam I have to glue down. Also I have had problems with them bonding over time.

Tom,

Could you tell me more about the foam glue problems? I am assuming you are talking about the polyurethane (Gorilla-type) glue? This stuff is currently all the rage at the moular club (www.hotrak.ca) where we use a huge amount of foam in benchwork and landscaping. If there's a problem, I'd prefer to avoid it...! ;)

Thanks.

Andrew