Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by edburchell, May 27, 2006.

1. edburchell

edburchell New Member

I was starting to build my intermodal tofc/cofc facility when I was faced with a dilemna. I needed 30+ trailers to fill the scene up, and so I looked through my model boxes....not one trailer. I went to the dollar store and came back with my usual craft paints, glue, and hobby blades and a small game for my kids. It was a cheap knockoff of the Jenga game. I opened the box and all these nice 1/2" square rectangular blocks fell to the floor...I picked one up. So armed with my hobby knife, cardboard and cereal box, a section of cable tv cable, some glue, a bit of wire, and paint and the finished product is below.
    Starting with a block of wood:
    Adding 1/8th cardboard to bottom...and 1/16th cardstock to sides
    Adding some paint, strips of cereal box cardstock, the inner sleeve from cable tv cable for tires...along with wire for axles and this is what I came up with:

N scale 40' trailers(set of two)...$8.99 US
    Cost to build one of these(my version)..........$0.15 Canadian
    Look on people's faces when I tell them it was made by Kelloggs, Rogers Cable and Hasbro...Priceless
    For everything else in N scale there's cardboard!!!!
  2. jsoflo

jsoflo Member

Awesome job, that looks great, can't believe what it came from!

Also on the $$ saving front, saw a great tip on creating those gigantic stacks of containers you see at intermodal facilities and ports: use a front of actual N scale containers, but behind it, cut the containers behind this for those sections that stick out, leaving a hollow back that nobody can see and leaving the appearence of a huge container stack without buying loads of containers.

Great work!
  3. Clerk

Clerk Active Member

:wave: :wave: WOW Ed. That looks fantastic :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
  4. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

How much for another 9 games? :thumb:

i think with 16 containers you can make a pile 4x4x4 (64). Someone else can figure out how to do it if you don't model the far side. :D
  5. edburchell

edburchell New Member

Each game contains about 20 pieces so that's 2 bucks to meet my quota for trailers....a box of cereal cost $2.95 and I feed the kids too....the wire and cable TV wire cost me nothing so basically I can furnish an ENTIRE empire for under $45 Canadian. Or $10 if you have a layout like mine.
  6. train1

train1 Member

Now that's ingenuity for ya. When in doubt.... improvise :thumb:
  7. 2-8-2

2-8-2 Member

Well done! :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Threads like these are always among my favorites. I know it's helped me look at things in a different way. To look at a game piece and say, "Hey, I can use that for a semi trailer!"...that's pretty inventive.
  8. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Hi ed. I got the impression there were 3 pieces! Sorry. Are those pieces the game?
  9. Herc Driver

Herc Driver Active Member

That is great!
  10. jsoflo

jsoflo Member

Ummmmm.......... what do the kids do with the game without any pieces?;) hamr
  11. edburchell

edburchell New Member

Here is the second scratchbuild based on the same idea as my trailers. Although this time instead of cereal box for the sides I chose IDE cable from an old computer. I plan on making the outside of the stack with these and inside will be simple blocks of wood with detailed ends.