To Steam, or not to Steam?

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Steamnut, Jan 24, 2001.

1. Steamnut

Steamnut New Member

While talking to one of my suppliers today (ride on size trains), he made the comment that in his opinion, the garden scale live steam market was saturated and stagnant. [​IMG]

So, I've gotta ask you fellows...How many of you who model outdoors with electrics have thought about live steam? ...and Why or What made you hesitate or change your mind?
    (This is 95% just to satisfy my own curiousity, and maybe 5% market research, I ain't gonna call you up trying to sell ya anything, so please feel free to answer honestly...hokay?)

------------------
    Allen at Catfish Hollow
  2. Oldmax

Oldmax Member

Live Steam

Steamnut
    I have looked at steam power for some time in the future Maby to have one or two small live steam engines, American or Mogal , I only have Pre 1900 engines.
    When I get All track & other set up.
  3. Steamtom1

Steamtom1 Member

Live Steam...

At first I got into garden railroading. Then I got hooked on live steam, and I lost interest in the garden part of it. I guess I liked the machines better than the garden or the scenery. I've even gone so far as a coal fired steamer.

[​IMG]

Check out my website for some good live steam pics. http://mssls.info/tomm/Home.html
  4. SteamerFan

SteamerFan Member

I'm sorry, but I'd rather ride on a steam train than one of those powered boxcars. kinda seems outdoors is better for live steam, unless you do live deisel, but that just doesn't have the same appeal.
  5. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

Given the option I would choose live steam. I started building the old 4-4-0 but came to a stop when I reached the boiler. I still want to finish it but need to get together with others as boilers have to pass tests for safety before they can be used.