To prime or not to prime...

twilight

Nov 25, 2003
oaklyn,nj
Visit site
I've been working with Floquil paints lately and I've noticed when I prime parts to be painted and after the primer dries apply paint (with a brush)the primer pulls up and blends with the paint causing streaks.:curse: Am I doing something wrong?:confused: I'm just thinking of painting the parts without the primer. What do you guys do? Will this happen with an airbrush?:confused:

Thanks,
Mark

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
Are you thoroughly washing your parts with detergent and water and allowing them to dry before priming? Just another thought. Parting agents used in the forming process will keep paint from adhering.

twilight

Nov 25, 2003
oaklyn,nj
Visit site
Jim, I just used a piece of the spur to check if the primer was going to run. I usually do wash my model pieces and will be sure to do it this time, too. And thanks for the 48 hr suggestions, I'll give that a try! Thanks Guys!:thumb:

Mark

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Mark: are you using Floquil for the primer as well? Floquil's thinner (dio-sol) used to be a mild solvent which attacked platics. I think it may have been reformulated. Floquil was suitable for application to metal without primer, unless you needed it for colour.

twilight

Nov 25, 2003
oaklyn,nj
Visit site
David, I am using Floquil's primer and I am using on plastic. I'm about to experiment with the 48 hr suggestion offered by the previous posts.

Mark

Bill Pontin

Oct 14, 2001
Milford, CT
Visit site
At the last protype meet, earlier this year, I found the best solvent to clean parts is a laundry product called "Shout" and rinsing your parts in water after cleaning. Worst cleaning product is dishwashing liquids. Dishwashing liquids all contain emolients added to keep your hands soft. The emolients cannot be rinsed off your parts.:D