to much concrete

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks' started by railroader9731, Aug 21, 2006.

1. here is a scenary idea: the contracter ordered to much concrete! so now they have to dump it some where right? i took left over sculpt a mold and just put down small blobs and it makes a realistic concrete pile left over.
  2. LoudMusic

LoudMusic Member

Is this what they actually do, or is there some kind of pre-casting molds that they dump it into to save the material? Like steps, or parking blocks, or just big concrete pylons. If not there should be!

But cool idea non-the-less. Construction accidents are usually interesting to model as well. Maybe have them overflow a foundation and the contractor's truck be sitting in a puddle of concrete ;)
  3. Relic

Relic Member

I like the way your mind works LM, not everything is kittens and bunnies real life has teeth
  4. TruckLover

TruckLover Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer

They do it both ways. But usallly on big construction sites, they have a containers/dumpsters that they use for concrete truck washouts and extra concrete.
  5. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

There's a concrete place just west of Ottawa, and they wash out the trucks in one area of their yard. The extra water spoils the concrete, but every once in a while I think they bring in a dozer to scrape up whatever has set, and then it becomes "clean fill" that is trucked away.

I don't know what they do with the "overages", although I once bought leftover runway concrete from the airport. I think it was about $20 for 6 yards, delivered right to my house.

6. well that idea come from the concrete plan right down the road from me, they bring the trucks out back along the old o&w right away and dump the left over out and as stated the use a loader to move it to trucks or as thier own use.
  7. LoudMusic

LoudMusic Member

Over the past few weeks I've been watching a demolition crew tear down a fairly large 5 story building near my parking garage. Next to this building, with only an allyway of space between them, is the finest hotel in all of Little Rock. Of course these modern wreckers are using hydrolic arms with pinchers to pull the building down, but ~50 years ago they would probably have been using a wrecking ball and explosives. So in my crazy brain I keep imagining a wrecking ball swinging through the build, across the ally, and into the Capitol Hotel. The view from inside the hotel could be a woman in the shower and suddenly her room gets smashed away leaving her stranded with water spilling out of the bathroom onto the people in the room below below.

Staying on the concrete concept, it could be fun to have a cement truck driving to a job site and spilling concrete as he goes. Every time he pulls away from a stop sign or traffic light there could be a car with a couple hundred pounds of concrete on its hood. The truck driver completely oblivious until the local police finally catch up to him.
  8. Herc Driver

Herc Driver Active Member

I'm going to try using drywall plaster to make concrete barriers found on most roadways now...I figured I'd make a mold (Nscale) and try to see how it dries being that small. Anyone else did this same thing?
  9. LoudMusic

LoudMusic Member

It seems like a dense artist's clay might be more effective. But I've not used either material much. Let us know your results :)
  10. Herc Driver

That clay idea is a good one. I've got lots of various types of drywall products, might as well put some of them to work. I was thinking about trying a vinyl type for a road, hoping the vinyl would be easy to use. Might as well give what I have laying around the house a shot...
  11. i take you mean the intermedian barier?
  12. cidchase

cidchase Active Member

No, I think he means the median barrier.:thumb:
    (The New Jersey Median Barrier, more commonly
    referred to 'round here as the "Jersey Barrier"):D :D

Our friends to the north can also boast the "Ontario tall-wall barrier."
    Don't want to leave anyone out! :D :D
  13. MilesWestern

MilesWestern Active Member

we in CA, call them the Armco, after their manufacturer! ;)
  14. TruckLover

That is a great idea Herc, Please let us no how it turns out and if it meets your standards, post a couple of pics.:thumb: :thumb:
  15. TruckLover

I think that is a great idea LM. I might do a little scene like that.
  16. MilesWestern

MilesWestern Active Member

Trucklover, would that actually happen, where a concrete mixer actually spills it's lods like that? :confused:
  17. Herc Driver

Yes sir you're right I meant "Jersey Barrier"...but if I type that, the North Carolina DOT will confiscate my computer since only us "northeners" would know such a term much less actually use it here in the South. I could actually use them here and there on my layout...I've just got to find the easiest/cheapest way to make them and make them strong enough. If and when I break the code...I'll post some pictures.
  18. kirkendale

kirkendale Member

The barriers were often called a GM barrier because GM was pat of the original design team. I don't know if it was pushed by GM back in the early eighties or if the were tried on GM's test track... maybe both?
    For many years some regions ( ie steel producing areas ) were slow to discard the older steel barriers in favour of the new medium.
    As for the concrete washout, in the Toronto area the trucks pour out the remains and wash the drum into forms and make crude blocks. At my work we have often bought these blocks to make walls for storage bins. They generaly are 3' wide, 2' high and 8' long and weight about 5,500 lbs. They will have a 'keyed' bottom and a notched top so as to interlock. They are very very cheap because there is no strength in them beside the dormant concrete. The only steel is a lifting loop to help dismold them. The quaility of the blocks is very very poor, again there made from the washout. A lot of times you can see the layering of the concrete and at times a very open gravel texture with little cement to bond them. But, they do the job. We stack them 4 or 5 high, loose material is stored in the bins and is scooped up with a front end loader, hence the need to interlock.
    If I can snap a picture or two I will try to post... :thumb:
  19. LoudMusic

LoudMusic Member

I see a lot of bins like that around here in the home gardening centers. Full of mulch, chip, dirt, and sand. I figured those things were cheap, they're so poorly manufactured :)
  20. Ralph

Ralph's for fun!

This is just an experiment to post in the thread at this point. Please ignore! :)
    I heard there might be some issues with photos.....

Attached Files: