to, mods

joesho

Apr 29, 2006
surrey bc canada
to mods,do any of you know what happened to the free ipod thread yesterday?,or what the link was? or were the thread went?. ive already tried looking for it but cannot find it,help would be appreaciated.btw,i no this is really off topic :wave: :thumb: :rolleyes:

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
joesho said:
to mods,do any of you know what happened to the free ipod thread yesterday?,or what the link was? or were the thread went?. ive already tried looking for it but cannot find it,help would be appreaciated.btw,i no this is really off topic :wave: :thumb: :rolleyes:
Yes, we know what happened to it, like all other spam, it was removed from the forum or thread it was in just as soon as one of the mods find stuff like that. They are a scam, there are no free iPods. They said if you fill out a three-page form you would get one... very unlikely. The day before, another spammer offered an iPod for $1 if you filled out a ten-page questioneer.

We get at least 100 spam messages here every week selling everything from medication, cell phones, computers, iPods, free pictures (not cool) and just spouting garbage, and we take them and the spammer out as quickly as we can. So don't be disappointed, we are trying to protect our members as well as keeping this board clean and worth coming here for.:thumb: :thumb:

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
joesho said:
no,but it was a guy from the forum,saying that he had actually received an i pod and it was not a scam,and he had given the link
No, it was from a guy that had registered just minutes before posting his only post, this "revelation". I won't even tell you his screen name because it too was offensive. We still have the post, and usually keep posts like this for a few days, but there's no way that it's for real, believe me, no way.....

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Sorry joe,

Link is gone, as is the case with all spam. In addition to whatever personal information you will "willingly" submit to their questionnaire, there is also a good possibility that spyware is being installed on your computer as well to track what you are doing. If you are really unlucky, viruses or other malicious software will be installed with the intent of using your Internet connection for phone calls, ripping off your music collection, disabling your various programs, or whatever else you probably don't want to happen.

Andrew

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Andrew is right, and for what reason would you risk exposing yourself to that? Plus, if you try it, you will surely give them information that can only cause you or your family harm. Remember, they don't need much from you to start ripping you and your family off.

Right now there is a scheme where when they have enough information, they are forging documents and actually selling people's houses right out from under them. Now wouldn't that be great, all I wanted was a free iPod and what I got was for me and my family to be homeless.... That's why we don't leave this information accessable. And no, we don't try out the links to see if they're any good. We've all got AV, anti-spam filters, firewalls and other things, but we aren't going to take any risks, so just forget about it and be thankful you didn't click on the link.

joesho

Apr 29, 2006
surrey bc canada
we,have entered in quite a bit of comtests/stuff like this,no stuff harm has come so far,besides i just want to show my dad, its up to him if i should enter

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
I'm glad that you're taking the precaution to check with your dad first. But as long as I am convinced that it is a scam and that there are no "free" iPods at the end ot this tunnel, then I have an obligation to not disseminate this information to anyone here. These "offers" come through here daily, just like the 50 or so spam and scam emails I get, and there isn't a chance that I would give any of these people information regardless of what they promise. You must also be aware that these are not people making these offers, they are bots, some that have taken over the computers of innocent people that have clicked on links in these posts. They may send out ten million of these messages every day in hopes that even just a few people will respond.

Nope, no one here is going to be responsible for letting this stuff stay viable here for any length of time and no one will give out this information after it's been removed. That's in the best interest of everyone here.

Renovo PPR

Just a Farmer
Dec 23, 2006
Somerset County PA
I would rank the free IPOD right along with the promise of receiving a few million dollars for helping some foreign diplomat move a secret hidden box of millions of dollars.
A contest is a contest but something free such as an IPOD only results in clogged email accounts. Take it from someone whose kids tried to get the free IPOD. I don’t even want to go into the problems that resulted from the free IPOD.
[FONT=&quot]You just might as well hand out your e-mail address to every Tom, Dick and Harry on the Internet. Remember when people used to like working to earn money and buy things.

Just a note I don't care if you have all the best safety programs made in the world, if they want something they will get err done. So why help them?

I am happy to say both of my daughters 10 & 15 now have IPODS. They got them the old fashion way they earned them. They bought a few pounds of sweet corn seed and had a great time making money when it was time to sell it. Note yes I planted it but they did the rest like picking it and working the roadside stop with me sitting under a nice big shade tree making sure everything went well.[/FONT]

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Rancho Santa Margarita, Cali.
ezdays said:
Andrew is right, and for what reason would you risk exposing yourself to that? Plus, if you try it, you will surely give them information that can only cause you or your family harm. Remember, they don't need much from you to start ripping you and your family off.

Right now there is a scheme where when they have enough information, they are forging documents and actually selling people's houses right out from under them. Now wouldn't that be great, all I wanted was a free iPod and what I got was for me and my family to be homeless.... That's why we don't leave this information accessable. And no, we don't try out the links to see if they're any good. We've all got AV, anti-spam filters, firewalls and other things, but we aren't going to take any risks, so just forget about it and be thankful you didn't click on the link.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: OUCH, that would be horrible, never have clicked on thoe stupid things and for sure will never will.

Andrew, Don and Renovo, you can never be to safe and this was and could have caused great harm to many members computers if one of the mods did not quickly remove it. Thanks guys for helping us stay safe on the internet. I HATE SPAMsign1

N

nachoman

Renovo PPR said:
[FONT=&quot] They got them the old fashion way they earned them. They bought a few pounds of sweet corn seed and had a great time making money when it was time to sell it. Note yes I planted it but they did the rest like picking it and working the roadside stop with me sitting under a nice big shade tree making sure everything went well.[/FONT]

MMmmm. Summertime and sweet corn. I suggest watermelon this year. :D That really hits the spot!! :thumb:

kevin

hooknlad

Mar 28, 2005
Woodbridge, NJ USA
Don , I would like to take this moment to thank you and all the mods for stopping the spam and not releasing the info to others. I respect your decision. Im not that computer savvy , but this decision just might've saved the gauge from getting a virus, then my computer might get sick, as well as the other great members of this fine forum..
Once again - Thanx folks !!! Bravo..

Renovo PPR

Just a Farmer
Dec 23, 2006
Somerset County PA
[FONT=&quot]That is the one that caused the biggest problems in my 10 years on the Internet. I can only warn and strongly warn keep clear or get ready to change your e-mail address among with other problems.
[/FONT]

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
Squidbait said:
Actually the free iPod deal is real, but it's a pyramid scheme. You have to sign up, and then get 5 friends to sign up, and everybody has to participate in a free trial. Once the trial is over, everybody gets their free ipod.

http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,64614,00.html
And you get the holy bejeezus spammed out of you as well.
I knew a guy that did this and actually got the free iPod but he harassed the crap out of everyone else on the forum to sign up and made such a big deal about it when he got it.

Then it was broke a week later. :D

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Thank you all for your confidence in the decisions of the staff here at the Gauge. We try and I don't know of one post that we got rid of because we thought it was spam, that didn't deserve it. Common sense tells us that someone in business isn't going to be giving away free anything without a payback. In this case, if they actually do give away an iPod, they'll mine so much information about so many people as a result that their payback will be enormous as to what they can sell this information for and what the bad guys that buy it will use it for. Nope, something free that isn't coming from a buddy or family member just isn't worth the risks.