to lube or not to lube

roch

Jan 1, 2008
Denver, CO
This may sound silly, but my train squeeks when it passes over parts of the track and I was thinking of putting a little vasaline on the track. I do not want to ruin it after all of the time and effort I put into it so far.

:wave:

Roch

roch

Jan 1, 2008
Denver, CO
:thumb:

Thank you for the reply and advice. :thumb:

I kind of thought it would mess thinks up. The reason I considered using vasaline is because I was not about to spray it WD-40.:eek:

Peace and love,

Roch

Now if I could only remember what my next thread was about...........................sign1

Roch

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Squeaks are probably in the axlebox of a car or the drive gears of a loco. If you can detect which car is doing it, give it a half drop of oil.
If the track is causing the squeak, it may be narrow. That could be a major problem.

roch

Jan 1, 2008
Denver, CO
I decided to lube a little portion of the track anyway and I will tell you what, my train has never moved so fast. I only used a very little bit of vasaline on about 1/4" of the track just to be safe and the result was amasing.
If I glued wings to my loco it would probably fly. LOL

roch

Jan 1, 2008
Denver, CO
wall1wall1wall1

I never should have used vasaline or anything. The squeek went away but now the loco spins its tires and the track gets dirty quick from dust. I have a very dusty workshop. I also do wood working and the saw dust is something I just cannot aviod. :cry: I used up all of my compressed air so I just blow the dust off with my mouth and try to clean up with the shop vac.

At least I have never sucked up my loco with the vac. I will probably have a nightmare about that now. :curse:sign1

Roch

roch

Jan 1, 2008
Denver, CO
I still have vasaline on my track and trucks so they are soaking in hot soapy water now to be cleaned off when it cools down.

I bought graphite to lube the gears on my loco. I hope that is not a bad thing. I have not applied it yet. Advice about graphite?

Roch

Renovo PPR

Just a Farmer
Dec 23, 2006
Somerset County PA
:mrgreen: Yeah rule one goes something like this never ever put any type of oil or grease on your track system.

Try some rubbing alcohol with a cloth.

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Graphite works ok, but you'll be spreading that fine dust all over your track. A good modeling grease is the best thing for gears, but use it sparingly.....
Like Renovo says, rubbing alcohol is pretty good for cleaning the track & wheels....

Renovo PPR

Just a Farmer
Dec 23, 2006
Somerset County PA
I like to use a light oil or plastic compatible grease on my O trains. However I did notice a multi - purpose dry graphite lubricant is offered at many N gauge trains sites.

roch

Jan 1, 2008
Denver, CO
Finally got all the lube off my track and even tilted the whole layout to different grades and it no longer spins its wheels. :mrgreen:

Thank you all again for the advice. I hope this helped more than just myself. :thumb:

Roch

roch

Jan 1, 2008
Denver, CO
I wouldn't ever use vasaline on the track!

Never again will I use any kind of lube on the track. I did not realize that real trains squeak till I visited an area where the trains are not blowing their horns while passing through. I like the squeek now. It sounds more realistic. :mrgreen:

Roch

nkp174

Oct 10, 2006
Cincinnati, O.
I use graphite for couplers, trucks, and tools. I use small amounts of grease on gears.

I'm firmly in the anti-oil-on-the-track crowd...having once been big into different types of oil and track cleaning.