to lube or not to lube

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by roch, Jan 4, 2008.

1. roch

roch Member

This may sound silly, but my train squeeks when it passes over parts of the track and I was thinking of putting a little vasaline on the track. I do not want to ruin it after all of the time and effort I put into it so far.

2. roch

roch Member

Thank you for the reply and advice. :thumb:

I kind of thought it would mess thinks up. The reason I considered using vasaline is because I was not about to spray it WD-40.:eek:

Peace and love,

Now if I could only remember what my next thread was about...........................sign1

3. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Squeaks are probably in the axlebox of a car or the drive gears of a loco. If you can detect which car is doing it, give it a half drop of oil.
    If the track is causing the squeak, it may be narrow. That could be a major problem.
  4. roch

roch Member

I decided to lube a little portion of the track anyway and I will tell you what, my train has never moved so fast. I only used a very little bit of vasaline on about 1/4" of the track just to be safe and the result was amasing.
    If I glued wings to my loco it would probably fly. LOL
  5. steamhead

steamhead Active Member

Squeaks are prototypical....
  6. roch

roch Member

I never should have used vasaline or anything. The squeek went away but now the loco spins its tires and the track gets dirty quick from dust. I have a very dusty workshop. I also do wood working and the saw dust is something I just cannot aviod. :cry: I used up all of my compressed air so I just blow the dust off with my mouth and try to clean up with the shop vac.

At least I have never sucked up my loco with the vac. I will probably have a nightmare about that now. :curse:sign1

7. roch

roch Member

I still have vasaline on my track and trucks so they are soaking in hot soapy water now to be cleaned off when it cools down.

I bought graphite to lube the gears on my loco. I hope that is not a bad thing. I have not applied it yet. Advice about graphite?

8. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

:mrgreen: Yeah rule one goes something like this never ever put any type of oil or grease on your track system.

Try some rubbing alcohol with a cloth.
  9. steamhead

steamhead Active Member

Graphite works ok, but you'll be spreading that fine dust all over your track. A good modeling grease is the best thing for gears, but use it sparingly.....
    Like Renovo says, rubbing alcohol is pretty good for cleaning the track & wheels....
  10. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

I like to use a light oil or plastic compatible grease on my O trains. However I did notice a multi - purpose dry graphite lubricant is offered at many N gauge trains sites.
  11. roch

roch Member

Finally got all the lube off my track and even tilted the whole layout to different grades and it no longer spins its wheels. :mrgreen:

Thank you all again for the advice. I hope this helped more than just myself. :thumb:

12. SD90

SD90 Active Member

I wouldn't ever use vasaline on the track!
  13. roch

roch Member

Never again will I use any kind of lube on the track. I did not realize that real trains squeak till I visited an area where the trains are not blowing their horns while passing through. I like the squeek now. It sounds more realistic. :mrgreen:

14. nkp174

nkp174 Active Member

I use graphite for couplers, trucks, and tools. I use small amounts of grease on gears.

I'm firmly in the anti-oil-on-the-track crowd...having once been big into different types of oil and track cleaning.