To file or not to file ?

Why me

Mar 29, 2004
london uk
Visit site
Hi looking at my track i know again still have several high spots where track joins sleepers there a tad high by about a 1.5mm do i file the littlebuggers or not so it will give me smopth running over joins ty .mike

Always looking on the bright side of life

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Mike,

If the joints are out that much (1.5mm) then I would look to see if the rails are joined properly. Sometimes you can get one rail sitting on top of the joiner, instead of in it. With Code 100, 1.5mm is about half the height of the rail - you don't want to be filing that away.

If the rails are joined properly, your difference could be caused by a few other things: different code rail, like Code 83 and Code 100 meeting. I have done this a number of times, as it is difficult to see the difference sometimes. Also if the track is the same code, but from different manufacturers, the ties (sleepers) might be different thicknesses, causing the rail to come out at different heights. The solution to both these is to shim the lower track up to meet the higher track.

Hope that helps.

Andrew

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Pickering. Ontario. Canada.
Visit site
Sounds to me that some of your joiners are to loose this can happen when one is trying different track plan ideas,
When I get this problem I use my solder and flux, bring the rail up level and touch it with the heat on the outside the solder will run into the joint and firm up the rail.
Works for me, but be careful.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
As has been mentioned, it could be different sizes of rail, it could be a misaligned joiner, or it could be different thickness of ties. It could also be a problem with you roadbed. Whatever you do, don't file on the rail ever!!! A file will put small scratches in the top of the rail which will become a dust and gunk magnet. You will never again get your track clean if you take a file to it.