To Build A Ship: HMS Cleopatra

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
Awesome, Larry, just totally awesome! :D

Time so very well spent, my friend! I do wish you would post more photos, though. :wink:

Rob is right, your build is more and more amazing with each update...I know you've been busy on other things called life, but please don't make us wait so long in between. :lol:

Really looking forward to seeing more of what you did after these photos were taken. :D

Cheers!

Jim

larrymax

Jan 17, 2004
Corona, CA
home.aaris.net
Sorry for the long wait, guys. Here's a couple of shots of the masts. I've FINALLY finished them! Now it's time to start building the yard arms. I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to make the flattened six sided (eight sided?)(a little help here, Jim or Gil!) section in the center of each yard arm where it rests against the mast....probably be some method similar to how I made the masts, but I think that might be too weak to handle the rigging. Oh well, we'll see.

Here's a shot of all three completed masts.
masts-completed.jpg

Here's a closeup shot of the Mizzen Mast Trestle Tree. I included an inset pic with a dime for scaling purposes. This stuff is TINY, man! I can't imaging how difficult this is going to be on Jim's Constitution! My SMALLEST trestle is about the right size for his LARGEST!!! :shock:
mizzen-tressle-tree.jpg

OK, that's it for this morning! Hope to see you all back here soon.

Max
Captain, HMS Cleopatra
Paper Navy of the Bear Flag Republic

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Looking great, Max! :D

Have you figured out how you are going to do your blocks yet? I can tell you from trying out different methods for the carronade tackles I'm working on, it's a challenge! :wink:

Excellent construction on the masts! You can actually see the tendon joint on the cap in the photo...amazing work!

Looking forward to more photos when you can, Brother!

Cheers!

Jim

Scorpio

Mar 21, 2004
Germany / Aachen
www.Kartonist.de
Hello Larry,

You are a master of the masters!
Your construction report was a big help while building of my Cleopatra for me.
Your model is the first class!
I wish you a lot geduld with the rigging!

Greeting
Christoph

larrymax

Jan 17, 2004
Corona, CA
home.aaris.net
Well, I have build my first spar. I'm at work right now, so I don't have a picture of it for you, but, I put together a drawing of how I built it. Just need to do 8 more, now!

building-a-spar.gif

I'll post some pics later.

Max
Captain, HMS Cleopatra
Paper Navy of the Bear Flag Republic

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Fantastic post, Max! :D

That's a great technique to tackle what is a difficult task in paper! I like the way you dealt with the end of the yard arms...very clever! I will have to see if I can attempt something like that on my Constitution.

Sure would love to see some photos of the model when you can, Brother!

Keep at it!!

So, what has the temperature been on the left coast...65F? It's dipped to 2F here, less with the wind chill.... :lol:

Cheers!

Jim

Gil

Jan 25, 2004
Northern Bear Flag Republic
Max,

See, you figured it out all by yourself! Great solution and thanks for sharing it with us all. I tried an idea or two but they didn't go anywhere. Your's has a certain cardmodeling elegance that grows on you.

Congrats & Thanks, Gil

P.S. Merrry Christmas!