To Build A Ship: HMS Cleopatra

Askold

Hi Captain Max,
just have a look at the thread "A New Frigate From The 1760´s" in this forum. And there she is :D
Greetz
Askold

larrymax

Well, It's been a LOOOONNNNNGGG while since I"ve had opportunity to work on Cleo! But last night and this morning, I was able to put in a few hours.....I've managed to finish 3 ships boats now....(still making more oars and masts, but at least the boats hull are done). I had a chance to see the progress of the "other" Cleo thread on our friends German site (thanks Jim!)...She inspired me to get back to work! So....after much long and patient waiting (forgetting?) from you all....I give you, Cleo's Boats!:
Here's a stand off view:
3boats1.jpg

And here's a little closer view....not TOO close...you'll see all my screw ups!
3boats2.jpg

I hope I can keep this run of working on her going....I AM going to have to take a week off, though....I'm on VACATION!!!! and going on a little Mexican Cruise with some friends next week! Hmmmmm.....maybe if I tell them I'm a Captain of my own ship, they'll let me drive for a while!!! :D

Until we sail again, I remain humbly yours,
Max
Captain, HMS Cleopatra
Paper Navy of the Bear Flag Republic

Jim Krauzlis

Hello, Max!

I wish I had your "screw-ups"!?! :?
As before, Cleo looks truly outstanding!!

I do wish you'd favor us with a few closeups of the ships boats, Cap'n, as they look to be a gems and outstanding models in their own right.

Enjoy the much deserved vacation, and "Via con Dios, Amigo!!"
Enjoy the Coronas and sunshine. :lol:

Jim

Scorpio

Hi, Larry,
Your Cleo is a wonderwork.
Your construction report and the photos are a big help for me.
You are the true master in the cardboard construction.
With the heartiest greetings
Christoph
(Scorpio)

larrymax

OK, Jim....but no fair picking out stuff that needs fixin! These macro lenses see EVERYTHING!!! Damn!

3boats4.jpg

3boats3.jpg

Max
Captain...yadda, yadda, yadda

barry

Max

The macro lenses seem to be showing 3 beautifully built boats, would you like to ring the mistakes, because I cannot see them.

Wonderful build nice to see you back again

barry

Jim Krauzlis

Thanks, Max! :D

Nope, nary a thing to be fixed, Max. :lol:

Well, okay, maybe one suggestion...are you going to lash the boats down? :wink:

They came out like I expected, my friend, little gems in their own right! :D Great job! And great photos! That macro lens works quite well to show off your superb work.

Keep at it, mate, we all missed Cleo and look forward to more after your shore leave!

Jim

larrymax

Hello mates! Long time no see! Well, Cleo is getting ready to make another personal appearance at the IPMS West Coast Convention this weeekend (Oct 17, 2004) out in Anaheim, so I got off my "aft" and got working on her a bit more! I've managed to put together an anchor and the lower foremast. I still need to rig up the anchor (been looking for some source material on how they hung these big babies!) and I think I want to wrap the lower fore mast with black line between the rings....The model in the pics of the kit have it and it looks really nice!

lwrforemast1.jpg

Just wanted to say "Howdy" to you all, and that I miss working on Cleo as much as I was able to previously....but, progress continues...and my Constitution still awaits me finishing Cleo! By the way Jim! Your thread on your Constitution build is FANTASTIC! YOU'RE AS ANAL AS I AM! (that's a Complement, my brother!) :D :D !!! (LOL!)

Max
Captain, HMS Cleopatra

Jim Krauzlis

Max, good to see Cleo again...and she's looking as beautifl as ever! :D

How did you want to rig the anchors, off the catheads like a lot of display models show, or stowed for sea, lashed to the anchor ports? I might have some info for both, or you could check out the Modelshipwrights site for photos of Victory, which I believe has some photos of the stowed anchors. Either way will look great. :D

I really appreciate the compliment about my Constitution thread, indeed I do! :lol: It is a slow build but I am enjoying my attempts to make some changes from what the kit provides. I'm glad you're enjoying the thread, slow going as it is. :lol:

BTW, I also have that Fly model of Constitution sitting there just waiting for me to start. I rather like the way they printed the copper plating sheets, very nicely done. Another of my "just got to build it" projects...I've been toying with using the kit to make her as she looked in 1812 (which is what the kit seems to show) or to really go nuts and change it to her original "as launched" configuration, but that would require quite a few changes to the kit...but, what the hey, that never stopped me before! :lol:

How did you make that fore mast? It looks great! The woodlings/ropes you mention will really add interest to the mast construction, and I'm looking forward to your further updates when you can. :D

Keep at it, mate!

Jim

Gil

Max,

Great to see you're back-at-it once again! Cleo's even sporting a fore mast..., Have you started thinking about how she's going to be displayed?

Best regards, Gil

larrymax

Hi Gang.

Here are a few more shots of the lower masts. I finshed the lower main and mizzen mast yesterday....hoping to get a little further along today, before the "Trick-or-treaters" start showing up!

Here's a pick of the parts for the Lower Mizzen mast before assembly. I struggled for a while on how to make the "square" top of the mast from the "cylindrical" lower part. On my first (fore) mast, I inserted a round "pin" (paper tube) into the top of the main part of the mast, then covered that with a square tub. Wasn't very happy with the results, and it's not very strong for when I need to slide the upper parts of the mast and the "tops" over it. For the main and mizzen masts, I used thicker card stock and sandwiched layers together to build up the correct shape. The middle layers having "fingers" to slip into the opening of the top of the mast. Results...nice tight fit, very strong assembly, and a perfect match to the plans as drawn out in the instructions...ready for the tops! I'm SURE the pics make this MUCH clearer than my rantings!

Here are the parts layed out for the mizzen mast, before assy...
mast-assy-1.jpg

and just ready to insert the top...
mast-assy-2.jpg

and, finally, the three lower masts completed
mast-assy-3.jpg

I'm off to build more now, while all's quiet here at the home front! Catch up to you all soon.

Max
Captain, HMS Cleopatra

Jim Krauzlis

Hi, Max! :D

Great idea on building up the mast head :idea:

I have been trying to figure out how to tackle that part using paper/card as much as possible. Your solution works out great and looks great!

Really hope you are able to post more updates soon...demanding little fellow, aren't I? :lol:

Cheers!

Jim

Gil

Max,

The old "Pin" trick? Very nice solution. I especially like the fact that "any fool can make it work" and that it's strong enough to support the tension of rigging. My kind of solution...,

Best regards, Gil

larrymax

Yeah, guys, necessity truly is the mother of invention. I love working with paper and card stock....if it doesn't work out right the first time....wad it up, toss it in the appropriate "circular" file...and try another approach...total cost....one half sheet of paper!

So....here's what I've gotten done this morning....the Main Fighting Top. Pretty fun little build. I added the strakes across the top of the decking...they had printed lines for them...but, of course, I couldn't just "live with it"....being anal is a curse!!!!! :?

main-top.jpg

Well, that's it for today....Happy Halloween to all of you. I'll be back later!

Captain Hook! Arrrrrrr!
Formerly HMS Cleopatra!
Paper Navy of Davy Jonses' Locker!

(hehehe!)

Jim Krauzlis

Excellent job on the fighting top, Max!

Those footings do add so much to the top; well worth the effort to add them, I think. :D

Nothing wrong about trying to get it as right as you can, I always say... and if it takes a few tries, well, so what, each failure is a lesson learned and you're all that much better equiped on the next try. Or the next try....or the next. :lol:

Seriously, your top came out awesome! Great photo too!

Looking forward to more, Cap'n 'ook! :lol:

Cheers...no, I mean, Arggh! :wink:

Jim

larrymax

Hello gang.

Happy to report I had a WONDERFUL few hours this morning to work on Cleo. Got the next main mast section done. I'm going to try to finish off the main mast this afternoon/evening. Here's a couple of progress pics.

mainmast01.jpg
mainmast02.jpg

OK...back to building!

Max
Captain, HMS Cleopatra

jrts

Fantastic stuff, a true work of art

Just when you think it can't get better, it does :shock:
I take with the "back to building" bit at the end we will have more later :lol:

I look forward to each and every up date

Rob