To Build A Ship: HMS Cleopatra

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi Max

Wow, great stuff time very well spent. The plank ideas great and has been filed away into my grey stuff for when I need it.

We will have to think of a way to get you grounded again to get more of the great ship :lol:

Looking for more

Regards

Rob

Renaud

Feb 12, 2004
Lille, northern France
planking

I have done it already, I am interested in the way how to shape round hulls with flat paper: I think you could get a better result with successive layers glued one onto the other, and each step, you grind with a file, people usually use for metal (not the one for wood) before you go further. It gives a result far above ( yes, that's true !!! ) the one you got.
On the contrary, I am amazed at you attempt, for people don't worry usually about that problem. The way you did is close to the real construction, and moreover, not difficult to achieve.
For that, I used water based glue, the white one, which has the advantage of making the paper flexible.

larrymax

Jan 17, 2004
Corona, CA
home.aaris.net
thanks for the tip Renaud. You should post some pictures of your models. I'd really like to see the hulls you produce with your method.

Here's a shot of the inside of Boat #2. I've been busy detailing it a little more that called out in the kit! (Somebody HELP ME! I CAN'T STOP!). It still needs more oars, and maybe a mast or two with rolled sails. I don't know.

boatinside2.jpg

Just think! Only 3 more to go! And they're the big ones! Looks like I'm going to need to go back and work on Boat 1 a bit more to bring it up to this level.

Max
Captain, HMS Cleopatra
Paper Navy of the Bear Flag Republic

cardfan

Jan 17, 2004
Alamo, CA
Max,

Looks fantastic! I tried one of the boats on Oregon... Next attempt will be better. Keep up the great work.

Glen
Captain, USS Oregon BB 3

(Hope you don't mind.)

Ajax

Apr 20, 2004
The boats look excellent, Larry! :D Your decision to add scrathbuilt planking has turned out brilliantly!

AJ

Renaud

Feb 12, 2004
Lille, northern France
dealing with curved shapes

I have not a digital camera nor a scanner so I cannot post anything for now.
About my method, I used another one on building a model of the turrets of the SMS Beowulf from HMV, five times bigger, that is enlarged at 1/50 (!). I used a 1 mm thick paper, a cheap one, whose colour is light brown/yellow, and a little fluffy . This cheap stuff may be curved such as rubber (not so much, but very different from high quality paper), and sanded as if it were wood. Moreover, seams between two parts are invisible. An you may fill up gaps with a mixture of white glue and the paper powder you get when sanding a sheet. Of course, my twin turrets were at 1/50, but the result is amazing. This method seems to me at midway between paper craft and woodcraft.

larrymax

Jan 17, 2004
Corona, CA
home.aaris.net
OK Gang. Boat 2, Completed! I'll tie her down later, when the other boats are finished and in place.

boat2done.jpg

boat2done2.jpg

Back to building! On to boat 3!

Max
Captain, HMS Cleopatra

bwallaw

Nov 26, 2005
Seattle, WA
Very Cool!

It is obviously a lot of work, but the result is quite impressive! Can't wait to find an excuse to try it out. I don't think my castle needs life boats, though.

I am also glad to see the Cleo back in action!

Regards,

Ajax

Apr 20, 2004
Wow, great job on Boat 2! The finished result is very impressive with the mast, sail, and wood colored oars.

AJ

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
Oh, my! :shock:
So very well done, Max! :D
I love the effect of the furled sails and the oars came out spectactular at this scale!
Now, wasn't the end result worth the time to plank them in a manner similar to actual practice? I wonder why kit designers tend to force the curves at the turn of the bilges when it is just a little more work but with a far superior result if you replicate the actual planking method.
Your boat is a gem in itself!!
Absolutely fantastic work, Max!! :D
Jim

larrymax

Jan 17, 2004
Corona, CA
home.aaris.net
Thanks for all then nice words, guys!

As to the rolled sail! I may need to re-roll it! I happened to be in the (ahem!) "Library" here at work yesterday when I came across a much better material for the sail! Right now, it's made from tissue paper (like used for wrapping gifts)...it's OK, but it's a bit stiff. The "new" material....comes in Looooooonnnnngggg rolls and is just the right consistancy for scale sails! We'll see! I "borrowed" a couple of feet of it to give it a try.....and, hey, if it doesn't work out....I can ALWAYS recycle it for ANOTHER purpose! :shock:

hehehe!
Max

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
Max, isn't amazing how we come up with these ideas in the most unexpected, uh, locations? :lol:

As to the packing tissue, it may be a bit stiff, but if you spray it with a bit of water using a atomizer it will sag a bit and then dry into whatever position you gently prod it into...just be careful when handling when wet. You can even put a bit of watercolor into the atomizer water and give it a little tint.

I have done this with wooden ship models and it is surprising how well it resembles sails when tinted and dried. Just don't over do the spray, tinting and re-handling or you might end up with a clump of wet, tinted pulp. Of course, you also need to be careful if the mast/yard is also made of paper; you don't want it to be under any strain because the wetting could then cause it to warp unless the spar is supported by something like wire or a dowel in it's core.

The "piano paper" tends to be too fuzzy and soft, and prone to breakdown when wetted even when you are not using the REALLY soft rolls, which have patterns and other things that cause problems, but maybe the stiffer stuff might react differently, I haven't gone that route, so to speak. :wink:
Jim