To Build A Ship: HMS Cleopatra

larrymax

Originally Posted by Maurice
Sat Feb 14, 2004 2:42 pm

Max

To add a little, if you look at the hull elevation and cutaway on the Trincomalee site you will see the same layout. Also that it is in effect on a straight line from the hawsholes forward to the section of the windlass below the quarterdeck.
And
http://www.hms-victory.com/anchorsandcables.htm
tells the how of it all in the case of the Victory.

Maurice

larrymax

Originally Posted by JRSeese
Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:23 am

At once inspirational and eternally humbling.
I for one will have a void in my heart when this ship is complete!

larrymax

Origninally Posted
Mon Feb 16, 2004 6:08 pm

Good Morning All,

Just a couple of shots of the progress on the bulwark caps this moring. The caps of the aft upper deck had white "location markers" on them for the handrail supports and more bits, but I've colored over all of them to insure not little white areas peak out that have to be cleaned up later. I've just marked the spots where they go with a small pencil dot instead.

rail4.jpg
rail5.jpg

Have a great day!

Max
Captain, HMS Cleopatra
Paper Navy of the Bear Flag Republic

larrymax

Ahoy...! All hands on deck! This is your Captain speaking! It's Saturday evening March 13. We're still working on getting the rest of the old posts put back, but I thought I'd go ahead and post a progress report from the work (YES, I was actually able to spend some time with Cleo today!) I accomplished this afternoon!

aftrails01.jpg

I've finished the aft bulwark caps, including the small vertical trim pieces that frame out each of the gun ports on the aft deck. Then I added all the little posts to the cap. Instead of cutting out 3 or 4 layers and assembling them for each post, I chose to use a thin strip of illustration board, cut to length and colored black. Seems to be a bit stiffer. The posts on either side of each gun port are about 40% taller than the rest of the posts and these support the aft rail. Had to be careful in placing these as they decrease in height slightly as the approach the aft transome, until they meet the transome rail at the same height. I decided to double the thickness of each of the rail pieces, as a single thickness just didn't seem to be substantial enough.

Well, I have to run...never a dull moment around here! Hope to have the old posts re-established soon. Thanks for your patience and encouragement!

Max
Captain, HMS Cleopatra (She Rides Again!)

larrymax

Originally Posted by JKrauzulis
Sat Mar 13, 2004 10:52 pm

Cleo...it's been so long since we last saw ya! How BEE-autiful you are looking, Madam!

Seriously, Max, she is looking so very good! And quite a bit done from where we left off, as I recall.

Doing a bit more alteration from the kit parts? By the way, what is this "illustration board" you and Ron have referred to? Where do you get it, and what brand, if any, are you using. Just wondering if I can get it from Staples, Office Max or something similar. Tried to do a search on it earlier today and came up with no matches. Ron said his board was slightly over 1 mm but when the kit former templates were attached they fit the notches for the egg crate framing just right.

Hope you are not having too much trouble putting the earlier posts together.

Thanks for the wonderful updated photo!
And many thanks for working on putting the earlier posts back on line. Your labors are, indeed, very much appreciated by the rest of the crew!
Jim

larrymax

Originally Posted By JRSeese
Sat, Mar 13, 2005

So glad to have Cleo back!

I second the motion to reveal the secret source of this "illustration board." The wife and I went shopping yesterday, I was on a quest for heavy cardstock. Couldn't find anything heavier than poster board at Michael's crafts, Jo Ann fabrics, a teacher's store, and two hobby stores.

Thanks to Rickstef, my desk calendar is about to be history. Thinking of heading to my local comick shoppe per Ron's advice. May have to nick some legal pads from work...

Josh

larrymax

Originally Posted by Peter H.
Sat Mar 13, 2004 9:34 pm

Ooooww yummy, many thanks Larry for the update. Cleo is looking beautiful.

larrymax

Hey gang. As to the question about the "Illustration Board". What I have been using is "Crescent No. 200 Hot Press Illustration Board". The "Hot Pressed" part means the board is rolled through heated rollers when it is being pressed...this give the drawing surface a very smooth surface...as opposed to "cold pressed" which will result in a textured, rougher surface...not very suitable for model making....but just fine for drawing :) ) This can be found in most Aaron Bros Art Marts or finer art supply stores. Regretablly, it is probably NOT available a shops like Michaels or JoAnns as these are more "general interest" stores and can't afford to keep a supply of this higher end artist board in stock. That being said, you MIGHT ask the folks in the Framing Department of Michael's...they MAY know what it is and have some that they will sell you.

Well, I'm going to begin posting the old thread back here, so things may get a little confusing for a bit, missing images, posts out of order, that sort of thing....but if you'll just hang in there with me, we'll try and get everything sorted out shorly, OK. A big thanks to Jim K. and Maurice for their forethought in saving versions of the thread and forwarding their files to me. I'm going to start posting from APPROXIMATELY where the old site thread left off......hang in there with me...and if you see me mucking something up too badly, please, let me know so I can fix it!

Max
Captain and fighting my way out of the fog
HMS Cleopatra

Gil

Hi All,

Another source is by Strathmore, 500 Series Illustrator Board (240-13) 22" x 30". Thickness was measured at 0.043 inches or 1.10 mm. Michaels carries this but wants around $7.00 US for a sinlge sheet.

Best regards, Gil

Jim Krauzlis

Well, I took the bait and bought the Fly Constitution...
It is easily the biggest card model I will have tried to date. :shock:
Thanks to Max and the others on this forum, though, I feel pretty good about starting her...well, after I finish my Mexico Victory and the smaller scaled Constitution by Wilhelmshavener. Can't have too many things going at once. :roll:
Going through the sheets I sort of question the color scheme, and there seems to be some details I don't recall seeing before. When I get the chance I will try to detail some of them and maybe someone can give me an idea of what they are about. :?
Next step is to get my hands on some of the illustration board.... :)
Jim

Jim Krauzlis

Thanks, Maurice!
I recall reading that review a while back. NOW I know what he means about the color scheme. :shock:
On top of that, there are some fittings on the quarterdeck that I don't know why they are there, never seen them before. Almost looks like a small wheel or helm??? :?
Anyway, as I get more into the kit I will be sure to get you all involved in my confusion...confusion loves company :p
Jim

Jim Krauzlis

Max,
How is our favorite girl coming along? Cleo, of course!
I am in the midst of getting my computer repaired, not sure what the problem is, but meanwhile I am using my wife's computer to keep in touch.
Hope all is well in the Max Shipyard.
Jim

larrymax

Hello again everybody! I'm really sorry for not posting for so long. We're remodeling here at the Maxfield Shipyard and it just sucks up sooooo much of my spare time that there's not much time (or energy) to build on Cleo when I'm finished! I DID make myself get up EXTRA early this morning to squeeze in a couple of hours on Cleo!

I finished applying the aft side and transome decoration panels. The fit was better than the forward panels...all the cutouts for the gunports lined up perfectly....only needed to trim about 1/32" from the bottom of the pieces so they would fit snugly between the brown strips above and below the decroated area. The transome pieces fit PERFECTLY! Finally, I used my Tombow markers to color in the two round port holes in the transome, and that's, that!

aft-decoration.jpg
aft-decoration-3.jpg

I have some pretty exciting news....I've been in contact with Jim Nunn, a lurker, here! hehehe!, and a member of the Ship Modelers Association (SMA) and have been encouraged to display Cleo at the Wester Ship Model Conference & Exhibit on board the Queen Mary at the end of April!

..."David Okamura and myself our members of the Ship Modelers Association which is a highly respected group of wood benders and I can tell you that the SMA would love to see your model, maybe I could talk you in to displaying the model at our WESTERN SHIP MODEL CONFERENCE & EXHIBIT ( http://www.ship-modelers-assn.org/c00main.htm ) on the Queen Mary, you would receive a nice memento from the SMA for showing the model, and the model does not have to be finished."...

Good thing it doesn't have to be finished, eh! :lol: I'm honored and excited, but a little embarrassed! You should SEE the quality of the models these guys make! They are consumate PROFESSIONALS down to the tiniest detail! Oh well, it might be fun to show off what can be done with PAPER, eh! Anyway, this may be the encouragement I need to get some more hours in on Cleo so she can make a good showing! I'm probably going to take her to the IPMS meeting locally (thanks for the invite, Jim!) and maybe get some pointers from David and Jim!

Well, that's all for this morning...I have to go replace a couple of chandeliers now! must remember to turn power off BEFORE playing with wires!!! Sheesh!

Max
Captain, HMS Cleopatra

Jim Krauzlis

Max:
If you can, jump at the chance and display your work with justified pride! She is truly turning out very well, and will be received so very well by the modelers at the Conference, that I am almost certain of.

I'm glad you posted these photos, I was beginning to have the shakes not seeing Cleo is such a while. What was the reason, something about having a personal life or words to that effect? :?

Seriously, you've done quite a bit since the last photos, and those decorations really add alot to her finished appearance.

Thanks for the update, and I trust you will let us all know whether you go to the conference and, if so, hope you can take some photos of some of David's work, and the other talented folk on the left coast, and share them with us. Pretty please?? :lol:
Jim

J

Jim Nunn

This evening Larry brought his HMS Cleopatra to our Northrop IPMS meeting for us to admire. I can only tell you that the photos do not do justice to the model. I would not compare it to a plastic model it is more in the league of a wood model the Cleopatra is just superb.

Jim Krauzlis

Jim, you lucky dog!
All we get are photos, which are wonderful, don't get me wrong, but, sure, seeing her in person is probably a whole lot better! :shock:

Max, how's she coming along? Have you figured out how the quarterdeck gun ports are to be set up? What I mean to say, it seems the sides of the gun ports are formed by the rail stanchions, but is there any gun port sill, or is that already formed by the bulwark. I just KNOW I'm not being clear enough, but maybe you can give us a closeup shot or two of the quarterdeck gunports.
She is coming along so fine.... :D
Hope you get a chance to post some more photos....
Jim

larrymax

Well, to BOTH of you Jims, Thank You! I'm glad everybody is enjoying Cleo as much as I am.
What an honor last night to meet and speak with some of the Masters of our craft at the IPMS meeting! Jim Nunn, David Okamura, Peter Crow, and Dan from Delta 7 Studios. It was sooooo cool to see some of the Beta builds and new projects these guys are working on! I'd love to tell you ALL about them, but they made me swear an oath on the life of Marty's Kittens that I wouldn't spill the beans! So, I won't tell!....but, if you were smart, you'ld get on over to the Delta 7 site (http://www.delta7studios.com/index.htm) and order up the Historic 1775 series! nuff said! Awesome stuff! I also got to see some of the COOLEST little "Puppet" models that came from ABC Magazine! What a completely different set of models! WAAYYY Cool. I might have to bite the bullet and spend the $100 for a subscription if that's the calliber of models that come in the magazine!
David Okamura brought in his Queen Mary to show and tell! Well, actually, he brought in two of them! The first one we watched as he skillfully took a pocket knife to it and tore a gaping hole into the hull! I think he may have been confusing her with the Titanic, but I'm not sure!.... :D Actually, he was sharing the issue of bad design and how it messed up his first attempt at the Queen Mary....the second model is his modification to her supporting structure that will keep the model straight and flat! It's pretty cool to realize the pro's have the same issues with design and building problems that the rest of us do. I'm really looking forward to seeing the Queen Mary reborn at the SMA Convention at the end of the month! (David, if you're reading this.....GET BACK TO WORK! YOU DON'T HAVE TIME TO SIT IN FRONT OF A COMPUTER! BUILD, BUILD, BUILD!!! :p
Thanks again for the invite Jim! I had a wonderful (if brief!) time at the meeting and I will be coming back for more!

Jim, as to Cleos Quarter Deck Gun Ports:
aft-deck-gunports.jpg

You're absolutely right, they are positioned between the rail posts. As the Bulwark rises as it approaches the transome, the Gun Ports cut deeper into it, so, they are VERY shallow towards mid-ships and about half as deep as a full gun port at the very aft end of the ship. Hope the pic helps out.

Well, that's all for this morning. I have to go work on a mural for a while now. Be back with you all in a while. Have a great afternoon!

Max
Captain, HMS Cleopatra

Jim Krauzlis

Max, thanks for the last pics, they certainly showed what I thought I saw from a better perspective. I can imagine how difficult dealing with the gradual rise must have been. :shock:
You make it all seem so effortless, you rascal! :lol:
Jim