tl-01 problems

Discussion in 'RC General & Getting Started' started by catch_my_drift, Dec 25, 2004.

1. well i got a super rooster in october and i installed a le mans sports 360pt motor in.. about 2 weeks after that i started hearing grinding sounds from my car and i thought it was just the motor...turns out not....i ran it yesterday and it got slow...really slow....then the grinding sound was louder than before.i brought it home and opened it up.. the damn pinion gears are eaten up.also one of the plastic gears...idk waht to do now...can u guys help me....the only replacement part i can get is the pinion gear, but its not a 19 tooth..will a 20 tooth work?
  2. SpArKeY_STi

SpArKeY_STi Guest

as long as you can adjust the motor mounting position (as in slide it back and forth on a pivital axis) with in the motor mount, any tooth pinion will work.
  3. ARC-Ltd

ARC-Ltd Guest

I had the same problem.
    Yes a 20 t will work, but your problem will happen again- when i got a faster motor it blew my gearbox to shreds withing a few weeks, replacement of the gear parts fixed the problem for another 2 weeks.
    You need to get a speed tuned gear set as the plastic they make thos out of is harder and seemed to not wear ou in 2 weeks as mine did.....
  4. SpArKeY_STi

SpArKeY_STi Guest

I'd have to disagree. Plastic on plastic will melt gears, again and again, but metal on plastic will only really get melted and messed up if you dont properly set the mesh. I've ran a 20T motor on my TC3, then droped a 2 Turn on it, same gear, same mesh, just differnt motor. Havent had any problems. Stock gear's on the spur, and in the diff.

But with my Mini-T, i melted 5 gears due to them being plastic, then i got a metal pinon, and it fixed.

Just make sure your mesh is correct.
  5. ARC-Ltd

ARC-Ltd Guest

Aaaah yes sorry left that bit out- when i got the new gear set i also got a nice new metal pinion... (which the tamiya sales dude told me was made out of hardened plastic !)
  6. SpArKeY_STi

SpArKeY_STi Guest

If it was a Tamiya brand yes, its Aluminum Plastic compound mix that they use. But if its Robinson or any other brand, its all aluminum.