"Titanium" scaled Millenium Falcon

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by littlemodeler, Apr 4, 2008.

1. littlemodeler

littlemodeler Member

I was looking in the star wars section at Toys "r" us and i found a small millenium falcon for about $6-7. Well i thought to myself, what if i just build the thing and save myself some money? well heres the results...i'm having trouble with the gun turrets...if anyone has any tips for me for these turrets...please feell free to help me out...i'd hate to see strips of paper instead of tubes for this baby:D

Attached Files:

ARMORMAN Guest

have you tried regular paper or tissue paper?

Nice build, BTW
  3. littlemodeler

littlemodeler Member

True! lol i got so caught up with 65 lb cardstock that i forgot about lighter paper:p...i suck at rolling tubes lolwall1 anyways thanks armorman:mrgreen:!!
  4. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Looks great. don't know how you did it, but it looks great. The lil stuff drives me bats.:thumb:
  5. Soaring

Soaring Middle School Student

.....No way. NO WAY. NOOO WAAYYY. THat's paper? My gosh man, stop the madness! If you add turrets, you'll compare it to the store bought one and say, now which one was my papermodel again...In short terms, you did an excellent job. You used tweezers, huh? :)
  6. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

For tiny tubes, I cheat and use pieces of round tooth picks painted to match. Paper is made from wood, so it's not cheating a lot... ;)
  7. vulcan raven

vulcan raven New Member

Same with me..... It's driven me nuts to rolls those turret....So I used tooth picks too :p
  8. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

A long long time ago on a forum not too far away someone posted a way to make small diameter cylinders. I forget which forum and the poster and the exact method, but it consisted of a mixture of PVA and water, and tissue paper (like toilet tissue). You cut a rectangle of paper, soak it in the glue/water mixture for a short time (the tissue paper has a tendency to disintegrate if left in the glue/water mixture too long), then place the soaked paper on a cutting mat or other rubber-like mat. You then roll the paper on the mat using the palm(s) of your hand(s). You have a nice tight small diameter cylinder after it dries out. You can then cut to length and paint to match the color. Some sanding is also possible due to the stiffness that the glue imparts to the paper. I recall trying it out just to see what the results would be like and found that some nice small diameter cylinders were possible. I had no need for them, I just wanted to check out the method. :)
  9. Hot4Darmat

Hot4Darmat Member

Nice build! That is one teeny tiny model...and I appreciate your skill. At that scale, even round toothpicks are going to look like huge howitzers on that MF. Try to snip up a few bits of wire to length...like from a paper clip, insert them into a paper base, or sandwich them 2 at a time, and see how that looks (might need a spot of paint on the wire, but...). None of it is cheating the paper purist medium if you're happy with the result.
  10. littlemodeler

littlemodeler Member

thank you all for your comments and tips...i'm working on the turrets...reply to soaring...i did not use tweezers:p i'm in highschool so my fingers are still good to go for the tiny bits:D lol i showed this to some of my friends and they went nuts:p i'll have pics of the turrets soon:D
  11. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Thats freaking amazing! I couldnt build the regular sized one worth a darn. Can we get a bigger closeup so we can see the detail? :D
  12. rojo

rojo Member

For small cylinders I have another 'cheat'. I use the paper sticks commonly found on cotton swabs or lollipops. I make a lengthwise slit on the stick and carefully peel away the top layer of paper. You can now unroll the paper from the stick until you are left with a cylinder of the correct diameter. I usually coat the cylinder with thinned white glue to both seal down the edge and stiffen the cylinder. After dry, just cut the lengths you need.
  13. littlemodeler

littlemodeler Member

rojo...that just might do the trick...i'm trying different methods to see which one would look great...i'll be posting pics soon of the turrets being built and attached...stay tuned...also i was thinking of doing a whole collection of star wars titaniums...like the at at and star destroyer...possibly an x-wing and tie fighters...looks like i have a project on hand...a really teeeny tine one:wink::grin:
  14. shrike

shrike Guest

Cigarette rolling papers.
    Wrap a small piece around a wire mandrel and you can get tiny tubes. 0.5mm ID is almost trivial to roll.
  15. JanoNath

JanoNath New Member

Awesome model!!! Will you make it available for download when you have it all worked out.
  16. Simmo

Simmo An Older Junior Member

17. littlemodeler

littlemodeler Member

Reply to janonath...i downloaded it from the site mentioned by Simmo and i rescaled it to three times smaller than its original size...ok i checked out to see which method would do the trick and i found out that if you print the part on 20 lb paper, wet the back, and rolled the tube inbetween my fingers, i can make a nice small diameter tube...i'll be posting pics tonight so you guys + girls can see the result...untill next time!:D
  18. littlemodeler

littlemodeler Member

ok i have the bottom gun turrets done!!! and if you guys are asking...yes, thats a part of the star destroyer bridge. i am thinking of doing a diorama which includes the Falcon and only a part of the bridge. until next time:D

Attached Files:

19. littlemodeler

littlemodeler Member

oops the other pic didn't get resized well. also i the bottom turrets didn't come out as well as i expected, hope the upper ones will come out better.

Attached Files:

20. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Excellent detail for something so small, good work!:thumb: