Titanic model on eBay - hurry!

Bengt F

Nov 26, 2005
The Branson Titanic Museum

bugman,

Thank you for that interesting first-hand report from The Branson Museum.
It´s among the top entries on my list of sights to see, if I ever get to that part of the US. I really would like to see the Davie-Garner Titanic model. There is so much dedicated workmanship invested into it and the detailing is so beautiful.

¡Hola, Gerardo, compadre mio!
Thanks for the kind words. I feel really fortunate to have received a copy of the big paper model of the Titanic. It will, however, require a lot of initial work of scanning and color-rendering, before I get it where I want it for a build. I will build it some day, though, but I need time to think and plan how I should approach such a grand project. I think I will need an A3+ scanner. And if I scan it, there is always a possibility of re-scaling . . .
First, I am going to complete the little Titanic jewel from Ralph Currell. I have got the interior structure almost finished and the sea background is sprayed with a glossy fixative, to make it look more like the blue Atlantic.

At the moment, though, I have another interesting airplane project going - it´s the big Junkers G.38 Lufthansa airliner from 1929. Here is a link to that thread: http://forum.zealot.com/t153121/

chapuzas100,
Congtatulations on your decision - I am convinced that you wot be disappointed. I think it´s worth every penny.
There are no build pictures of it as yet anywhere on the web, it´s that new. I hope the designer will post some pictures of the prototype real soon.

All the best,
Bengt :wave:

Bengt F

Nov 26, 2005
Taschen Titanic Model Book

Good eye smyfe,

The two opening bids are still very low - three more days to go - who knows? This might be yet another bargain for a real card model classic. The Taschen model is simple and straightforward but very impressive in it´s appearance - 1 meter 35 centimetersin length.

To those who are interested - go for it! This is a must-have.

All the best,
Bengt :thumb:

Bengt F

Nov 26, 2005
Fly Model-Gomix Titanic Model Being Built! The First One?

Hi all,

Over at orur sister forum Karonbau.de in Germany, model builder Stephan Hintze has begun building the immense full hull of the new Fly Model Titanic. It looks great - have a look at his report: http://www.kartonbau.de/wbb2/thread.php?threadid=14032

This will be an interesting thread to follow in the coming months . . .

All the best,

stephan hintze

Oct 26, 2007
Villány - Hungary
Thank´s for invitation

Dear gents,

i´d like to thank Bengt Fréden for his invitation to you forum. Just call me Stephan (or Steve).

Trying out my best english (sometimes it may be funny for you - or it hurts :mrgreen:), hopefully you´ll understand me, even if i try to write from specific things on ships i even don´t know in german. But i try to learn them, in both languages ...

The FlyModel Titanic is a really fantastic model with a lot of new things. Until now i enjoy it very much.

If you´d like to know something about the model ask me, but Fredén (hope this is ok??) has also already this great print.

Best wishes, Stephan

Best wishes, Stephan

Bengt F

Nov 26, 2005
Welcome to The Forum!

Hallo Stephan,
Herzlich willkommen!

Welcome to the Cardmodels.net Forum. We are very glad to have you here - I hope you will like it here.
Your English is excellent, by the way. Thank you for offering to respond to questions on the Titanic by Fly Model - I am sure the members (like John John, for example) will have something to ask.

I am up to my ears in another project at the moment but I will follow your work (the very first build of the Fly Model Titanic?) closely. The best of luck!
All the best,

rlwhitt

Aug 25, 2006
Clemmons, NC, USA
Welcome! I've seen the start of your thread on Kartonbau and it's going to be something else! How big will it be? It must be quite large, judging from the price! (~ $48 US)

Rick

Bengt F

Nov 26, 2005
Fly Model 1:200 RMS Titanic Model; The Hull 'Plating' Has begun

Hi all,

I´d recommend that you take a look at Stephan´s Gomix/Fly Model Titanic build thread over at Kartonbau.de again - he has now begun covering the hull frame up with the red borttom 'steel plating' parts. It is a pleasure to be able to view his precise cutting work around the propeller and rudder in the stern area: http://kartonbau.de/wbb2/thread.php?threadid=14032&threadview=0&hilight=&hilightuser=0&page=1

Thank you, Stephan, for your educational photos and explanatory text - I am sure it will guide those uf us who will follow in building this big and demanding model.

All the best,

stephan hintze

Oct 26, 2007
Villány - Hungary
Hi Bengt,

this is my 4th ship model anmd my 6th model since i started last year again with card board modeling. 1 ship is finnished, 3 in progress.

So I try to learn a lot and i have to ... if you have som hints please post them!

Good to know that I´m working at two places, so at least I have always 2 models parallel in progress ...

I´ll start to report in kartonbau also in english, a good practice for me and less work than posting in two (or three, because i´m also member of an hungarian forum) forum. Hope this will be ok for everyone.

best wishes, Stephan

Feb 26, 2006
Rotterdam, Holland
I started (in another thread ) something about swapping kits, I have this one, and I'm willing to swap it for a highly detailed plane, Halinski, GPM, Orlik... Specialy looking for a out of print Hobby-model X31, or a GPM B29 and a Halinski Spitfire, or someting like that...

Attachments

• DSC03614.jpg
    DSC03614.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 182

Bengt F

Nov 26, 2005
Taschen 1:200 Titanic Model Book

Great, Billy,

We´re back to where we started this thread! That is a generous offer, indeed. Anyone want to swap for this amazing Titanic model?

NYC Irish

Apr 26, 2004
Cork Ireland

Hello Bengt and Everyone else

Im back from Florida, Pity my luggage isn't, I hope it turns up or that I at least get a postcard from it where ever it turns up :(

but anyway, The titanic kit was at home waiting for me and I got the railings too, great service from GPM.pl.

I have to admit that I am slightly disapointed in the kit. They definetly put a lot, I mean a lot of work into it, thousands of piece's, lots of thought to the internal structure to avoid sagging and plenty of drawn details in each piece but im really disapointed in the colours they chose...Im ok with the decking being darker that I think was really on the Titanic (its as usual a debate...) but the colour of the Funnels is disturbing and the lower hull is just disgusting...I'm really surprised by the bad selections for colour....

Thinking now I just realised something "Why is the Taschen Titanic a better coloured model???????" arrgggeggegegehhhhhh

I have a thousand other things to be built (who here doesnt eh?) so unfortunately I will not be in any rush to kick it off...maybe as we get closer to 2012 I will but...I will see what comes out between now and then or how much my scanning and editing skills improve, Ill sit back and admire those mad Germans at work....best of luck to them

John John

Bengt F

Nov 26, 2005
Laser-cut Railings for Fly Model Titanic

Hi John John,

Sorry about your lugagge - I hope it turns up real soon. Do you have any chance of tracing it? And did you have it marked with name, address, telephone numbers, e-mail, etc?

To some extent, I share your feelings about the print colors of the Fly model RMS Titanic. They have gone to so much trouble in designing the structure all the little details and one would expect that they had put a little more effort in researching the proper colors, for example through the TRMA web site.
The dark antifouling color of the hull below the waterline is much too pink and too light - it should be a less saturated, much darker rust-brown-red color, close to the anti-corrosion primer paint you normally use for metal outdoors.
The funnels are almost shocking orange - it should be the light, flat yellow White Star Line 'buff' color, of which there nowadays is a reasonable consensus.
The pinewood decks should be much lighter in color and the black hull a more neutral, less blue shade. The dividing yellow line, which also is bright orange, should be a light but quite saturated, bright yellow.
These colors can all be corrected or adjusted but it is of course a tremendous amount of extra work. The way I see it, though, is that I think it might be worth the extra effort because there is no Titanic card model in this large 1:200 scale to date, with this kind of superb detailing.
It beats even the 1:350 Minicraft Museum plastic model, which is regarded as the finest in it´s category.

I am currently investigating the Swedish market for a reasonably priced and good quality A3+ scanner, which is what you will need for the job.

Mad Germans? I think Stephan, who currently is the only model builder I know of to have started the Fly Model build, is actually of Hungarian origin. he is doing a marvellous job of the hull at the moment: http://kartonbau.de/wbb2/thread.php...ilight=Fly+Model+Titanic&hilightuser=0&page=3

I am very interested to know where you found the railings. I would greatly appreciate if you could provide me with a link to the GM page where I can order them? I must have missed them completely.
I have enlarged the laser-cut brass railings from the plastic Minicraft museum kit, which I plan to use as templates. However, if there are laser-cut railings in brass (or card) in this scale, that would greatly simlpify the whole process. There are a lot of railings on the Titanic and in this scale they really show. I wonder - could you post a picture of a part of the railings, please? Thanks.

All the best,

NYC Irish

Apr 26, 2004
Cork Ireland
Hello Again

I used the term Mad Germans in a nice way, they certainly go all out when they build stuff, I wish I had the time....

Do you think that Flymodel would pay attentin to a petition from us to recolour it.....Ive never seen something so insane.....

The railings are great, GPM - modele kartonowe but I hope I will use them somehow...

Here is a look at them.

Ok lets see what happens....

John John

Attachments

• DSC04216.jpg
    DSC04216.jpg
    276.6 KB · Views: 27
  • DSC04217.jpg
    DSC04217.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 27

Bengt F

Nov 26, 2005
Laser-cut Railings for Fly Model Titanic

Thanks a million, John John, for the photos!

If I ever get down to Cork again, I´ll buy you a couple of pints of Guinness!
They look really good - I must order a set from GM in Poland rightaway.

This is what my scan from the Minicraft model looks like (in reduced size) - I have thought about using it as a template:
Photo-etched-SMALL.jpg

And this important sign (in a very small scale) might come in really handy for the completed stern of the model:
TripleScrewNOTICEsternrailingleft.jpg

All the best,

Bengt F

Nov 26, 2005
White Star Line 'Buff' Funnel Color

John John,

I have now ordered the complete set of laser-cut card railings for the Fly Model Titanic(along with a set of laser-cut formers for my new Modelik 1:33 Fokker Dr. I) from GPM.pl. Thanks for the tip.

Here is, btw, the only existing color photograph of the White Star Line 'Buff' funnel color - the White Star ship is the 'Georgic' in 1954:

The-Georgic-in-1954-Whit.jpg

NYC Irish

Apr 26, 2004
Cork Ireland

Hey Bengt

If using the Minicraft PE set for a template, what would you do from there? keep it as PE or laser cut card? How would you edit it and keep sharpness?

John John