Titanic model on eBay - hurry!

NSCXP2005

Mar 8, 2007
John John,

That is indeed good news. A full hull - at 1:200 scale? That is just as big as the Taschen book model - 1.38 meters in length! And with photo-etched railings, just like the plastic models . . . Wow!
I guess it would look something like the Betexa 1:450 scale model, only considerably larger:
Link to Betexa ZS in the Czech Republic: Betexa ZS s.r.o.

TitanicBetexa.cz135scalefullhull.gif
Wilh.havenerModellTitanic1250scale.jpg

The best and most detailed Titanic card model so far I believe is the one from Wilelmshavener Modellbaubogen, at 1:250 scale (above), although it is a waterline model (like the one from JSC, at 1:400 scale). It is therefore slightly smaller than the Taschen and new Gomix/Fly Model kits.
The currently largest and most accurate, complete, plastic model kit, by the way, is the Minicraft 'Museum' Kit at 1:350 scale, which also has photo-etched brass railings.

I, too, look forward to this new big model - it would be nice with a full hull model in 1:200 scale.
Just think if the many detailing possibilities at that scale - it could take years to complete . . .

Thanks a million for the tip!
Best,
Bengt :wave:
Hi Mate,

Which one is the best to get, the one above or TASCHEN titanic?
I would love to make this but don't know which one to get

Thank you for your time

NSCXP2005

NYC Irish

Apr 26, 2004
Cork Ireland
Bengt, where is that 18 foot model nowadays?

Yeah the colours on the Gomix look like they will require some editing...pity as the do seem to have put a lot of effort into it....

Id go for the Taschen Titanic...I built one 20 years ago...wow..20 years ago....at the time I wasnt even the 53 inches tall that the model is....The taschen is a fairly blunt huge model with plenty of options to upgrade etc...

John John

Bengt F

Nov 26, 2005
TASCHEN or GOMIX/Fly Model Titanic?

Hi NSCX . . ,

Which one are you referring to? The TASCHEN book 1:200 scale model is a waterline model (135 cm in length), the Betexa.cz 1:450 scale model is a smaller 'full-hull' model (62 cm in length) and the new GOMIX-Fly Model is also a 'full-hull' model (the biggest in card so far, at 138,5 cm in length).

So, if I were to choose a 'full-hull' version out of the two current ones, I´d pick the new GOMIX model, because of it´s apparent accuracy and marvellous detailing (let alone that you´d have to adjust some of the colors).
Out of the waterline models, it would be more difficult to make a pick. There are at least two more of the same type, apart from the TASCHEN book model: The 1:400 scale JSC model and the 1:250 scale Wilhelmshavener Modellbaubogen/Möve model. The Wilhelmshavener model is the one on the right in your post above - it seems to me to be a very detailed and accurate model, from what I have seen so far of photos of completed models ('airbob' has built a very nice one).
There is a downloadable 'Modellportrait Nr. 35' on Kartonbau.de, with a lot of very fine photos in it. This waterline model is slightly smaller (107 cm) than the TASCHEN or GOMIX (again, 'full hull') 1:200 models, but I think this is the one I would pick if I were to choose a waterline model.
Check out the link to the PDF below:

Best,
Bengt :thumb:

John John,

Ah, the Peter Davies-Garner 18 footer . . . what a model. I don´t really know where it is in the US at the moment. I think it was originally built for the Titanic Exhibition in Orlando, Florida, but if I understand it right it is now on display at the Branson 'Strip' Titanic Museum. I guess it must be the same model.

All the best,

The PDF 'Modellportrait Nr.36' 12/2004 has the file name 'PMP 036' and here is the link to the download page: http://kartonbau.de/wbb2/filebase.php?lim=60&cat=1 - it´s the SIXTH model from the top of the page. You´ve got to see this one!

Bengt F

Nov 26, 2005
GOMIX/Fly Model 'RMS Titanic' Life Boats and Davits

Sure thing, John John,

These details are incredibly detailed. Below are scans of a part of the instruction sheet with the davit assembly (where a funnel assembly can also be seen) and one of the parts pages with the life boats - you can also spot some of the deck chairs and flags. The life boats are printed on a slightly thinner paper, which is very considerate of the publisher.
Due to the model book´s format (424 x 300 mm) and the limitations of my small A4 size scanner, I can only show small portions:

Instruction sheet:
GOMIX-davit-instr.jpg

Parts page:
GOMIX-life-boat-parts.jpg

All the best,

Bengt F

Nov 26, 2005
Peter Davies-Garner´s 18 Foot 'RMS Titanic' Model

John John,

I found this photo from the Branson Strip Museum Exhibition, where it seems Peter Davies-Garner´s big model is now on display:

Peter-D-G.jpg

The display table almost looks like something from an Egyptian tomb. By the way, I think that perhaps the bottom antifouling color on this model is a bit too bright and too red, if you compare it to the color recommendations on the TRMA site: http://titanic-model.com/articles/p...AGE_Paint Reference Main Page.htm#antifouling

Best,

Bengt F

Nov 26, 2005
Peter Davies-Garner´s 18 Foot 'RMS Titanic' Model

Hi again, John John,

This photo shows the 18' model on display at the Titanic Exhibition in Orlando, Florida, where I believe it was presented to the Titanic Historical Society:

Display-in-Orlando-Florida.jpg

Best,

NYC Irish

Apr 26, 2004
Cork Ireland
Hey Bengt
Im at work now and the photo's are not coming through so Ill thank you in advance without seeing them, Im in Fl in 2 weeks, I have the Garner book and would love to see the built model itself, Ill have some time tonight to see if its actually in FL at the moment.

I have a friend going to PL soon for a week or so, He will hopefully pick the kit up..Im really looking forward to it. I often actually have breakfast at a Bagel Bar that is right across the road from the former White Star Line Offices in Cobh, Co. Cork which was Queenstown in 1912, the final departure point of many passengers. There was a fine Titanic themed restaurant in the building for a while but it closed a few years ago, pity

Ok thanks again Bengt, sorry for the trouble

John John

Bengt F

Nov 26, 2005
Cobh/Queenstown, Co. Cork, Ireland

Hello John John,

I envy you, going to the US. I sure hope you´ll get to see the Davies-Garner model. It must be fantastic to see it 'in-the-flesh', so to speak. Check out the Branson Strip Museum web page: http://www.titanicbranson.com/ I think you will find a picture of the model there somewhere. They even have a web cam, so you can check the weather before going or watch the life-size ship replica. The museum is situated in Branson, Missouri, by the way.

It´s a pity you cannot see the pictures in the post - I think you will marvel at the quality and amazing detailing when you do later on. I hope your friend can get you a copy when he travels to Poland. Poland is a beautiful country, by the way. I travelled through it on the PolRail ticket in 1980, just before the first uprising in the Gdansk docks, which years later eventually led to the fall of the Soviet Union and the Berlin Wall.

I had a fantastic vacation in Ireland in the summer of 2004, together with my dear wife Karina and my two lovely teenage daugthers. We hired a car and drove along the west coast, visiting Cobh and the Titanic Heritage Museum in the harbor. (The south and west of Ireland are my favourite areas on the Shamrock shores - I first went there in 1976 and 1979, on the InterRail train ticket). Apart from the obligatory Titanic postcards and posters, I also bought a fine black patent leather wallet there, which I treasure very much. I also recall that we had coffee, drinks and sandwiches in the restaurant there, which were all superb.

All the best,

NYC Irish

Apr 26, 2004
Cork Ireland
Hey Bengt

I submitted an order to GPM on Friday and was told order went through...expecting to be fwd'd to a pay site but that didnt happen, I was then expecting to recieve and invoice in email but still nothing...how did your order go?

Moduni has it for 74 Euro's but no laser rails...plus P&P...ouch...

John John

Bengt F

Nov 26, 2005
Ordering from GPM

Hey John John,

My order went very smooth - a page came up with order details and I filled it out, along with my credit card details, and I got a confirmation rightaway.
Next week I got the model in the mail - very neatly packed.

Best,

Bengt F

Nov 26, 2005
Additional GPM Ordering Info

Hey John John,

I had a look at my receipts and papers from the order and it appears I had to register as a member at their site to be able to order. I registered a login name and a password and got an e-mail with a confirmation, before I could order the model. Then it went fine.
I had completely forgotten about that.
That could perhaps be the glitch . . ?

Hope you´ll have better luck next time you try to order.

All the best,

Bengt F

Nov 26, 2005
Gpm

Hey,

Yes, try that - I´m sure it will work. Glad I could help - anytime.

NSCXP2005

Mar 8, 2007
do you have the site you are on about GPM and also where to get the model from off there site? would like to see the model

bugman72

Mar 31, 2005
I was actually at the Museum in Branson during the weekend of September 21st. I'm actually from Branson (graduated high school from BHS) and hadn't been back down in a few years. My wife and I are big Titanic fans (ship...not movie) and had to go into the Museum. Definitely a must-see. The Davies-Garner ship is truly amazing to see in person. One thing to note regarding the display case. According to the plaque on the display, the case is an exact replica of what major ship builders used to display scale models of their ships during the same period as Titanic's build. As for the museum, I wish you could take pictures inside, but alas you are not able. There are some 400 true artifacts from the ship (none brought up from the depths after her sinking) and many one-of-a-kind pieces. They have an exact replica of the 3rd Class quarters, a First-class room, as well as the Grand Staircase that you get to walk up and down. We spent almost 4 hours in the museum and felt like we rushed through it. If you're ever in that area, definitely go see it.