Titan II Question

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by modelincard, Jul 29, 2006.

1. modelincard

modelincard Member

I'd like to build a gemini Titan II rocket in 1:48 scale. I know of 2, Ton's 1:48 scale vehicle from LHVCC and the Delta 7 Studios version (1:96, I'd double the size of the rocket, and half the size of a 1:24 capsule from them). Which would build into a more detailed model? Or are there other Titan II rockets that I haven't mentioned?

2. McPeek

McPeek Member

I would go with Ton's 1:48 Gemini/Titan II. It builds into a real nice model.

I have seen another 1:96 Gemini/Titan II listed on U-Don's site. I'll go see if I can find it.

Edit:There is the Space Launch Report 1:96 Gemini/Titan II available through the Wayback Machine.

Click Here
  3. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

The Other Gemini/Titan II in U-don's site is also the Precision Paper Space Models kit (or the Space Launch report kit).

I recommend sir Ton's kit though
  4. modelincard

modelincard Member

But what's the file "pspbrwse.jbf" doing in the folder (unzipped) of Ton's Titan II? Is this a curropted file? What files should I have?
  5. McPeek

McPeek Member

modelincard wrote:
    I got the same thing when I downloaded the model. I have no idea what it is, but it is not necessary too build the model.

Edit:"pspbrwse.jbf"=Paint Shop Pro Browser Cache.

modelincard wrote:
    display stand

That should do it. There are also update files of the skin of the first and second stage. Thats your choice.

Hans Christian wrote:
    Look again. The one labled Gemini96 takes you too Jonathon Leslie's site and the one labled Gemini Titan takes you too the Space Launch Report version.
  6. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Gemini / Titan II Launcher 1:48 Scale

I´d go with Ton´s model.
    The Precision Paper Space Models 1:96 scale version is not so detailed.

Try this page, and select "NOW with better graphics!! (click here!!!)" for the latest version:

Space nerd Bengt 8)

PS. (edited in) Sorry - I forgot the link . . .
  7. Ponytail

Ponytail Member

the pspbrwse.jbf-file is a file from PaintShopPro. It contains the PSP-browser-data. No spam or any dirt whatever.
  8. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

Yup, that's what I'm talking about! :-D
  9. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

quite right. paint shop pro makes a little file nameed pspbrwse.jpf in every directory you visit, this way it can speed up its thumbnail display when you revisit the directory from within the program. I generally just zip up a directory so this file gets caught in the net so to speak.

I believe photoshop does something similiar only its cache thumbnail file is called

I've seen that file around quite a bit as well.

In general if you suspect a file as a potential dangerous one, just cut and paste the title name of the file into a search engine, you'll find out all about it.
  10. jaeike

jaeike Member

I noticed that on Ton's Titian, it separates, but on the Delta 7 Studios' it doesn't. Did the interstage section of the Titan II separate like the interstage of a Saturn V or did it stay attached to the first stage? I'm having a heck of a time finding any information regarding this.
  11. Niels

Niels Member

NULLMOON Member

i also building a titan 2 1/48 using tons titan and the delta gemmini the delta gemmi is the best by far but the delta titan is a bit poor and in small scale and lacks a detailed engine structure so i would go for tons titan with the delta Gemini capsule:grin:
  13. Having built both, I recommend ton's Rocket with Delta 7's capsule.
    Dan at Delta 7 lacks detail on the engine assembly that Ton capures quite nicely. The graphics on both will blow up quite nicely to a 1/24 and Dan's Gemini Capsules are already 1/24. You might want to consider using Ton's skirt for the Capsule as it is designed to fit into the rocket body.
  14. jaeike

jaeike Member

Interstage question

I noticed that on Ton's Titian, it separates, but on the Delta 7 Studios' it doesn't. Did the interstage section of the actual Titan II separate like the interstage of a Saturn V or did it stay attached to the first stage?:confused: I'm having a heck of a time finding any information regarding this.
  15. Delta's can separate with a simple ring around the inside of one or the other stages. As far as the inner stage, Ton's does not separate either but I put an inner collar on it so it would come apart anyway. I assumed there was no actual separation on the real thing. Ton is so detailed I can't believe he wouldn't have included it if it existed.
    Delta's Gemini does not have any means of attaching to the rocket assy. that is why I suggest using Ton'scollar on Delta's capsule
  16. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

Hello All,

As for the separate interstage, I believe the interstage was not separate from the first stage. From what I've read, the second stage engine actually ignited and thrusted away the first stage / interstage, thus the large vent holes around the interstage so that an over-pressure would not occur. In any case, that must have been very "exciting" during staging. The engineers probably finally realized how lucky they'd been that debris had never ricocheted back up to the second stage during any of the flights.

As I'm sure you're all aware, Apollo used the 8 large retro-rockets embedded in the engine fairings and the ullage motors on the interstage to ensure a clean separation when staging.

I marvel at all of the thinking, re-thinking, and implementation of various systems during our short 10-year (1955 - 1965) design period from Mercury to Apollo.

Steve Austin
  17. jaeike

jaeike Member

Thanks for the explanation! I built Ton's version a while ago and wondered about that. The vent holes makes a whole lot more sence now. :-D
  18. dhanners

dhanners Member

Not to pile on, but I would second the motion about using Delta 7 Studio's Gemini capsule with Ton's Titan. That's what I did with my 1/48th-scale build, photos of which are in my Gallery. I downsized the D7S 1/24th-scale Gemini to 1/48th scale, and I printed out the Titan on a metallic paper, as well as white cardstock, then cut up the sections to make a Titan.
  19. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

And Hanners' Gemini-Titan is exceptional. It's hard to tell that it's a model, let alone 1/48 scale. The detail is excellent. Definitely check out his gallery here on Cardmodels.
  20. jaeike

jaeike Member

I saw your posting at Starship Modeler. Very impressive and an inspiration for my own 1/48th scale project.

I've started with the capsule and like you, reduced the 1/24th Gemini. My added touch was to build up the interior, cut out the paper windows and replace them with plastic. You can't see much, but you can make out the two astronauts I placed inside.

Sorry about the blurryness, I'll have better photos later.