Tips using common items

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks' started by Woodie, Apr 24, 2001.

1. nachoman

nachoman Guest

I would think clay cat litter would swell when it gets wet...

2. Amrap1

Amrap1 Member

I thought about that too. From what I've read and done, you either water down cheap white glue or the way more expensive "Transparent Scenery Cement". After laying down another company's "ballast" you spray more of each adhesive on to seal and hold the ballast in place. Water should not be a problem....

But...I'm curios, so I'm going to test both "ballasts". (Actually doing it now!):wave:

Guess what? THEY BOTH CLUMP. sign1

SO..I most probably proved three things tonight. First seal your ballast with cheaper diluted "white glue", if you don't then defiantly don't spill water or any liquid on your ballast and ( In a Charlton Heston voice.....) "BLANK BLANK company's ballast is KITTY LITTER!"

3. Ruhde

Ruhde New Member

Toothpick Trees!!!!!!!!!!

you can use toothpics as dead trees if you soke them for a good amount of time then they just peel away to make trees:wave: :thumb:
  4. cidchase

cidchase Active Member

Thought maybe I was the only one tight enough to do this! :D :D
    There are a bunch of good ideas in this thread!! :thumb:
  5. Timbob

Timbob New Member

fine fabric "holiday" ribbon in 5 metre rolls looks an awful lot like HO scale window screen and already comes in a silvery grey colour
  6. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

Have you got a picture of this? Sounds interesting...!

7. Timbob

Timbob New Member

ho scale window screen

re picture,

No, sorry I don't as I am a bit of a neanderthal tech wise. Will have to bet #1 daughter to take digital photo and upload same. It is basically a soft, fine mesh ribbon that most of the shops, including Canadian Tire, have in stock around Christmas.

8. joesho

joesho Member

have pets? use a heki pine tree to get hair off of your layout,just drag it around. or toilet paper roads ,you know how toilet paper comes in sections?, kinda looks like roads around the us
  9. pickeral

pickeral New Member

Thanks to Patchwife for another excellant idea.(ballasting between or near the track)Got my mind thinking about using that clear flexible ,bout 1/8 inch diameter like they use in hospitals.Would be better I think for the curved track.
  10. pickeral

pickeral New Member

I make N scale hedge rows by dipping pipe cleaners in my landscape cement, then dipping again in the bag of green foilage,let dry,then dipping again in the landscape cement.Placed them on waxed paper till dry.Nice and flexible when dry.
  11. waredbear

waredbear Member

Transfer Track Plan to Plywood

I'm using XTrakCad to design a coffee table lay-out. You will find the complete thread in the HO section. I couldn't figure out how to transfer the lay-out design to the plywood. I remembered a tool in the fabic section that I thought would work. So I bought it and sure enough it does. I had to push hard and roll it back and forth to make the marks in the plywood. I was using wafer board so normal plywood might be easier. I then went back and traced the dotted lines in with a marker. TADA!!! The track lay-out is transferred to the plywood.

In His Service,:)
  12. Timbob

Timbob New Member

porch posts

fancy carved toothpicks from the dollar store make good porch posts for Victorian or 1900's homes.
  13. RobertInOntario

RobertInOntario Active Member

This is a good thread.

I need to make/recreate some handrails for an HO GP-9 -- does anyone have any suggestions for this?

My kitbashed GP-9 (see CN_GP9_IMG_4112 - Hobby Photo Gallery - still has some of its original handrails but I need to complete the rest. Would wire or toothpicks work (I think wire would be too soft and tootpicks too brittle)?

14. Dayton

Dayton New Member

outstanding thread!
  15. stary

stary Member

a straight pin is a perfect disposable "brush" for putting a dot of paint on a rivet; or putting a small dot of color on an item.
  16. repeters1

repeters1 Pete

Pill bottles and dental pics

Being of the "older" persuassion, I have to take a few different medicines and the little plastic containers (all different sizes, some as tall as 5" and some shorter and squatter) make great see through parts holders. These could also be made into different water/ chemical tanks etc.... Imagination can go a long way. I've been collecting these for years and have a pretty good supply of them. Also great for mixing paints in. Easy to clean or just paint them on the outside for..???? :thumb:
    Also, my dentist gives his used picks away for free. Just ask. And they come in different shapes and they are sterilized and sharpened when I get them. Can't beat the price.:twisted:
  17. roch

roch Member

Home made plaster : flour, warm water, glue

hair dryer : great for drying paint and plaster and glue in a hurry

I am playing around with it. If anyone esle has made and used it how well did it work?

18. Christopher62

Christopher62 Member

The one fellow's tip about aquarium gravel got me thinking... what's the difference between aquarium gravel and the ballast you would get from the LHS or Woodland Scenics of Scenic Express? Are they pretty much the same except for the price?
  19. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

I think maybe the tip was mine... I know I have used black aquarium gravel for coal.

The WS ballast isn't really rock - I have heard it is nut shells, but cannot verify this. The aquarium gravel appears to be painted or dyed rock or some rock-like compound. Unless it is sifted/sorted, much of it is oversized for HO scale ballast (and coal).

But it is cheap - hence the entry in the tips & tricks thread... ;) :D

20. Will_annand

Will_annand Active Member