Tips on posting

Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by silverw, Oct 12, 2004.

1. silverw

silverw Member

Hi all,

A recent computer crash forced me to temporarily use my old computer. A slower machine with a smaller, older (dimmer) monitor, I immediately noticed the different appearance of some familiar posts. I now had to scroll horizontally to view all of some large pictures, and worse, the large picture seems to force the text area to the same width, requiring scrolling back and forth to read the message part. I also noticed the longer time I had to wait for multiple pictures and long threads to load. I thought “This would be a real pain if I had to do this all the time” and then realized that a lot of viewers probably do!

So, for the next post that I did, I tried to keep these things in mind as I prepared it.
    All my pictures require editing to reduce to the 45k limit anyway, so it’s easy enough to do some other adjusting at the same time.
    I first limited picture width to a max of 600 pixels

A recent post I was doing was going to use 8 pictures. (600x400) Even after bringing each down to 45k, it is still a lot, in total. It occurred to me that in each picture, there was only a small area that actually had important visual information; the rest was really just background. So, by cutting and pasting the important parts of each picture into a new one, I was able to get everything that I needed into one 600x800 image. The important areas are still the same physical size as they were, but now everything in one image at 43k.

I also find it useful to add text and notes to the image, but that funny things happen to its appearance during compression. This seemed to be minimized by using the largest and simplest text settings. (stroke to min, or none; a solid white fill; no special effects unless necessary) If the white print is on a light area of the image, just add a little drop shadow to improve the visibility.

Just thought this might be of use or interest. :)

2. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

That is very good advice Bill. I'm on a dial-up connection at home (which is were I should be doing most of my watching, right...).

The page really is very wide most of the time, compared to standard pages. I have an extra wide 1152 pix screen on my laptop and it seems it is almost always filled up to capacity.

Will try to follow your example in a while, when I get the hang of making composite pictures and have used up the ones already prepared and waiting.

3. silverw

silverw Member

Hey Leif...

I would imagine that dial-up would only be the worst of what I was thinking.
    I think that the wide page is relative to the "picture of the week" width....(any truth to this Ron???)

I can set my old clunker to 1024 (SCREEN RESOLUTION) or something but then everything else is sooo............tiny :shock:

Oh, comes my crafty other half, who doesn't know anything about modeling, but sometimes looks over my sholder, and buys me really neat stuff, and says "sstugghhhr, sstugghhhr,sstugghhhr"

Ok, she went away, and I don't know how to spell that sound that she made
  4. Ron

Ron Member

Hi guys

You are all correct is some sense. A standard page is usually limited to
    800 pixels in width. This one runs at 1024. I had the misfortune just a short while back of losing my broadband connection for a couple of weeks
    and man it was a tough ride. The problem I have is that the forum portal is basically designed around 1024 as the width. I run at 1280 x 1024 and I wish I had more screen real estate. The other problem is that we as modelers love to look at detail in our photographs. Small images at 72 pixels per inch really don't do our models justice. The old 800 pixel width standard is there to accomodate older monitors, kiosk displays and for those that have difficulty seeing the smaller stuff.. Keeping stuff trim and neat helps the folks that are limited to dialup connections as well.

On the other hand, modern day computers usually come with monitors
    that are 17" and larger and with basic graphic cards that are capable of exceeding 1280x 1024 with ease. Broadband connections are exceeding 4mbit/sec (on a good day and the planets are all alligned)

So what do we do? I personally like to limit most of my forum post images to 400 pixels in width and keep it all to 72 pixels per inch resolution. Cropping the uneeded portions of images is an excellent solution as it definitely cuts down on size and bandwidth. The forum portal or 'main' page is stuck at 1024 pixels in width... it just happens to be the nature of the beast. Building a new one would require a ton of reworking as it is not just simple html. Every function on the main page is tied into a database.
    Every title is tied into a language file and every block and forum image is tied into a template file. These all work in conjunction with each other to make the site work. I can make banners smaller so we don't have to scroll down so far and even lose a few of the redundant blocks like the search
    and login sections.The pic of the month is limited to 500 pixels in width. It is large but even if it was smaller, the width of the column would remain the same. If anyone here is well versed in MySQL and PHP and has a few ideas, please let me know.

5. silverw

silverw Member

Thanks Ron....

I think I actually understud most of that. :roll:

I just wasn't sure if my old "dinosaur" was the cause of most of the difference! :shock:

6. Joseph

Joseph Member

Hi Ron,
    I'm sure it's a stupid suggestion, but have you tried to change your table width to a number of pixels instead of a percentage?
    I you put table width="1024" instead of table width="100%" it should prevent the whole page to be wider than 1024 (sometimes happening), shouldn't it?
  7. charliec

charliec Active Member

If you set the table width to an absolute value like 1024 pixels then it will force scrolling at lower screen resolution. The 100% value is a mechanism is to allow the browser to dynamically resize the page to fit the space available.
    It would be nice to have a conditional size like (resize if < 1024 pixels otherwise set 1024 pixels as width). Unfortunately the standards for html don't permit this.