Tips for holding while glue sets?

Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by RCBrust, Mar 3, 2007.

1. KCStephens

KCStephens Member

All of the above, But I personally like to use a pair of needle nose pliers with smooth jaws. This is a very handy tool to have it also comes in handy when making long folds - just clamp down on the piece right beside the score line then make your fold - it works like a charm.

Just another quick thought - Make sure you wipe any excess glue off your tools between uses - The last thing you want is a small spot of glue left on a clamp to tear the finish off of your part.
  2. Darwin

Darwin Member

For tubes and cylinders, I use the dowel technique, with the dowel pressing against the seam on the inside seam, and use a metal ruler on the outside of the seam to apply pressure more or less evenly along the full length of the seam. I've found it helpful when preforming the shape of the cylinder to wrap the part into a smaller diameter than the final part will have. That way, when you release the pressure on the card and it "springs" back, it will be close to the proper diameter, and won't introduce much in the way of shear stress when you are getting the glue to set. For wing trailing edges, I use the plastic clamps normally used to seal opened potato chip sacks...they come in various lengths, up to about 10 inches or so, and the plastic they are made from is slick enough that white glue doesn't stick to it very well. However, I think the real key is to use as little glue as possible.

I might also mention using joining strips whenever possible. My technique is to glue the joining strip to one side of the seam and allowing it to fully dry before starting to shape the cylinder, using the "sack sealer" to clamp the part and the joiner strip while drying.
  3. nicknaylo

nicknaylo New Member

Having a hairdresser for a stepdaughter, I use a lot of bobbie pins to hold tubes and cylinders together, Just did the tailpipes on a VW Beetle just fine. Also thos aluminum hair clips with the curved jaws, straightened out or bent to the curve I'm gluing, work great.
  4. dansls1

dansls1 Member

I'm old school and mostly hold things. I've used a hole gage to do some short tubes, but other than that I pretty much use my hands.
    I tried to use some little chip / paper clips - but they 'smush' the paper and leave marks that I don't like.
  5. DJPinter

DJPinter Trusted Confidant

I use spring loaded bunder clips, foreceps, scotch tape and 35 lbs of dumbbell plates.
  6. legal01

legal01 Member

First find an obedient wife or girlfriend and get them to hold the part for you......... after you have recovered from the injuries that this would definately cause you I use the novelty mini clothes pegs or larger pegs with cotton wool between them and the card so as to avoid marking the card while it dries. Just make sure that the cotton woll does not touch the glue or you will have whisps of cotton every where.
  7. xBobble

xBobble New Member

I have several reverse locking tweezers like this.
  8. Ron Caudillo

Ron Caudillo Creative Advisory Consultant Moderator

I find that the less glue used, the better. Just enough to get the surface wet and not squirt out.

Another thing I've had success with is to stick the parts together then immediately pull them apart. give them a second or two and re-stick them together- but this takes practice to get the right amount of glue applied. Sometimes I have to reapply just a tiny amount of glue. Works sorta like contact cement.

Best Regards,
  9. zathros

zathros SENIOR Administrator

ZIPDRY brand glue works way better than white glue. If you use Ron Caudillo's method, you can really see the matrix strands form, it dries clear, is non toxic, and lignin free, meaning, it will NOT yellow after it dries, no matter how much times goes buy! It also will glue dissimilar materials together, like plastic to cardboard, for windows, or windshields, Metal railings to the deck (small hole recommended) these are mechanical connections. Great stuff. Available at Micheal's Crafts Stores, and also on :)

10. Ron Caudillo

Ron Caudillo Creative Advisory Consultant Moderator

I'm gonna have to try this brand. Thanks for the recommendation. Always looking for an excuse to go to Michaels for inspirations (and goodies)!

Best Regards,