Tips for building without glueing tabs?

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by DarthPineapple, May 6, 2008.

1. Hello everyone,

Today I wanted to start on the USS Nimitz model from Yukiyuji, when I got it by email I took a quick look at it and I really looked nice with all the smal planes and so on. But when I looked a it again I noticed it had no glueing tabs!

My previous model also had no tabs, it was a free Supermarine Walrus, and it went pretty well, I though, but not as well as with gluing tabs. It also took a much more for the wings since they need support when drying etc.

But now at the Nimitz I don't know if it would be strong enough to hold the hull, and if it would I think it would be very hard for me to do so. :cry:

Does anyone every build the USS Nimitz or another model with no glueing tabs and has some tips or tricks for me to help? Or would it be the best to look at the instructions very carefully and draw them myself? I would really appreciate any help with it.

Thanks for looking. :)
  2. Soaring

Soaring Middle School Student

Of course! The Cromwell by NOBI has no tabs, save for the large pieces.
    You can do one of two things.... At the points where there seems to be a tab, draw it in with a pen :p

If you don't want to do that, just glue them. What do I mean when I say that, well....I'll take NOBI's Cromwell for an example. Apply glue to one edge where a tab would be, then glue it to the corresponding tab.
    REmember, tabs are just a guideing tool, you don't really need them :)
  3. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

I use Aleene's Fast Grab Tacky Glue have and found that models with no glue tabs go together more easily when using it. The fast grab feature makes it so you don't have to spend a lot of time holding the parts together while waiting for the glue to set up.

There is also an Aleene's Quick Dry Tacky Glue that works very good, too.
  4. Thanks for the replies.

Soaring, what do you mean with 'The Cromwell by NOBI' ?

SCEtoAux, I can try that but I live in the Netherlands and I dont know if they have that glue over here, I dont think so.
  5. On a second thought, I think I give a other model from Yukiyuji a go first. A more simple one to try to build without tabs. So tips are still welcome.
  6. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Two techniques - butt join - small bit of glue along the edge - press them together and wipe away the excess - use glue very sparingly.

Really the tabs are usually left off becaue they leave rather unsightly joins - one piece of card is higher than the other by the thickness of the paper. I try to sut most tabs off and cut a strip of paper about 1/4 inch (or less) wide and glue it to the back of one piece. Then apply glue to the other piece of card and stick it to the strip. This way the card is at the same level on both sides of the seam. Also dont forget to color the white edges in with a marker or paint or however you like!
  7. K_2

K_2 New Member

Alot of designers don't draw tabs on the model any more, it is assumed you know how to make your own tabs that glue on the inside of the model as described by Chris, makes for a nicer finish on the model.

My tip would be to try cutting all the tabs off a model you have built before, and try out the technique of producing your own tabs, it's real easy.

I always use a pencil to draw around the cut line, leave a strip one side and cut /\/\/\/\/\/\ into the other side.
    On some awkward tubes i cut /\/\/\/\ first, glue these to the inside of one tube and then cut more /\/\/\/\ in the tab paper when the glue is dry.
  8. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

soooo I go to all that work to get your old identity back and you still use K_2? :p

If I really want a tab (sometimes I do) and one does not exist - I just eyeball the tab - too much work to actually draw one ;)
  9. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

Check out how models with some kind of tubular construction on Ralph Currell's site closes the cylinder and joins the sections. I first saw those kind of joins when making Space Ship One a few years ago. Purty neet.:thumb:
  10. keith

keith Member

Yeah, didn't see till i'd posted - was on dads computer.
    buttjoint using glue tabs :-

and my method for awkward tubes :-

You can butt joint without a glue tab, it just depends on the thickness of the card.
  11. Thanks for all the replies. :thumb:

I already drawed some tabs on the Oliver Hazard Perry from Yukiyugi, it isn't a hard model to make and it was easy to draw the tabs. The only thing I'm stil struggling with is the 2 small botes on it... I made one yesterday and it wasn't what I expected... I'm not a very good cardmodeler but it turned out worse that I thought... anyway I see if I can do something about it.

cgutzmer, what would be the best thing to color them with and when do I have to do this, before or after the glueing?
  12. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Thanks to the picture Keith! And yea most designers these days expect the modeler to be able to make their own tabs...
  13. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Color before glueing and I just use markers - current ones are a huge set of bic markers I found at wal mart. Typically color in a lighter shade than the model actually is. A medium gray color works very well for most situations too.
    Glad to be of help!
  14. I will try that. I just found a new pack of markers with a light grey which looks exellent for ships. Thanks! :mrgreen: