Tip: HO Scale windows using Graphic tape

rustyrails

Jul 7, 2008
Massachusetts
I tried out making windows using graphic tapes and found the result to be satisfactory. Wanted to share this method.

These sizes are for HO scale. For the window framing i used 1/16" White Matt Graphic Tape and for the muntins i used 1/64" tape. These i got from ebay. It not expensive as the 1/16" was $1.50 and the 1/64 was $3.

Here are the steps....
Left: 1/16" Right: 1/64"
war3.JPG

I used ModelBuilder to create and print out my HO scale windows that i used as a template. You could also just use a ruler/pencil to draw the window templates. I used three windows at a time to speed up the assembly process.
war1.JPG

Acetate sheet/butyrate sheet on the template
war2.JPG

1/16" tape for the framing all around. The excess and the overlap are cut carefully using an x-acto knife so that the "frames" are flush with each other.
war5.JPG

1/64" for the muntins
war6.JPG

windows ready to be cut
war7.JPG

windows installed
war8.JPG

I hope you find this useful.
Don

rustyrails

Jul 7, 2008
Massachusetts
Great Idea, I love how they turned out.

About how far does the tape stick out from the building? I guess a better way of asking is how thick is the tape?

sorry, did not understand what you meant by it. actual size is 1/16 inch wide for the frame and 1/64 inch wide for the muntins. These sizes matches any retail window frames/muntins.

ocalicreek

May 4, 2005
Puyallup, WA
groups.yahoo.com
Reminds me of the old taut-thread trick, where two or more threads are pulled taut across the window area then tacked into place with glue. The excess thread can be cut away and reused, but the tension keeps them from going wavy.

Nice work, btw. Now let's see the rest of the building!

rustyrails

Jul 7, 2008
Massachusetts
Thanks all for your kind comments. This structure is actually paul templar's Since he had done the dimensions, i found it easy to follow but used casrdstock instead of wood.

I finished it yesterday and here are the pictures. I could not come up with a good name hence the "dorky" honest....

rn4.JPG

rn6.JPG

rn3.JPG

rn5.JPG

ocalicreek

May 4, 2005
Puyallup, WA
groups.yahoo.com
Great work! I've been staring at that last picture to figure out what was bugging me...then it hit me - the door looks chopped off on the bottom! Was this intentional?

Visited your Passingloop site - nice links! How do you like the Modelbuilder software? Seems to make some great textures. Thanks for sharing

rustyrails

Jul 7, 2008
Massachusetts
Great work! I've been staring at that last picture to figure out what was bugging me...then it hit me - the door looks chopped off on the bottom! Was this intentional?

Visited your Passingloop site - nice links! How do you like the Modelbuilder software? Seems to make some great textures. Thanks for sharing

Thanks ocalicreek for your comments. I know the door does look chopped after i took the picture. i added the decking that made it smaller. Should have made allowance for that.:cry:

Regarding modelbuilder, i love it. because of two features. it has a lot of textures (wood, bricks, stone, roofs) and structure details like doors/windows. The second is, i dont have to worry about Real World to HO dimensions. Before this, i was using ruler and square and i was always off.

ocalicreek

May 4, 2005
Puyallup, WA
groups.yahoo.com
The door should be an easy fix, if it needs to be. Depends on how the building will be placed (or, if you're just picky like me, then you just HAVE to fix it because you know it's there and it'll bug you if you don't!...but that's just me...)

Thanks for the modelbuilder review. I may have to invest in it. My current project is steaming along nicely so I don't want to break that stride. But it looks like a powerful tool for the reasons you mentioned et al.

Great little shed! Looking forward to seeing more of your work!