timetable of locomotive use

Discussion in 'The Real Thing- North America' started by drive911trbo, Dec 20, 2005.

1. drive911trbo

drive911trbo New Member

Can anyone guide me to a site with a timetable of when certain locomotives were in use? I'm specifically interested in transition era/ early diesel. Thanks
  2. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

I'm not sure about web sites, but I can give you a little info. The first streamlined diesels were probably the Emd E-1's which came out in 1938 to power the Santa Fe Super Chief. The F-t's which were the grand daddys of the f units came out in the late 30's as well. If I remember correctly Alco's Rs-1 came out about the same time. Right after WWII, Emd came out with the F-2's, F-3's, By the late forties they were producing the F-7's and F-9's. For passenger service at the same time they were producing the E-3's, E-6's, and then E-8's & 9's. Alco was building 4 axle Fa's and 6 axle Pa's. Fairbanks-Morse C-liners came out in the late 40's as well. The Gp7 came out in 1950 followed by the Gp9 in 1955. Alco came out with Rs2 & 3's and Rsd4/5's in the late forties as well.
  3. brakie

brakie Active Member

Simply put any diesel made after 1959 will not work in a transition layout.

Here is a site with the BUILD dates.This should give you information on the engines you can and can not use..Do remember that a engine built in 1930's would still be in operation in the 50s and some would last well into the 60's and some into the 70's.Some engines like the GP7,GP9 SD7 and SD9s are still in service.There's even a few Alcos still plying their trade!

4. railohio

railohio Active Member

How exact do you want to get? If you want a unit-by-unit countdown for a specific railroad then your best bet would be to pick up some books on the railroad. Back issues of Diesel Era would also be a good source for this information.

If you're looking for more general information, such as when a particular model was being produced you should probably look into the many locomotive encyclopedias produced in the last few years. Another source would be the model-specific books published by various companies.
  5. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

This was a point I was thinking of as I wrote my first response to your querry. I guess you could say the "transition era" floats depending on the railroad. In the case of the Appalachian coal haulers, their transition might be just starting in 1959 because they hung on to steam as long as possible due to their relationship with the coal industry. In the case of the Santa Fe, steam was virtually gone by 1952. I think they had a power shortage in 1954 or 1955 that caused them to bring some steam engines back for a few weeks in the summer harvest, but that was the end of steam on the Santa Fe. In the case of U.P. I think they kept the big boys running helper service on Sherman Hill into the late 1950's