Time to come out of the shadows

Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by Prowler901, Jun 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prowler901

Prowler901 Member

Greetings from Upstate New York. I've been lurking for a couple weeks now. Just getting started soaking up some of the great knowledge here. I've learned so much already thanks to all the wonderful modelers who are sharing their builds in pictures and words.

I'm not new to the model building world, but I am new to paper modeling. I've just completed my first model last night. It is the Blue Hyacinth Macaw from the Yamaha paper craft pages. It certainly was fun to build. And, a nice learning experience. I presented it to my wife last night (we are both bird lovers). I've downloaded a number of free aircraft, ship, car and sci-fi models. And, I'm working on my skills with those before I try to attempt a more complex build.

I'm finding I really enjoy working with the paper media. It seems so flexible in what can be accomplished with it.

Again, thanks to everyone here who is sharing their knowledge and experience. This seems like a great group of folks :)

2. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

WOOOOAAAAHH! Boy, you gave me a scare coming out of the shadows like that!

Tim P

PS Welcome!

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

"Out of the shadows of the hallways of cardmodels.net comes......Prowler" (insert erie music here).

Howdy Todd, and welcome to the forum, we are glad to have ya! So you are new to paper modeling huh? And ya like birds? Well, I dont know how many bird models there are on the following links, but I know there are several. And lotsa various other animals and even other types of models....all for free download. So, pull up a chair, get comfortable and start clicking.

http://www.3dpapermodel.com.tw/ - scroll down on left to "animals" special note: if a box asking you if you wish to download chinese or japanese fonts, you can click no, you wont need them on this site.

http://www.freepapertoys.com/pt-animals.html - there is a section on birds here.

http://www.yamaha-motor.co.jp/global/entertainment/papercraft/animal/index.html - this site has both rare animals of the world and rare animals of japan

http://www.peterjvisser.demon.nl/indexe.html - click "fun" in top center of page then scroll down for animals.

This should be enough to keep you busy tryin to figure out what to build next. They are all free but may require the adobe acrobat reader for .pdf files or winzip to uncompress some files. If you want links to free models of other subject, any subjects, hollar at me and I will be more than happy to get them to you.
    Again, glad to have you here, have a nice day,

Greg aka GEEDUBBYA (GW)
  4. Gil

Gil Active Member

Welcome aboard! The Japanese have a special place for card modeling especially animals, the Yamaha site being a prime representative. The following site has free trout models which when assembled are very life like.

See what's happening? You now have enough choices to be afflicted by Total Attention Deficit Disorder and this is the disorders home site. Kind of a self feeding thing....,

Best regards, Gil
  5. barry

barry Active Member

welcome Todd

i made an owl once but the head kept falling off

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy gil,

Funny you should mention that site, I left here after my above posting, went and downloaded the cutthroat and rainbow trouts and have already completed the cutthroat model. They turn out really well as long as you use the glue sparingly and dont get any "blotches" on em.
    But yes, I reccomend that site also for anyone who enjoys fish or fishing.
    From a distance they almost look real. I am in search of a rock for a display base now.

Have a good day,

greg aka GW
  7. rkelterer

rkelterer Member

welcome aboard - and - as pictures tell more than a thousand words (one of my finished :D models)

greetings from austria
  8. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Cool, Raimund. How did you get that model to just, well, float, in space, no visible means of support? Spooky. Or as my Grandmother would have said, 'Tis the Devils work!'

Tim P

PS Or Photoshop....
  9. Prowler901

Prowler901 Member

Thank you all for the warm welcome :) My current project is the the Gun Walker from Shunichi Makino. It has been good so far. So many little detail parts to build. Good experience for figuring out the best way to attack complex assemblies. I think my next project will be a small boat or ship. I have the Ambrose and a few others. I need to get some experience laminating sheets.

Thanks again :)

10. Bernie

Bernie Member

Raimund, und wo sind die Kartofeln da zu diese Forelle :D :D ?

Great work anyway - is there known a scale :) ?
  11. rkelterer

rkelterer Member

@tim: if you look at the top of the dorsal fin you can see a small hole and above it the clear :D nylon thread. so - no devil - and no photoshop either.

@bernie: no scale, but the real thing has a wide range, so you may say 'like nature' (unfortunately i do not have any matching potatoes :wink: )

greetings from austria
  12. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

Is that by chance a rainbow trout?

13. Gil

Gil Active Member

14. Prowler901

Prowler901 Member

Looks good enough to eat.... fresh trout cooked over the open campfire... ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.