Timber tunnel portal

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
I have recently "discovered" that I will "need" one of these... ;) but I'd like to scratch build it.

Can anyone tell me, or point me to a source, that would specify the dimensions of the timber used? Seems it would have to be pretty heavy stuff - maybe 10x10 or 12x12 (or bigger?) backed by 2x10 or 4x10?

Comments, advice, suggestions please!

Thanks... :)

Andrew

F

Fred_M

The ones I seen in real life appear to be made from ties. Heres on I made in HO using bass wood from 3/32 square stock. They are prob. a tad small, but no one seems to notice. The big beams are 1/4. DASH

Attachments

• tunnel.jpg
    tunnel.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 260

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Thanks dash for the measurements... 3/32 scales to about 8 inches, and 1/4 is just under 22 inches. Those are "big" big beams, and the smaller ones seem about right for ties.

Is that ceiling tile "limestone" visible in the cut?

Andrew

F

Fred_M

Yes, ceiling tile. The lights spots are due to the flash and are not seen under overhead light. DASH

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
They would be heavy support timbers, anywhere from 8x8's to 12x12's...
In most cases they would have been produced by a RR timber & tie plant, & treated with creosote.

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
I built a few wooden tunnel portals from a drawing in a RMC or MR. (Didn't find the drawing at the moment, sorry! :()

This one is on a H0n3 diorama (scenery is not finished - no, that's not snow! :D)
As you see, the timbers really are on the heavy side, I'd say in the 12"x12" range.

Ron

Attachments

• tunneldiorama.jpg
    tunneldiorama.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 187

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
And here another one, this time in N scale.
Again, the timbers are quite heavy. For sure they are more massive than the ties of the RR track.

Ron

Attachments

• woodtunnel.jpg
    woodtunnel.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 185

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
And here it is...

Thanks for the help everyone!

Here is what I came up with. The blue "hill" in the picture is just to make things a little darker in the "tunnel" so you get an idea of how it will look.

Andrew

Attachments

• timber portal 01 sm.jpg
    timber portal 01 sm.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 161

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Another shot

I will add the external bracing (a la Railron) later. I built the portal from "funwood" - it is also from Midwest, but is cheaper, and not really "to-scale" sizes.

This is my P2K 0-6-0 hauling the local run.

Andrew

Attachments

• timber portal 02 sm.jpg
    timber portal 02 sm.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 155
F

Fred_M

Looks good. I don't know that there really is a scale when it came to rough cut wood in the old days. I don't think some sawmills even owned a ruler before 1900. They just cut them to get the best yeild. Our old barn was built out of hand sawed oak beams between 6X6 and 14X14. DASH

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Thanks everyone for the kind comments!

Originally posted by Arlaghan
Looks great, Andrew!

I guess you will need another for the other end of the tunnel?

Arl - I have a plaster "stone" portal from Jordan Products for the other end. I have already painted and weathered it. I used it to get the approximate size for the wooden portal.

What I really need is a mountain in between! ;)

Andrew