Tilt-up or lift-out bridge ?

fastlane

Dec 12, 2003
PA. USA.
Visit site
I"m almost finished with the benchwork on my walkaround layout. I'd like to run 4 tracks over bridge.(1 foot wide?)How wide should I make the walk-through opening? 3'-4'?Is shorter better? Would there be less alignment problems with lift-out versus tilt bridge?

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
If you are just looking to make an entrance to your layout that will only be opened once or twice an operating session and it doesn't have to look like a prototype bridge, how about a swing bridge? Put a hinge on one end and a latch on the other. You would just open it like a gate.

C

Catt

If the bridge is in front of the door for entering the room I would make the bridge a couple of inches wider than the door just to ensure you don't snag any part of the layout walking through.

I think alignment problems will be the same either way.Personally though I would go for the tilt up.

fastlane

Dec 12, 2003
PA. USA.
Visit site
Thanks for the help guys! I do have a book on building benchwork ( recommended by another Gauge member. This place is GREAT!!) that gives some imfo on building lift or tilt bridges, but your pointers could save me time and trouble.