Tightest corner for an HO Dash-9?

joefryfry

joefryfry
I want to buy a Dash 9 Loco like the ones I see around here, but some of my corners are pretty tight. I'm not sure of my smallest radius, but have to know: what is the tightest radius of curve that an HO Dash 9 can handle without derailing? I don't know, pretty much a newbie. Thanks!

jim currie

not running that moderen of loco I'll guess that each makers unit will have a different minium radius.would think that a 6 axle unit would requier no less than a 18 inch rad. and some might requier a 20 inch rad. or larger.

viperman

I think it would need a 22". I know all my curves are 18" radius, and I won't even think of using a 6 axle unit on my layout (until I build a new one anyway)

The consensus seems to be 22-inch radius minimum for reliable running for HO 6-axle locos.

My personal experience: I've got some 6 axle locos (Athearn SD40-2s, FP45s, and an Atlas C40-8) and 18-inch curves, and they do tend to struggle a bit getting through them. The longer 6-axle units also tend to exert a lot of lateral force through the couplers, which might cause either the cars behind it to derail or uncouple.

I started out wanting to run long trains with uber-power 6-axle locos like SD70MACs and AC6000s. But over the years I've grown to prefer 4-axle locos instead-- Geeps and switchers just look a lot more at home on a small layout.

joefryfry said:
I want to buy a Dash 9 Loco like the ones I see around here, but some of my corners are pretty tight. I'm not sure of my smallest radius, but have to know: what is the tightest radius of curve that an HO Dash 9 can handle without derailing? I don't know, pretty much a newbie. Thanks!
I'am running A Kato AC4400CW on 18" and have no problems at all.But i've got a few 6 Axel Atherns which aren't near as long and they slow down a lot in the curve but do not de-rail.

Relic

LIT
I too also like four axel units. I've only been at this a couple of years and after srarting out with steam jumped ahead to GP40's 'n' such and now (as of last Saturday) I got three GP9's .I like the way they look.

Triplex

A Dash 9 will probably make it around 18"... on its own. It'll probably derail the car coupled behind it all the time. As others say, 22" is a more realistic assumption.

brakie

joefryfry said:

For long wheel base locomotives like the Dash 9 I recommend nothing less then 24" curves. You see the 24" curve will be able to handle long wheel base engines and cars.
=======================================================
Viperman said:I think it would need a 22". I know all my curves are 18" radius, and I won't even think of using a 6 axle unit on my layout (until I build a new one anyway)
=======================================================
Oddly SD7/9s will operate on 18" curves. but,I recommend 20" for the SD7/9.

spookman

My setup is all 18 inch eztrack. I have two new Athearn U28C six axel jobs that go through the curves and over the switches smooth as silk. They go around the corners like greased lightening. I think I will grab about 6 more of them while they are onsale. I have tried several other brands and only got good results with these.