Tiffany's Drugs

Uteram

Feb 27, 2002
Houston
Visit site
I've started on the main town of my layout and have started getting the structures built and been playing around with the placement. Tiffany's Drugs is named after my grandmother's maiden name. My grandmother grew up in an old deserted mining town in the mountains of Utah called Mammoth. I've chosen to model my Mammoth & Oquirrh layout based on a fictitious shortline that was a spur on the old D&RGW through the mining regions of Utah. (Footnote: Last month's Narrow Gauge Gazette ran an article that focused on an old mining short line in Utah at the turn of the century. The area that was discussed in that article is the same area I am modeling)

The town will (hopefully) have a resemblance to the town of Sheridan that Malcolm Furlow (my model railroading idol) built for his HO Denver & Rio Chama RR. I'll keep you aprised of the progress.

Uteram

Feb 27, 2002
Houston
Visit site
I wanted to give the building that distressed, "just out of the depression neglect" look. I used a lot of chalk to do the weathering. I have found that it is by far the best, and EASIEST way to weather structures.

Attachments

• tiffanys3.jpg
    tiffanys3.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 110

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
You dun went and did it again Uteram!! It's straight out of Silverton CO. :)

You're weathering is fabulous and I can just imagine a street with buildings in like condition. Posters on the windows is something I would not have thought of but they look just right.

I sure hope you're going to keep posting pics of further projects.

Errol

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Uteram my friend, thats some sweet weathering on the structure, I love it.
Shamus

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Excellent job on that structure, Uteram!
Fantastic weathering, great detailing!
I really like that Sherwin Williams sign!

marty w.

Jun 11, 2002
Bloomington, IN
Visit site
Excellent work. If that's a DPM kit, how did you do that mortar?
Chalk? I have alot of trouble with mortar lines in DPM kit's. It seems the mortar lines are not very deep and it's hard, for me any way, to achieve that look.
As Casey said, the water tank is a nice touch.
Marty

Uteram

Feb 27, 2002
Houston
Visit site
Marty,

Yes, it is a DPM kit ("The Other Corner" kit).

The mortar effect is easier to do than it appears. First, I take ordinary spackling compound and water it down to a "lumpy soup" consistency. Then I take an old fine brush (don't use one you plan to paint with again) and blotch the spackle into the crevices. Do only a small area at a time. Once the spackle starts setting up to a chalky consistency, take a DRY rag and wipe off the eccess spackle making sure not to remove the spackle between the bricks. If you don't like the results of a particular area, wipe it off with a wet rag and start over. Seal the finished results with Testors Dullcoat to get rid of the stark white effect. :)

Good luck!

marty w.

Jun 11, 2002
Bloomington, IN
Visit site
Originally posted by Uteram
First, I take ordinary spackling compound and water it down to a "lumpy soup" consistency.

Thanks. I have tried spackling compound before without success.
However, watering it down seems to be the secret. I'll give it a try.
Thanks again
Marty